coffeeFreak
Guru

Surprise, surprise! New sports complex costs rise

Post by coffeeFreak »

So predictable!

Sports complex costs rise

By Richard Rolke - Vernon Morning Star
Published: May 12, 2013 1:00 AM
Archeological work at the site of Greater Vernon’s future sports complex will cost more.

The Greater Vernon Advisory Committee had originally been told that an archeological study at Okanagan College would cost $20,000. But that has jumped to $50,000 depending on the scope of the work.

“It’s a provincial government requirement and it has to be done,” said director Bob Fleming.

“I hope it will be at the lower end of the scale.”

Okanagan College is contributing $10,000 and while some GVAC officials believe that figure should rise, director Jim Garlick says that’s not possible.

“The college is not a bottomless pit of money and they have their own (financial) challenges,” he said.

“We’ve spent more on legal fees on smaller items. It’s the cost of doing business.”

http://www.vernonmorningstar.com/news/206994251.html
Verminator
Board Meister

Re: Surprise, Surprise! New sports complex costs rise

Post by Verminator »

Methinks this is just the tip of the iceberg. I hope I'm wrong because I'm one of the taxpayers who has to pick up the tab no matter what the final bill turns out to be. I have a feeling 'white elephant' won't be an inappropriate description of this project once it's finished, but we'll see.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

I would agree that the outrage is a bit premature at this stage. The meeting i went to indicated a huge contingancy fund on this project worked into the $7.53mm budget.

But that has jumped to $50,000 depending on the scope of the work.

This article is poorly written,

what is the change is scope?
who is requiring the change?
If there is no change in scope what is the cost? $50k?
If there is a change in scope what is the cost? $50k?
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

And in other news in Vernon......

City council has told staff to begin estimates to determine costing of replacing the old Civic arena. The first choice would be to build another sheet of ice beside the Multiplex, but another sheet beside Priest Valley arena would be considered because the Multiplex site is tied up in court action with the Vernon Agricultural Society over the old horse race track. Estimates for the new sheet of ice are between 5 and 10 million. I can't wait to read the letters to the editor page in the paper.

I wish we still had Patrick Nicol's open line show to hear them vent.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

If the complex that Vernon is proposing is along the lines of the multi million dollar H20 complex in Kelowna use by the "child to senior" population will far exceed expectations ... by 200 to 300%. As a senior, being able to go there every day and exercise for little more than about $1.00 per day contributes a great deal to my mobility and standard of living. Provision is in place for those (especially children) who would not otherwise afford to attend the MANY DIFFERENT ACTIVITIES OFFERED by the Boys Club, who run the facility on behalf of the city.

If it is the "same old ice arena" proposal that is another matter all together.

Return to “Central Okanagan”