Dougs Boat Works 2013

Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Dougs Boat Works 2013

Post by Merry »

Considering Vernon is a tourist area, I would have thought there was an advantage into making sure landowners, particularly those with properties on the main drags, keep their premises reasonably tidy. It's a matter of civic pride.

While it's true that some of the particularly ugly eyesores were there before the highway was, that's no excuse for allowing a bad situation to continue. I see nothing wrong with the city issuing an ordinace requiring business's such as the one mentioned by the OP to either tidy it up a bit, or hide it by using strategically placed large trees or a fence.

As in doing so, the landowner would benefit the city as well as himself, I would not have a problem with the city allowing him a one time break on his property taxes to help defray the cost.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
melscarandtruckrental
Fledgling

Post by melscarandtruckrental »

Merry wrote:Considering Vernon is a tourist area, I would have thought there was an advantage into making sure landowners, particularly those with properties on the main drags, keep their premises reasonably tidy. It's a matter of civic pride.

While it's true that some of the particularly ugly eyesores were there before the highway was, that's no excuse for allowing a bad situation to continue. I see nothing wrong with the city issuing an ordinace requiring business's such as the one mentioned by the OP to either tidy it up a bit, or hide it by using strategically placed large trees or a fence.

As in doing so, the landowner would benefit the city as well as himself, I would not have a problem with the city allowing him a one time break on his property taxes to help defray the cost.

City can require a business to fence an enterprise before they license it but pretty hard to force the fencing issue after it's been there so long, besides why should the business bear the cost. Most small business these days are hanging in by their teeth. If the city after all these years decides they want to hide this eyesore they should bear the cost of planting some trees.
Better to keep your mouth shut and have people think your an idiot than open it and confirm it !!!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

melscarandtruckrental wrote:City can require a business to fence an enterprise before they license it but pretty hard to force the fencing issue after it's been there so long, besides why should the business bear the cost. Most small business these days are hanging in by their teeth. If the city after all these years decides they want to hide this eyesore they should bear the cost of planting some trees.

My comment here is not aimed at Dougs Boat Works:
Whenever I hear the city should pay or regional district, Province, Fed's this equals every taxpayer should flip the bill.
Those who may feel this is eye sore and something should be done about, than go with your own resources get permission and clean it up.
As I see it the city of Vernon is not concerned about this property.

Before you melscarandtruckrental jump all over my post it was not directed at you either, it was general statement to everyone who thinks government should step up in every situation (not every situation needs government funds) and fork over money to fix it.

Just a thought, it may or may not makes sense. Lack of sleep can do that sometimes.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Central Okanagan”