Millworker Accident

Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Re: Condolences

Post by Hassel99 »

Grizzly Pear wrote:It is the employer's responsibility to ensure their workers have a safe work space.
This is a terrible tragedy and I would put full blame for this mans loss of life...on Tolko.
Like I said, I hope they get nailed to the wall for this.

How good of you to collect all the facts before getting out the noose.
Grizzly Pear

Post by Grizzly Pear »

deleted by Grizzly
Last edited by Grizzly Pear on Jun 20th, 2013, 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Grizzly Pear wrote:No I won't go vent somewhere else and neither should you.
A company has a responsibility to ensure the safety of the people it employs.
A high school kid working at a mill doing clean up should be properly supervised , trained, and given proper safety protocol.
Don't dish up that crap to me....that child didn't have to die...there is definitely negligence on the part of the employer.
And yes, I hope they get nailed.

It sounds as though you may have a personal axe to grind with this company; something far beyond the scope of this particular incident. And if so, then that's your business, but this particular thread is not the appropriate place to vent it. A terrible tragedy has just occured, and this young man's relatives are going to need lots of love and support going forward. There will be plenty of opportunity to play the "blame game" later on, but not here and not now.
The appropriate authorities will be investigating what happened, and will be issuing directives to improve safety. They will also be looking into whether or not anyone was negligent and, if so, will be taking appropriate action. Let's leave it to them for now, and wait and see what they have to say.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
JJetson
Fledgling

Post by JJetson »

Grizzly Pear - I tried to respect what you said. Respect and condolences from this site for the Family. As said the Thorlakson family ( Private Owners ) has lost a family member themselves to a mill tragedy. They are sincerely remorsed by this accident and are personally taking action over and above Work Safe BC. Nailing someone to a wall does not help prevent this from happening again. What a terrible end to this very special young man's life ! RIP
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Grizzly Pear wrote:It is the employer's responsibility to ensure their workers have a safe work space.
This is a terrible tragedy and I would put full blame for this mans loss of life...on Tolko.
Like I said, I hope they get nailed to the wall for this.

What if the employer has all safety measures possible, but the employee ignored using them?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Gixxer wrote:What if the employer has all safety measures possible, but the employee ignored using them?

It was actually several employees who were ignoring the rules.

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Glacier wrote:It was actually several employees who were ignoring the rules.

I've heard the same from inside sources.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Millworker Accident

Post by Smurf »

If that is true it is a huge problem. Young workers watch the older experienced workers to see what to do. If they are breaking rules then the young /new workers figure it is okay and this is what happens. It is the same with our kids. If we use illegal drugs, drive drunk, speed, break laws or whatever they will see it as okay to do. We have to realize that at home, on the job or whatever we are influencing those around us and sometimes those influences are bad and this is what happens. We must constantly think about this in our day to day activities and set good examples. We expect police etc. to set proper examples while we often don't see a need to do it ourselves.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Millworker Accident

Post by grammafreddy »

10/10 ^^
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

Return to “Central Okanagan”