$1500 = a human life

dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Re: $1500 = a human life

Post by dogspoiler »

It looks like the cyclist was going the wrong way.
It also seems that the car went all the way across the bike lane, over the curb, and into a pole. That would seem to be quite a lapse of attention.
Black Dogs Matter
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Yep, quite the lapse especially when she was speeding ... Officers testified Harman was going 70 kmh in a 50 zone before hitting Fraser with her car.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

grammafreddy wrote:And what makes you say this woman should not have been behind the wheel? A momentary lapse could be caused by a previously unknown medical incident, I spose. Her driving record is clean - she wasn't prone to accidents or being ticketed for anything.

However, you are entitled to your opinion just as I am entitled to mine - people under the age of 25 are not mature enough or responsible enough to have driver's licenses.

Fair enough, it was speculated that the driver had a pre-determined condition from what I remember reading, she had just dropped off her friend at the airport or something or other.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

The cyclist was also not wearing a helmet, but from what I've heard through next of kin, her neck was broken in 3 places so I don't think a helmet would have helped much.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
jimsenchuk
Lord of the Board

Post by jimsenchuk »

This woman should not be allowed to ever drive again, and yes i hope she remembers it all, if she has a medical problem then why is she even driving, such a cheap price to pay for a young life. Also, don't be blaming the victim. Shame on anybody that does.
The only effective answer to organized greed is organized labor.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

I believe that there would be a drivers and medical exam before her licence would be returned.

I do not mean this statement to carry blame in any way Jim, but it seems if the cyclist had been in the correct lane for her direction of travel, she would have been on the other side of the road. Safe and sound.
Black Dogs Matter
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Why should any price be paid? It was an accident, its not like she went out with the intent of killing someone.

Her license should be suspend till she can pass a category 3 medical exam.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

jimsenchuk wrote:This woman should not be allowed to ever drive again, and yes i hope she remembers it all, if she has a medical problem then why is she even driving, such a cheap price to pay for a young life. Also, don't be blaming the victim. Shame on anybody that does.

I am always astounded at some people's attitudes that the dead can do no wrong or cannot somehow be responsible for their own death. If they have placed themselves in a position or made decisions that resulted in their death, then the old adage "don't speak wrong against the dead" kinda flies out the window. Was she a victim or was she a victim who had some part in her own death?

If a person's doctor believes they should not be driving, I do believe they are required by law to revoke their patient's driver's license or to take action to have it revoked. Obviously this woman's doctor did not feel her medical condition was severe enough or of the kind of nature that revoking it was necessary.

How can anyone put a $$$ price on a dead person's life? $1500 isn't enough? How about $5 more? $500,000 more? A million? Two? For what? And to whom would it go? Not to the family of the deceased for sure. More like straight into the government's coffers. So, really, what does it matter how much her penalty is?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

The loss of a young life is always a tragedy , however , this did not have to happen. The cyclist was traveling on the shoulder (bike lane ? ) of the roadway , but traveling against the flow of traffic. If she had been going the other way , she still would have been hit , but from behind. There is also a bike / walking path about 20 feet off the roadway at that spot. An out of control vehicle could easily cross the median and strike someone riding or walking on that path too. Had the cyclist been on the correct side of the road , or on the path , this particular woman in this particular car would not have hit her. That being said , someone else , in a different car , at a different time , could have. It is about personal safety , you have to take EVERY precaution available to protect yourself , and then just hope that drivers are also driving safely , and safe to be driving. Had the driver been under the influence , or driving agressively , I would say Manslaughter and throw the book at her. The speed limit in the area may well be 50 however traffic flows at 60+ on that road. A bigger fine , or jail time would not be apropriate in this case , however , I firmly believe that the driver should probably not be opperating a motor vehicle anymore. If she has a medical issue , or can't concentrate enough to have this happen once , it could happen again. My father ( 75 ) had a couple of momentary lapses behind the wheel , but no accidents. He realized that he maybe should not be driving anymore , so he stopped driving.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

Unfortunately, this is why I ride against traffic.

It's silly to argue blame. It's a tragedy that both parties will not soon forget.
Clipper

Post by Clipper »

StraitTalk wrote:Unfortunately, this is why I ride against traffic.

It's silly to argue blame. It's a tragedy that both parties will not soon forget.

I ride WITH the traffic and I won't be going into the traffic lane when we meet and I'll use the traffic lane when I want to pass you if you're riding in the right direction

There is no arguing blame; the driver went into the bike lane at 70KMPH and whether the cyclist was wearing a helmet or riding the wrong way is totally irrelevant unless the driver was making a right turn and even then the cyclist would have the right of way.

A driver who "doesn't know what happened" has no business being on the road although an unprecedented medical condition would be a very tragic coincidence.

Too many people are not aware of the consquences of inattention when they pilot a 3,000 lb projectile on streets

Return to “Central Okanagan”