Dog bites child

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Dog bites child

Post by Bsuds »

I hope the 5 yr old was not bitten badly and recovers both physically and mentally with no complications.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Dizzy1 wrote:Its interesting, the internet. One reads a story, and 99% of the time, you don't know anyone involved, so its easy to judge and be opinionated. We all do it, myself included. But when you read something that involves people close to you, the judgements and opinions seem to be more prominent, understandable, we're all human. So is the case with myself in regards to this story. I'm very close with the people involved, both the family dog sitting as well as the family who owns the dog.

- First of all, the home involved was not strange to either the dog or the child, the home is a second home for both and both spend vast amounts of time there, in most cases together.

- The dog and child are not strange to each other, again, they spend lots of time together.

- The grandparents are very dog savvy, they've owned dogs all their lives and know exactly how to control, watch them and what can happen and are extremely responsible of their pets, children and grandchildren.

- The owners of the dog are just as responsible and have provided nothing but love and leadership to the dog.

- Dogs are animals, and while I agree 100% that one should always be cautious with kids and animals (not just dogs) because sometimes, things like this can happen for no fault of the child or intent of the dog to do harm.

- At the time of the incident, both the child and dog were being suprervised as any responsible person would do.

- Why the dog bit, is not know.

When I grew up, we had a dog, the most loving dog one could ever hope for, wouldn't hurt a fly. But once he got older, he started getting arthritis and next thing we noticed, after all those years, he would just start snapping for no reason. Given the pain he was probably in, it was decided to put him down. Point is, it can happen, with no provocation or aggression history.

Anyway, the child involved and is in good spirits, and that is all that really matters.

Good to hear the child is doing well, but that is not all that matters. The dog still has to be dealt with, otherwise what is to prevent another bite in the future? These "dog savvy" people knew that a dog can bite especially a child for no apparent reason without a history of aggression and had no idea how to prevent that. Hopefully, before they babysit someone else's child or dog, they will have an idea of how to prevent it.
Xia33
Übergod

Post by Xia33 »

Here's a novel idea....let the parents and grandparents of the child and the owners of the dog deal with it?? Why is it that everyone feels the need to "deal with the dog" In a public forum? Why and how was this news in the first place? Did this come from the police? The hospital? The paramedics? Or the actual people involved? If they are all family and/or friends, I am sure they will be able to deal with it themselves. In the history of dogs and kids, there has always been kids getting snapped at and/or bit. Leave these people alone and let them handle it.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

It's a discussion board. People post here to discuss news items. That's why people are offering their views to this news item.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Hopefully, before they babysit someone else's child or dog, they will have an idea of how to prevent it.

Keep child and dog apart though I don't think that was reasonable in this case.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Xia33 wrote:Here's a novel idea....let the parents and grandparents of the child and the owners of the dog deal with it?? Why is it that everyone feels the need to "deal with the dog" In a public forum? Why and how was this news in the first place? Did this come from the police? The hospital? The paramedics? Or the actual people involved? If they are all family and/or friends, I am sure they will be able to deal with it themselves. In the history of dogs and kids, there has always been kids getting snapped at and/or bit. Leave these people alone and let them handle it.

Wisest post in this thread.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Xia33 wrote:Here's a novel idea....let the parents and grandparents of the child and the owners of the dog deal with it?? Why is it that everyone feels the need to "deal with the dog" In a public forum? Why and how was this news in the first place? Did this come from the police? The hospital? The paramedics? Or the actual people involved? If they are all family and/or friends, I am sure they will be able to deal with it themselves. In the history of dogs and kids, there has always been kids getting snapped at and/or bit. Leave these people alone and let them handle it.

I actually agree with you completely xia33. In the good old days that's how it was done, and generally that worked fine. But now we have a whole different set of laws regarding dogs which are being applied rather unevenly across the province. In one case you might be able to fly under the radar and let the concerned parties deal with it. In another case it becomes a federal case and people get dragged through court over a relatively minor incident and the "powers that be" are determined to interfere and actually make things more difficult for everyone involved. By discussing publicly what people think about how things should be handled maybe some of these laws could be applied more consistently and fairly. Right now there are concerned citizens trying to amend the laws regarding dogs so that the public safety is still balanced against the rights of the dog owner. Sweeping the whole mess (and it is a mess in this province) under the carpet does not help anyone who is trying to stay within the law. People shouldn't have to find out they have randomly violated the law and possibly their dog destroyed after the fact.
Xia33
Übergod

Post by Xia33 »

It's a discussion board. People post here to discuss news items. That's why people are offering their views to this news item.

I was asking why it became news in the first place ie., who reported it? I would guess, under the circumstances, it was not the people involved. Maybe this is part of the problem...?
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

A common sense post, dogs and kids will always have some kind of interaction going on, kids will get bit, dogs will get kicked. It will go on as long as there are kids and dogs. There doesn't have to be a mountain made out of every molehill.
Black Dogs Matter
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

It's possible the paramedics reported the bite to the police.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

It was serious enough incident to call paramedics.
Xia33
Übergod

Post by Xia33 »

Yes, it said that in the article...but who reported it to the news/Castanet?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

As I said, it is possible the paramedics reported the matter to the police - they may be under an obligation to do so (I don't know). From the police then to the media.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Fancy wrote:It was serious enough incident to call paramedics.

Maybe not, some people freak out over minor injuries, sometimes they have no transportation available.
Black Dogs Matter
Xia33
Übergod

Post by Xia33 »

From the police then to the media.

It stated in the article that the paramedics were called, and they called the police....so could be a neighbor who reported it to the news? Why would the police report it to the media?

Return to “Central Okanagan”