Dog bites child

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Dog bites child

Post by Fancy »

Police send out news releases - just another possibility. Maybe a reporter or news hound happened on scene following the police to the residence.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Based on my own experiences of dozens of dog bites there is a very good chance that the dog did not bite on purpose but they may have been playing with a toy or roughousing a bit, a dog jumping to grab a toy and the kid yanking it back can lead to accidental bites.
Black Dogs Matter
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Fancy wrote:Police send out news releases - just another possibility. Maybe a reporter or news hound happened on scene following the police to the residence.

Another possibility ... if they took the child to the hospital, maybe the hospital is required to report dog bites?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

dogspoiler wrote:Based on my own experiences of dozens of dog bites there is a very good chance that the dog did not bite on purpose but they may have been playing with a toy or roughousing a bit, a dog jumping to grab a toy and the kid yanking it back can lead to accidental bites.

Agreed - lots of reasons a dog will bite and does not mean the dog is vicious. What this news item can accomplish though is a little more awareness that dogs aren't toys and children need to be taught respect towards animals.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Bsuds wrote:I hope the 5 yr old was not bitten badly and recovers both physically and mentally with no complications.

The child is doing great, looked a lot worse when it happened but is healing up very nicely, and as far mentally, still loves the dog and even said it wasn't the dogs fault, it just happened.

Silverstarqueen wrote:Hopefully, before they babysit someone else's child or dog, they will have an idea of how to prevent it.

Its much easier to lecture people online about things, and people you don't know, isn't it? So, what is your suggestion? Keep dogs and children and seperated at all times? Won't work, this is the real world, dogs and kids are like PB and Jelly. Keep a muzzle on the dog when ever a kid is around? Well, what happens when a dog bites an adult or another animal? Then we have to keep a muzzle on the dog at all times just to appease those who think they know better than people they've never met before? So, maybe you'd care to train these folks the proper way to babysit or dogsit?

I'm not sure who released the news, but after it happend, a 911 call was placed (as should, even just as a safety precaution), RCMP and Paramedics attened and the child was taken to the hospital. Fortunatly the grandmother has her first aid, which obviously helped make the right decision to call the paramedics just to be on the safe side.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

I hope things work out well for all. When kids and dogs are around each other, kids will be bitten and if dogs could talk some of the stories would be shocking.
Black Dogs Matter
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Glad to hear the child is okay and still loves the dog. I've been bitten by all sorts of animals for various reasons including my own pets and the love is still there - accidents happen.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

One thing a lot of pet owners don't realize is that for many of us our pets are part of our family. If one of my dogs were to do thus, I don't know what I would do, my dogs are my kids and just to decide to put them down in a snap decision is unimaginable.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Dizzy1 wrote:
Its much easier to lecture people online about things, and people you don't know, isn't it? So, what is your suggestion? Keep dogs and children and seperated at all times? Won't work, this is the real world, dogs and kids are like PB and Jelly. Keep a muzzle on the dog when ever a kid is around? Well, what happens when a dog bites an adult or another animal? Then we have to keep a muzzle on the dog at all times just to appease those who think they know better than people they've never met before? So, maybe you'd care to train these folks the proper way to babysit or dogsit?

I personally don't care how they babysit or dogsit. I happen to agree that dogs and kids should be free to mix. But it doesn't matter what I think. What I am trying to do is get people to realize what the law says and how someone's dog could be put down for it, even a dog which is not aggressive, and with a child who has not done any wrong. Read section 49 of the Community Charter and you will see how this dog and every other normal dog in B.C. is at risk for being put down, even in some cases when they have not bitten anyone, or have never shown aggression before, say an accidental bite. it has happened to others and it will happen again. You can get all snippety with me if you like, but most dog owners seem to be completely unaware of the situation, until the day Dog Control picks up their dog and they can't say a single thing about it, their dog is destroyed. So that is my advice, ignore it if you like. Some people might prefer to look in to how to protect their dogs. The cases that did go sideways here in the Okanagan and elsewhere in B.C. didn't go that way because of the news, but because of the way the law is enforced in this province. Ignorance is bliss, until it isn't.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Reading Section 49 is not going to prevent accidental bites.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

It might save this dog's life, he is still at risk for being PTS. It might save someone else's dog from a similar fate.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

No one seems to be complaining about the dog so I wouldn't worry about it.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Silverstarqueen wrote:
I personally don't care how they babysit or dogsit. I happen to agree that dogs and kids should be free to mix. But it doesn't matter what I think. What I am trying to do is get people to realize what the law says and how someone's dog could be put down for it, even a dog which is not aggressive, and with a child who has not done any wrong. Read section 49 of the Community Charter and you will see how this dog and every other normal dog in B.C. is at risk for being put down, even in some cases when they have not bitten anyone, or have never shown aggression before, say an accidental bite. it has happened to others and it will happen again. You can get all snippety with me if you like, but most dog owners seem to be completely unaware of the situation, until the day Dog Control picks up their dog and they can't say a single thing about it, their dog is destroyed. So that is my advice, ignore it if you like. Some people might prefer to look in to how to protect their dogs. The cases that did go sideways here in the Okanagan and elsewhere in B.C. didn't go that way because of the news, but because of the way the law is enforced in this province. Ignorance is bliss, until it isn't.

That doesn't answer my question. You're giving impression that these people didn't do enough to prevent the bite, going so far as torecommend the learn more. So I'd like to know what you think they should have done?
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

I answered your question. We have people saying, no one is complaining about the dog, so don't worry about it. We have people who say they don't know why the dog bit. We have a law, which leaves this dog at risk for being put down. We have a whole bunch of people who do exactly as the people in this case did, and think they are doing fine. This dog can still be picked up in a heartbeat and put down. Read that carefully and you will understand my advice. GEt informed, don't just wave it off because you think it can't happen to this dog or your dog.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

What exactly is the advice? Reading the section?

Return to “Central Okanagan”