Support for Conservation Officers

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Support for Conservation Officers

Post by Rwede »

crazyoleme wrote:First off post a quote from a reliable source that stated the bear charged the officer (use of the term loosely and in singular form).

How many times do I have to repost the article that says it?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Until you actually do....
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

When they arrived to the area in the District of Coldstream they found the animals treed, but when the trio came down, the mother began acting aggressively, said conservation officer Sgt. Josh Lockwod.

"The sow bear came right back and approached the officer. At that time she was dispatched."
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Not surprising that the CO's story changes like the wind

But conservation officer Sgt. Josh Lockwood says they made the decision to shoot the bears after weighing several factors, including the fact there was an elementary school nearby.

The bears had also killed turkeys and were chasing newborn calves on a neighbour's farm, he said.

"The assessment was made to attempt to tranquilize these bears that were extremely high in the tree," Lockwood said. "The fall would have been probably severe."

Tienkamp, who filed a complaint with the Ministry of the Environment, said she was also upset because conservation officers did not inform her of their decision to shoot the bears.

"It was outrageous," she said. "We were not informed that this was happening and we were actually walking within 30 feet of those rifles going off.

"They endangered our lives and our domestic and livestock animals by not warning us to get in the house."

Good on the farmer for complaining and pointing out that the RIFLE (not shotgun!) was discharged in their opinion endangering them and their domestic and livestock animals!

C/O can not seem to make up his mind from one media source to the other..... but being as he would have to play the aggression up good to quantify and cover his royal butt on his shoot and answer to it after the fact approach to conservation his lies are heard loud and clear.....

this was not a righteous shot at all, in any way or form!
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Rwede wrote:When they arrived to the area in the District of Coldstream they found the animals treed, but when the trio came down, the mother began acting aggressively, said conservation officer Sgt. Josh Lockwod.

"The sow bear came right back and approached the officer. At that time she was dispatched."

a total waste of breath and CYA approach to conservation! Lies! and the ministry needs to take issue with this CO or more animals are and will be killed needlessly!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

C/O can not seem to make up his mind from one media source to the other
Seems not to have changed so far.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

Seems not to have changed so far.[/quote]

I can't see this going anywhere. You can present black and white, but some posters choose to change it up any way to 'prove them right'. The whole thing makes me so angry that people still don't get, and the animals suffer because of us. Sad.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

C/O can not seem to make up his mind from one media source to the other
Fancy wrote:Seems not to have changed so far.

Seriously!
In the first media report the bears are too high up in a tree and would suffer severe injury if tranked! Hence the decision to kill.

Next media outlet and magically the bear is not only out of the tree but now acting out on a human with a rifle that is approaching it.

C/O school 101.... do not approach as this will be seen as being aggression towards the bear and the bear will react back!

This C/O did exactly what they are supposed to do if this is what took place... but I stand by the statement that this is nothing more than a bid to cover his hinny especially now that there is an official complaint on file....

Have to respond to it and better be right approach .... bureaucracy at its finest! Lie and cover your butt if you know what is good for you!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Hence the decision to kill
Please refer to the news item you are quoting from. I don't recall reading that.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

The cubs were the ones that were too far up the tree to be tranquilized safely, not the sow. The sow charged the officers and was shot. The CO's account of what happened has not changed one bit. I think someone's trying to twist it to be so, however.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Crazyoleme have you stopped to consider it's the media outlets messing up the story? They tend to do that a lot.

crazyoleme wrote:This deer did not, nor did the bears, display any aggression whatsoever to any human or other animal! They merely appeared and let themselves be observed by humans! Brave move on the part of the animals! Little did they know that manKIND would react in such an AGGRESSIVE AND DEADLY manner....

Do you know anything about animal behaviour? That deer would have become dangerous very shortly, and like I said before, a bear with cubs is ALWAYS a danger, to top it off it was chasing cattle (so you're wrong, it was displaying aggression towards other animals).
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Actually I do ... many, many years..... born and raised.... and I 100% totally disagree with your views or better stated imagination....
and as the bear issue complainant was the farmer who had interaction with this particular animal.... gee guess they did not think the shooting was justified or done properly either!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

crazyoleme wrote:and as the bear issue complainant was the farmer who had interaction with this particular animal.... gee guess they did not think the shooting was justified or done properly either!

http://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/977 ... Coldstream

I thought it was the neighbour's livestock that was threatened.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Fancy wrote:http://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/97796/Mother-bear-2-cubs-shot-in-Coldstream

I thought it was the neighbour's livestock that was threatened.

x2 on that. But how could she bash the COs for doing their job (and a very good job) if she stuck to the truth?

Return to “Central Okanagan”