Support for Conservation Officers

omisimaw
Guru

Re: Support for Conservation Officers

Post by omisimaw »

Fisher-Dude wrote:The cubs were the ones that were too far up the tree to be tranquilized safely, not the sow. The sow charged the officers and was shot. The CO's account of what happened has not changed one bit. I think someone's trying to twist it to be so, however.

Way to go Dude! Another tale and story .....

Quoted the first and more than likely the true rendition of why these lovely animals were put down unnecessarily twice now...

How anyone could say that the account of what happened has not changed one bit on a thread with several variations of media stories is beyond me!

Must be the green herb interacting with reality LOL
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Fisher-Dude wrote:The cubs were the ones that were too far up the tree to be tranquilized safely, not the sow. The sow charged the officers and was shot. The CO's account of what happened has not changed one bit. I think someone's trying to twist it to be so, however.
Agreed.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

*off topic/personal attack removed*/ferri
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Crazyoleme have you stopped to consider it's the media outlets messing up the story? They tend to do that a lot.
Of course the media makes errors ....

But it is also very plausible that the conservation officer changed his view and story to cover his hinny ... to take him off the radar of the Ministry who are in possession of a formal complaint!

As to farmers and interaction well what has not been stated is there are laws that give farmers the right to shot predators and they do just that all the time, they do not call in the wanna be cop C/O packing his pistol to take care of their issues! Normally they take care of their own issues!
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

two conservation officers and some of her neighbours standing over the bodies of the three bears.

Plausible, maybe, but highly unlikely anyone changed their story as there were more than one witness to this event

http://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/977 ... Coldstream
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

crazyoleme wrote:
As to farmers and interaction well what has not been stated is there are laws that give farmers the right to shot predators and they do just that all the time, they do not call in the wanna be cop C/O packing his pistol to take care of their issues! Normally they take care of their own issues!

Actually the COs use shotguns for dispatching problem animals, not pistols. You are very short on facts in your blind rage.

The pistols are for dealing with idiots on 2 legs who physically attack COs for doing their job.

I guess you'd rather see farmers waving rifles around and shooting in an urban interface area instead of professionals trained to remove problem animals safely with the proper gear.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

try reposting without personal attacks - Jennylives
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

crazyoleme wrote:

Rwede wrote:Actually the COs use shotguns for dispatching problem animals, not pistols. You are very short on facts in your blind rage.

The pistols are for dealing with idiots on 2 legs who physically attack COs for doing their job.

I guess you'd rather see farmers waving rifles around and shooting in an urban interface area instead of professionals trained to remove problem animals safely with the proper gear.

*off topic remark removed*/ferri

Professionals is a very loose term in this case! and with this CO!

Shotguns .... again you are on about shotguns! If not the standard issued pistol then you prove and post some ministry evidence of the shotguns issued!!!!

And you bet I would love more farmers to step up and deal with it if it means keeping the wanna be's out there waving pistols in the crowd.

Urban interface area LOL... you mean man moving into the wilderness and then saying hey there are bears out here, what should I do....

simple answer move!
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

crazyoleme wrote:Shotguns .... again you are on about shotguns! If not the standard issued pistol then you prove and post some ministry evidence of the shotguns issued!!!!

And you're on about pistols! Since you're demanding proof of a shotgun being used, then why not post up some proof of a pistol being used? Just because they're issued a pistol doesn't mean they use it for everything.

crazyoleme wrote:And you bet I would love more farmers to step up and deal with it if it means keeping the wanna be's out there waving pistols in the crowd.

And where are you pulling this from? Also, am I to read this as you're fine with the bears being shot if a farmer had done it? Why is that different?

crazyoleme wrote:Urban interface area LOL... you mean man moving into the wilderness and then saying hey there are bears out here, what should I do....

simple answer move!

Wilderness? Coldstream is hardly the wilderness.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
Bretbaby
Übergod

Post by Bretbaby »

You are damned if you do, damned if you don't.

1) I bet if these CO didn't kill the bears and let them go and they got into this woman's livestock and domestic, she would be singing a different tune.

2) If these CO let the bears go and they attacked any of the kids at the elementary school, people would be complaining.

3) The mother is teaching the bears easy food. Do you people not get that? The bears WILL COME BACK. If the CO didn't shoot them this time, the bears would come back and the CO would be faced with the same situation. Once bears learn of easy food, they come back, it doesn't matter if they are relocated.

4) Don't get me wrong, I'm sad that the bears had to be destroyed, but if other communities (Port Alberni, Naramata, Summerland) can go through preventative measures to avoid contact with bears, then why can't the North and Central Okanagan?

5) There are not enough bear hunters. People start hunting bears, it levels off the numbers and the bears learn to avoid areas where they are being hunted.
jimsenchuk
Lord of the Board

Post by jimsenchuk »

5) There are not enough bear hunters. People start hunting bears, it levels off the numbers and the bears learn to avoid areas where they are being hunted.

If you hunt the bears, you better eat the meat and not just take the pelt, bear meat is really good, give it a try. Bear fat is really good for leather boots also. Do the CO's give the bear meat to anyone that wants it?
The only effective answer to organized greed is organized labor.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

crazyoleme wrote:And you bet I would love more farmers to step up and deal with it if it means keeping the wanna be's out there waving pistols in the crowd.

Urban interface area LOL... you mean man moving into the wilderness and then saying hey there are bears out here, what should I do....

simple answer move!

Since when has any pistol been waved about in a crowd? As far as what people should do with bears in the area - there are lists available on the internet on that very topic. To start with, secure garbage and discourage the animals from approaching. Too many people encourage interaction without realizing that the consequences usually end up with dead animals. Don't know why that is but look at the uproar in this case. That mother bear was teaching her cubs the easy way of getting meals and her previous cub won't last long if it keeps showing up. As far as moving, I doubt farmers would entertain that thought just to get away from wildlife - doesn't make sense.
Bretbaby
Übergod

Post by Bretbaby »

jimsenchuk wrote: If you hunt the bears, you better eat the meat and not just take the pelt, bear meat is really good, give it a try. Bear fat is really good for leather boots also. Do the CO's give the bear meat to anyone that wants it?

Definitely eat the meat!! My husband is a hunter and he does NOT shoot anything unless we eat it. I hate trophy hunters.

The COs should give the bear meat to a homeless shelter. Then again, the meat might not be that good if the bear(s) are feeding off garbage.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

By law, the meat from these black bears must be utilized. They cannot be shot for the hide only.

Bear smokies and pepperonis are absolutely awesome, and the hams, steaks and roasts are deliciously sweet in flavour.

I hope to find a "berry bear" for the freezer this fall.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
baconbits
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by baconbits »

I hope a "berry bear" finds a hunter to munch on.

Return to “Central Okanagan”