Neighbour installed a camera pointing at my house/ window

steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Neighbour installed a camera pointing at my house/ windo

Post by steelrules »

JoePlanner wrote:Dickish but completely legal. The onus is on the homeowner to create a private space. If you want privacy, close your blinds. This would never in a million years get to court. The court wouldn't spend longer than 10 seconds deciding to decline considering it.

So your trying to tell us that if I stand in my kitchen window and stare into your bedroom every time you open the drapes, as in a peeping Tom, you would have no recourse, I find that laughable.
"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves"
Edward R Murrow
Now a proud member of the NRA & Canadian Sport Shooting Association.
Sic Semper Tyrannis
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Yes, I agree not very neighbourly to have a camera pointed at your property/looking into a window or windows.

What I suggest first have mirror film http://www.homedepot.ca/product/mirrore ... eet/919621 placed on any of window/windows viewed by this camera, then install blinds http://www.rona.ca/en/blinds---venetian-blinds.

Mirror film is so you can continue to use this window/windows during the day you can see out but camera will not be able to see in & blinds for nighttime.
Last edited by GordonH on Sep 12th, 2013, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
JoePlanner
Fledgling

Post by JoePlanner »

steelrules wrote:So your trying to tell us that if I stand in my kitchen window and stare into your bedroom every time you open the drapes, as in a peeping Tom, you would have no recourse, I find that laughable.

Listen, I'm not saying it's a good thing, but that's the way it is. Nothing illegal is happening there unless, maybe, it's wrapped up in other behaviour that could be considered harassment (tenuous at best). A property line is not a magical wall through which no light passes. If something can be seen, it can be seen. Period. If you don't want people looking into your bedroom, don't leave the blinds open. You are responsible for what you wish to show the outside world.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

steelrules wrote:So your trying to tell us that if I stand in my kitchen window and stare into your bedroom every time you open the drapes, as in a peeping Tom, you would have no recourse, I find that laughable.

IMO there should be no expectation of privacy through a window visible from the street. Of course this is subjective but if it can be clearly viewed from the street, how on earth can you expect privacy? You might as well be in your front lawn.

I just cut down a tree that was in front of my ensuite window. Now my backyard neighbors can see into my bathroom from their kitchen. This is MY PROBLEM, not theirs, i have installed blinds to protect my privacy. If i keep the blinds open and prance naked, (you don’t want to see this) and they watch, that is MY BAD not theirs.

PS - be carefull with laser pointers. in the usa there are many cases with teenagers getting 1-2 years in prison for shining laser pointers at planes and helicopters. Not sure about the status in Canada but it can not be too far off.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/26/4150238/teen-gets-30-months-in-jail-for-laser-pointer-attack-under-faa-new-law
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

Why do you have to post a red herring about laser pointers and planes in the US? are you trying scare people from taking a harmless action against an intrusion into their private space? an action that only sends a message to the intruder.

Laser with a tripod 45 m range on sale now $75.00
http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Lase ... /8347031.p
Edward R Murrow
Sic Semper Tyrannis
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Lazer level won't work because it has a mirror that reflects the beam back and forth into a line. You can get a lazer pointer from the dollar store for about 5 bucks , but you would have to rig it to a rechargable battery.
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

gordon_as wrote:Lazer level won't work because it has a mirror that reflects the beam back and forth into a line. You can get a lazer pointer from the dollar store for about 5 bucks , but you would have to rig it to a rechargable battery.

OMG, I have 2 and both project a line or a dot, red dot being the most powerfull, PLEASE! if you don't know what your talking about don't post misinformation.
Edward R Murrow
Sic Semper Tyrannis
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Well Exxxxccccuuuusssseeee Me. My ignorance is in part due to the fact that I don't actually own a housewifes laser level , which is wonderful for hanging pictures.. I have two other tools instead . 1) a real level , 4' with a bubble , and 2) for serious surveying a laser builders transit , neither of which have a cute red dot. Both require a tiny bit of skill to operate correctly.
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

gordon_as wrote:Well Exxxxccccuuuusssseeee Me. My ignorance is in part due to the fact that I don't actually own a housewifes laser level , which is wonderful for hanging pictures.. I have two other tools instead . 1) a real level , 4' with a bubble , and 2) for serious surveying a laser builders transit , neither of which have a cute red dot. Both require a tiny bit of skill to operate correctly.

We are not here to insult each other, at least I'm not, I'm here to discuss an ignorant neighbour.
As for your remark regarding your skill Meh!
Call me when you've been a draftsman, machinist, die maker, engine builder, welder, carpenter and business owner in Kelowna for over 35 years, till then Meh!
Edward R Murrow
Sic Semper Tyrannis
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

As a draftsman, machinist, die maker, engine builder, welder , carpenter and NASA engineer , I would have thought you would have an appreciation for something called accuracy. I hope you don't use your laser level for anything more involved than hanging a set of cupboards for your customers.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

It would appear we have couple of apparently educated people, were all is needed is a set of blinds.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

I am actually a Janitor with Grade 12 (barely) , I just assumed he forgot to mention the NASA thing.

What would be nice is if the neighbor would adjust his camera so it wouldn't look into someone elses house. Problem solved.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

gordon_as wrote:What would be nice is if the neighbor would adjust his camera so it wouldn't look into someone elses house. Problem solved.

Well, thats up to a.s.k52 to ask his/her neighbour to do. If that does not work than go but a set of blinds as I mention earlier.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Yes, and have them decorated to say "Mind your own business *bleep*" when they are turned shut.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I wonder how many windows Google Streetview looks into ...... Image
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

Return to “Central Okanagan”