Do People Really Not Get It?

Bretbaby
Übergod

Do People Really Not Get It?

Post by Bretbaby »

Two more stories about animals getting into garbage and food left out. And it's probably the same people that complain when conservation officers have to kill bears.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#98952

"If bears access those calories through human-provided food such as garbage, fruit trees and bird food, they become habituated to humans and often must be destroyed because they are a public safety risk.

Habituated bears can’t be relocated because the bears return to the same neighbourhood, become a problem in another neighbourhood or struggle to survive and compete for food in another bear’s territory and often starve to death."

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#99057

"Police found three raccoons on the front porch pilfering food left out for family pets."

My point? Clean off your fruit trees, clean the ground underneath fruit trees, close/lock your compost, lock up your garbage, put away your bird feeders and don't leave food out for your pets (or bring it in at night - why you would want to leave your pets outside is beyond me with such animals lurking around).

-----------> And please don't direct me to the other thread on bears - it has been locked for a week for "clean-up".
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Re: Do People Really Not Get It?

Post by Hassel99 »

If you feed bears or leave out food that could be eaten by them, you might as well be pulling the trigger yourself.
samanthataylor729

Re: Do People Really Not Get It?

Post by samanthataylor729 »

so many people leave food outside or don't properly close their garbage cans and yet wonder where they have an issue with bear and racoons. If you don't want your area invested don't leave out bait!

Return to “Central Okanagan”