Taxman makes Patrick Nichol an unhappy man

southy
Lord of the Board

Taxman makes Patrick Nichol an unhappy man

Post by southy »

I read the story today in the Okanagan Saturday about how Patrick Nichol a former Vernon broadcaster and presently a city councillor is so saddened by the latest court ruling. I'm not sure I agree with Mr. NIchol, nor do I have alot of sympathy for him.
If that was you and or me not paying taxes for a couple years ... saying "gee I forgot" it really wouldn't cut it either, so how does Mr. Nichol think that he should get off, just because "he forgot to pay his taxes ....for a couple years". Something tells me there is more to this story that is not being told. Perhaps in time. I find it interesting that it always seems to be its the "those that have" that complain the loudest when something upsets their world. Yet, for the little guy .. we don't have really have much of a voice. Suck it up Patrick ... you'll be fine.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Taxman makes Patrick Nichol an unhappy man

Post by grammafreddy »

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/local ... 01213.html

Nicol paints dark picture of tax agency
Saturday, 12 October 2013 02:00 Okanagan Saturday staff

Patrick Nicol

A Vernon politician fined $2,000 for failing to pay his income taxes on times says his experience with the Canada Revenue Agency has been 'tremendously disheartening.'

Patrick Nicol, a city councillor and chairman of the Regional District of North Okanagan, took the unusual step of buying an ad in a newspaper after the B.C. Court of Appeal upheld the fine.

"I am proud of the dignified way I have defended myself based on the principles of what is correct and fair. I have not lashed out with a harsh word at any point publicly during this personal matter," Nicol writes in the nearly-full page ad, which appeared on Friday in the Vernon Morning Star newspaper.

Nicol was fined $2,000 in February in provincial court for failing to file his income tax papers in 2007 and 2008 by the designated time. He told reporters after the ruling that he had simply forgotten to make the filings on time.

But he nevertheless launched the unsuccessful appeal. In the newspaper ad, he said he appealed the matter because of a pledge he made to his mother, and also in protest at what he described as the "bullying tactics" of the CRA.
He accuses the tax collection agency of acting in a "secret and arbitrary manner, such actions being capable of ruining the personal and financial lives and reputations of Canadians."

Nicol was a broadcaster and general manager at a Vernon radio station for more than 40 years. In the newspaper ad, he suggests his troubles with the CRA were part of the reason he left the station in 2011.

"The case triggered a loss of an outstanding 42-year broadcast career, a loss of over one million dollars in wages and benefits, and legal costs and untold heartache," Nicol says.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Thanks Gramma ... I should have linked the story :)
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

If he lost over a million dollars in wages and benefits between 2011 and now it sounds like he was WELL paid.
To well by the sounds of it. As the General Manager of a radio station, he should have been able to afford an accountant.
I am pretty sure that accountant would have advised him of his tax situation.

Suck it up Mr Nichol.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I can't even begin to fathom how one "forgets" to file their income tax on time.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

grammafreddy wrote:I can't even begin to fathom how one "forgets" to file their income tax on time.

Ask any Senator, they seem to forget lots of things.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

grammafreddy wrote:I can't even begin to fathom how one "forgets" to file their income tax on time.

"Entitlement syndrome" grams, plain and simple.
Chill
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Who knows, maybe Patrick will offer Revenue Canada a wonderful Cross pen as a prize and all will be good LOL!
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
image999

Post by image999 »

Last edited by image999 on Jan 16th, 2014, 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

It's actually is fairly common, especially among business owners.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Oh please, he lost his job over a CRA fine for not filing on time!
Hardly!
It is not that he did not file, he filed late and $2,000 fine says it is noted but not a life changing event. He was not trying to evade taxes as seems to be everything else was in order, so big deal....

wonder what he thought hiring a lawyer for $$$$ to fight a $2,000 fine?

Any bets in his lifetime he has not filed on more than just these two occasions, maybe even fined.....

And he made a promise to his mother? Really hahaha wonder what that is all about!

Be interesting to see if CRA publish this judgement.... note to self ... check in a couple of months to see if they do!
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

"The case triggered a loss of an outstanding 42-year broadcast career, a loss of over one million dollars in wages and benefits, and legal costs and untold heartache," Nicol says.

I doubt he made a million dollars at the radio station in 10 years plus the radio station could not fire him just because he choose not to file income tax papers on time.If I have a good employee whom is working for me I could care less if he filed his taxes late .something stinks about this whole deal

Return to “Central Okanagan”