City of Vernon Fails a Simple Math Test

Glacier
The Pilgrim

City of Vernon Fails a Simple Math Test

Post by Glacier »

The city increased their parking rates earlier in the year, and you would think that could do some simple math so that you pay more for parking longer (just like it was before), but this is not always the case. For example, if I pay for 9 hours, I pay $4.50, but if I pay for 24 hours, I only pay $4.00.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Jo
Slot 16

Re: City of Vernon Fails a Simple Math Test

Post by Jo »

The economy=size time frame, I'd think? The ferries parking is the same, it is higher rate for short-term than it is for anything at or over 24=hours.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

It is done that way by design, this way revenue is maxamized for the short term parker and still reasonable for the longer term parker. This situation is not unique to vernon at all.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Jo, when I drive to work, the ticket dispenser gives me 4 options:
1) 1 hour = $0.50
2) 2 hours = $1.00
3) All Day [24 hours] = $4.00
4) MORE OPTIONS

Selecting 4 gives the following options:
1) 4 hours = $2.00
2) 6 hours = $3.00
3) 1 week = $17.00
4) MORE OPTIONS

1) 3 hours = $1.50
2) 5 hours = $2.50
3) 7 hours = $3.50
4) MORE OPTIONS

1) 8 hours = $4.00
2) 9 hours = $4.50
3) [blank]
4) MORE OPTIONS [selecting this takes us back to the first menu]

Before they upped the rates, I would either select 7, 8, or 9 hours depending on what time I arrived at work, but not anymore. I understand the idea of giving a discount for a day or week, but why even offer the last menu choices if the discount rate is less than or equal to hourly rate? It makes no sense. All it does is cause the buttons to wear out faster as people scroll through more menus before figuring out which option to select.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Bureaucracy, working hard for you.

Return to “Central Okanagan”