Vernon program seeks volunteers to drive around slowly.

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Vernon Program seeks Volunteers to drive around slowly.

Post by Dizzy1 »

Fancy wrote:Not slow - obviously people aren't paying attention to the new speed zones.

The new speed zones are a joke. OK Landing Rd just got reduced from 70 to 50 (nevermind the pointless 30 schoolzone infront of Ellison), Tronson Rd by the airport got bumped down to 50 from 60l and since Kal Beach is so popular in the middle of winter, thats 40 all year round. To be honest, I can think of maybe 2 or 3 roads around here that are above 50kmh and thats it.

This city is refusing to grow with its population and actually get the infrastructure in place to keep it moving, a city our size should not be in this constant state of gridlock day after day, mind you Victoria's 'effed up timing of the traffic lights on Hwy 97 and 6 isn't helping us either.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

Which roads are you thinking, Dizzy? Old Kamloops and Silver Star Road? Sure boggles the mind that you can drive 60 on SS rd, right past that lovely corner at L&A Rd ?!?

Apparently the kids who attend schools on "main roads", such as Beairsto on 27th St or VSS on 15th St, are either wayyyy smarter in traffic, or they don't deserve to be as safe as those attending Fulton, Ellison or Ok Landing. Fences, and even, a special lane to walk on that is completely separate from traffic, and yet STILL cars have to slow down to 30 to pass by these schools? No wonder people come up behind you and lay on the horn, Councillor O'Keefe, because they just don't understand why they actually need to slow down. I agree with Dizzy, these particular speed zones are a joke!

How about $1,500 to educate kids how to walk on a lane that is dedicated for them to use as pedestrians - now that would be better use of those dollars!

How about $1,500 for the City to place an ad in the Morning Star to explain what the BIKE LANES are for? Not for pedestrians and joggers! The City issued a press release in the summer, but the Morning Star didn't bother to print the details of what can and can't be done in the bikelanes. Well then, buy an ad!

Last night I witnessed an extremely poorly lit jogger, not wearing anything reflective and mostly black clothing, running in the bikelane along OK Landing Road - Hey lady, you are not a bike, and you have no lights! Why on earth would you choose to run right beside the roadway, when you could safely run on the multi-use path, well away from traffic? Meanwhile, vehicles are slowing down all around this person, as we could barely make out her out running beside the road, and that makes the whole experience less safe for everyone. Talk about paying attention!
(._.) ( |:) (.-.) (:| ) (._.)

Putt's Law: "Technology is dominated by two types of people, those who understand what they do not manage and those who manage what they do not understand."
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Yeah, I think Silver Star and Old Kamloops are really the only 2 roads close to town (never mind in town) that are still 60kmh. There is a bit of Kal Rd towards the end that is 70 and I think Buchanan is 60.

As for the jogger, that brings up another concern about the crosswalk on 25th Ave by Lincoln Lanes, as a pedestrian, there is no way to see if the yellow lights have been activated or not. And the crosswalk by the airport, anyone notice if they at least have installed some street lights there yet? That would be a much better and needed safety improvement as opposed to having a bunch of clueless old farts driving around wasting gas and filling the atmosphere with uneccessary emissions.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Any particular reason Ok Landing Road had the speed limit dropped?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Fancy wrote:Any particular reason Ok Landing Road had the speed limit dropped?

Lots of retirement villages down that way would be my guess LOL! Not sure what the real reason is though, they repaved the stretch back in the summer and the construction limit was 50 and they just left it since.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

I live out there and am seeing an unexpected rate of compliance to the new limit. New 50 signs on tronson as well , 60 was never the problem , it's the goofs I watch doing 90 there on a pretty regular basis. Apparently , if you want to test out your vehicles acceleration that's the place to go. NOTE : Have not personally seen any enforcement of the new speed limit yet.
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

Slower for ambulances???
(._.) ( |:) (.-.) (:| ) (._.)

Putt's Law: "Technology is dominated by two types of people, those who understand what they do not manage and those who manage what they do not understand."
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Vernon program seeks volunteers to drive around slowly.

Post by Dizzy1 »

I saw one of the "pace cars" today, looked like an early 2000ish silver Sonata, had a big "pace car" bumper sticker on it. He/she was parked downtown ... maybe repeated parallel parking along main street to slow down traffic even more? LOL!
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

I think it would be more useful to have "Pace Walkers" to show pedestrians how not to jay walk right in front of traffic. We already have enough drivers who drive slower than the limit, why add more?
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Have to admit I didn't read this thread in its entirety or any associated links and made an assumption that there would be people driving all around town at the speed limit. Saw a recent article in the Vernon news paper and it seemed to explain that these pace cars would be operating through school zones, in particular, the school zone along OK Landing Rd. That makes more sense to me now. It will be interesting to see if it is effective or not.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I learn something new every day:

Does the Pace Car provoke road rage?
No. Many people who have signed up to the Pace Car Program were already driving the
speed limit. They report that incidents of road rage decrease when they label their car as
a Pace Car. The Pace Car sticker informs other drivers as to why they are driving the
speed limit.

http://www.parachutecanada.org/download ... 10SE13.pdf
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Silverstarqueen wrote:I think it would be more useful to have "Pace Walkers" to show pedestrians how not to jay walk right in front of traffic. We already have enough drivers who drive slower than the limit, why add more?

LOL, now that is a good idea, couldn't agree more :)

Fancy wrote:I learn something new every day:

Does the Pace Car provoke road rage?
No. Many people who have signed up to the Pace Car Program were already driving the
speed limit. They report that incidents of road rage decrease when they label their car as
a Pace Car. The Pace Car sticker informs other drivers as to why they are driving the
speed limit.

http://www.parachutecanada.org/download ... 10SE13.pdf

We already have slow moving vehicle identifiers ...

... and yes they do cause road rage LOL!
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Steve-O wrote:Have to admit I didn't read this thread in its entirety or any associated links and made an assumption that there would be people driving all around town at the speed limit. Saw a recent article in the Vernon news paper and it seemed to explain that these pace cars would be operating through school zones, in particular, the school zone along OK Landing Rd. That makes more sense to me now. It will be interesting to see if it is effective or not.

These are folks in there own personal vehicles with a "pace car" bumper sticker. If they are only to be used in specific areas of town, does that mean they will be speeding in non designated zones? =-D
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

I wonder what happens if they're involved in a MVA, does the taxpayer help out with the insurance or are they on their own whilst conducting their drive arounds?
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Good question, if volunteer no, if employee yes.

I have pondered the use of pace cars during rush hour on gridlocked highways. Block all lanes with a pace car that drives at a steady speed set by what it would take to iron out stops and starts. Have a fleet of them in larger cities like van. Be a huge fuel saver and reduce accidents. And would probably reduce driving time as well.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.

Return to “Central Okanagan”