Vernon program seeks volunteers to drive around slowly.

Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Vernon program seeks volunteers to drive around slowly.

Post by Hassel99 »

From the Morning Star

Attempts are being made to slow speeders down on Vernon roads.

The City of Vernon is one of 10 Canadian communities that have received a $1,500 grant for a pace car program.

“The program involves seeking out community members to sign up as pace car divers,” said Wendy Majewski, transportation demand management co-ordinator. “These drivers then agree to drive in a manner courteous to other road users, especially pedestrians and cyclists. Pace cars are therefore able to calm traffic throughout a neighbourhood.”

There has already been considerable support for the initiative.

“Okanagan Landing Elementary School is on board with the program and East Hill Community Church is interested,” said Majewski.

Coun. Juliette Cunningham is pleased with the program, especially since speed limits changed on part of Okanagan Landing Road.

“People don’t like going 50 kilometres an hour when they used to go 70,” she said.

The $1,500 grant is from Parachute, a group dedicated to preventing injuries and saving lives.

So they are going to drive around and clog up traffic?

I think this is a horrible, wasteful idea.

Your thoughts?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Vernon Program seeks Volunteers to drive around slowly.

Post by Captain Awesome »

Well, it's one way to support the seniors, I suppose...
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

And Stupid!

They always tell you if you are holding up someone who wants to speed then it is safer to pull over and let them pass.
Now they want you to do it on purpose!

Stupid is as stupid does.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
dg3
Board Meister

Post by dg3 »

just tell the bicyclers to ride in the middle of the lane and scrap the bike lanes.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Who is paying for the road rage victims and their vehicle damage?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Wow! That is a really good way to pee people off.
We have all been behind those ones on the highway driving in the left lane, refusing to pull over to the right, because they are doing the speed limit.
What brain box came up with this idea?
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Someone driving 30 in a school zone is totally different then someone parked in the left lane of a highway holding up traffic.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I noticed the new speed sign warnings so I'm thinking these volunteers will only be in certain areas.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Why does the title of this thread erroneously suggest that people will be driving around slowly , when in fact they will simply not be exceeding the speed limit ?
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

gordon_as wrote:Why does the title of this thread erroneously suggest that people will be driving around slowly , when in fact they will simply not be exceeding the speed limit ?

Ah, but they will have the ability to tell themselves that they are the "keepers of the speed" for everyone else on the road.
I am seeing blue hair and hats. The people who drive 20k under the speed limit at all times and stop at green lights because they are safer than all the other drivers on the road.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Sounds like a passive-aggressive way of attempting to slow people down. Unfortunately, controlling people with passive aggression tends to generate a counter-desirable response.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

According to the Morning Star today, looks like this program is a go.

What I'd like to know is are these volunteers going to be properly trained with the actual laws of the road, or are they going to let them go out there and let them preach what they think is the law of the road?

Also, this seems to be in complete contradiction to the City's efforts in reducing car emissions.

Personally, I think this is pointless, stupid and uneccessary ... we have enough old farts doing this in their Subarus and Toyotas on their way to A&W for their morning gripe fest.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

Great program for "pedestrian-congested areas" and "neighbourhoods", as the City's Transportation Demand coordinator explains.

Pretty sure I've not once encountered pedestrian congestion near OK Landing School over the past decade, but I surely have seen all those parents with their SUVs and cars, parked nilly willy, to drop off and pick up the kids.

I would also argue that for the most part, OK Landing Road is a commuter, and not a neighbourhood road. When we call it 25 Ave, it has 4 lanes with a 2-way turning lane in the middle - this is not a neighbourhood lane.

Would be far better use of $1500 to pay a senior or a coordinator to work with parents to WALK kids to school and home.

Anyone remember crossing guards? Yeah, we don't bother with those any more because no one bothers to walk to school - only to McDonalds & back at lunchtime!

Can anyone explain why in Vernon, transportation demand management apparently means managing all manner of transportation, except for the transportation that 98% of us take, i.e. the gas-guzzling vehicles that we drive in Sprawlville?
(._.) ( |:) (.-.) (:| ) (._.)

Putt's Law: "Technology is dominated by two types of people, those who understand what they do not manage and those who manage what they do not understand."
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

gordon_as wrote:Why does the title of this thread erroneously suggest that people will be driving around slowly , when in fact they will simply not be exceeding the speed limit ?

Yes, Hence SLOOOOWWWW
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Not slow - obviously people aren't paying attention to the new speed zones.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Central Okanagan”