RCMP officer faces charges

goatboy
Guru

Re: RCMP officer faces charges

Post by goatboy »

rvrepairnut wrote:bob your 99% correct as to how things went down.I don't think anyone actually said she deserves to die however a lot said she herself was 100% responsible for her death and caused her own death and therefore could only blame herself
which as we know is debateable

What was the 1% he was wrong about?
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

bob vernon wrote:This whole case will boil down to just when the chase was ordered terminated and what happened just before and just after the order. Things like was the crash an accident or not. Did the crash occur after the chase was called off? Of course the girl shouldn't have run. But never say that she deserved to die, as some have said on this site. Nobody does.

Whether or not an "order" was disobeyed will be irrelevant.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

bob vernon wrote:Go to page one of this thread.

By all means please do, and then without embellishing what you see to suit your spin, please tell us who said she deserved to die.

Her own actions that evening caused her death, but I haven't seen anyone say she deserved to die, that's simply a stretch on your part, not to mention more than a tad tacky.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Elroth

Post by Elroth »

bob vernon wrote:This whole case will boil down to just when the chase was ordered terminated and what happened just before and just after the order. Things like was the crash an accident or not. Did the crash occur after the chase was called off? Of course the girl shouldn't have run. But never say that she deserved to die, as some have said on this site. Nobody does.

No it won't. It will boil down to "Was he driving in a CRIMINAL manner according to section 249 of the criminal code of Canada?".

33 pages of argument, and still no evidence that the cop bashers have bothered to google the offence.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

You seem to be the odd man out here Bob Vernon. I would say that the odds of you now being right about your accusatory statement regarding the yound lady "deserving" to die are in the neighbouthood of a million to one.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

the truth wrote:could also not find it.bob can you please show me were you see the word deserve on page one please

still waiting bob
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

RCMP officer Micah Chan will find out this afternoon whether or not he has been acquitted of charges related to dangerous driving causing the death of Courtenay Brianne Eggen.

In a surprise move Wednesday, Chan’s defence lawyer did not call a single witness once the Crown wrapped their case. Instead Neville McDougal entered an application of no evidence, meaning the defense argued there was never any evidence to prove the case that Chan drove dangerously.

Judge Wallace dismissed that application Thursday morning, saying she believed there was some evidence to support the charge of dangerous driving.

The question now is whether there is enough evidence to convict him of the charge.

Chan’s defence lawyer does not believe there is enough evidence and has been entered for a second application, this time for lack of evidence to convict. Chan’s lawyer told the judge that he believes there is not enough evidence to convict Chan beyond a reasonable doubt. And without enough evidence his client must be acquitted of the charge.

Now Judge Wallace must decide. She asked for a three-hour recess Thursday to come to a decision and is expected back in the Salmon Arm courtroom at 2 p.m. to relay that decision.

If she is agrees with defence council and approves the application, Chan will be acquitted of the charges. If she disagrees however, defence will no longer be able to argue their case and a conviction is likely.

We will have the judge’s decision when it comes down this afternoon (Oct. 30).

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#125871

no evidence? not enough evidence to convict?

would that be the case if there was video presented/disclosed?

would that be the case if gps/accelerometer data was presented/disclosed?

would that be the case if blackberry messages and calls were presented/disclosed?

would this be the case if the iio were able to look at and present evidence/data from the time officer chan believes he saw Courtenay's vehicle?

from our discussion in this thread and others i believe you can see the relevance of these questions.
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

bottom line, she pulls over when the cop tells here to, she is still here today
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

the truth wrote:bottom line, she pulls over when the cop tells here to, she is still here today

or as what this is all about had he quit the chase when instructed to maybe she would have slowed down? we will never know
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

the truth wrote:bottom line, she pulls over when the cop tells here to, she is still here today

good point the truth.

did the iio investigation consider whether or not the lights were on, and was that info found/provided?

did Courtenay ever know she was being pursued by the police?
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

Doesn't matter, full acquittal . What a waste of valuable court time.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

correct, she was old enough to know better,she pulls over like we all should she is still here today,to many people on here always deflecting the blame on someone else . a cops turns on there car light you pull over, end of story
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:
did Courtenay ever know she was being pursued by the police?

What difference would that make? If she did, why didn't she pull over as required, if she didn't then all other questions are moot.
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

Too bad she had to die, bad decisions were made and this is the result :(

I also agree about some posts about unanswered questions, I hope they are answered once the case documents are filed and made public.
I kinda expected the decision based on what some know, and that is I find the system unbalanced. No way no how is the IIOBC in any way independent.

The IIO’s jurisdiction extends to officers appointed as special provincial constables, the Stl’atl’imx Tribal Police, municipal constables and members of the RCMP in BC, both on and off duty.

The IIO, the RCMP and other police services in British Columbia all conduct investigations pursuant to the Criminal Code and other statutes.

Our justice system so intertwined, like kissing cousins, lawyer vs lawyer judged by a lawyer with each one working with police and so called independent investigators who happen to be police from another jurisdiction... I guess its the best we can come up with for now... The system is good if only humans were not the weak link in the chain.
“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient, while nature cures the disease." & “doctors put drugs of what they know little into bodies of which they know less for diseases of which they know nothing at all.”
- M. de Voltaire
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

You do realize that your quote states who the IIO is responsible for investigating and NOT who they are made up from, right?
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.

Return to “Central Okanagan”