RCMP officer faces charges

Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: RCMP officer faces charges

Post by Treblehook »

10/10. Well stated. Bet it doesn't accomplish a darn thing though.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

"What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach."
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Elroth wrote: My personal theory is that this charge is baseless and political.

Oh trust me you aren't alone there, you've got my vote.

Someone died that night so it's best to have something for the bashers to cling to.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

The charge may be baseless and political , but may also be a good thing. This way the courts will have an oportunity to view the evidence and rule based on the evidence , and that evidence will be public record. If Cnst Chan actually did something "wrong" he will face the consiquences. If he did not the court will find him not guilty and explain why.
If the powers that be simply decided that there was no basis for any charge , that would leave the matter open to wild speculation by the cop haters and the court of public opinion.
Some good can come of it.

Here is a completely Hypothetical example...- A peace officer drives his cruiser off the road because he momentarily lost situational awareness while entering info on his console mounted laptop computer. Court finds him not guilty of dangerous driving because as a peace officer , he is not confined by distracted driving laws , however , the court revisits the aforementioned distracted driving laws and detirmines that while use of a cellphone may be necessary while in motion , use of a laptop computer constitutes too high of a risk to public safety.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

It seems to me that you are quite right in respect to charges sometimes being preferred for "political" reasons... and in agreeing to this I take the liberty of using the term "political" in it's widest possible definition. For example, it is not unheard of for the decision makers [within investigative agencies] to advance reports to Crown Attorneys for decisions on whether or not to prosecute, even where they feel charges are not necessarily warranted. Making a public announcement that they have forwarded their report to the Crown pushes any potential "heat" up the line. Similarly, it is not unheard of for the Crown Attorney to authorize a charge in these types of cases, even where the likelihood of conviction is iffy at best, thereby advancing the liability associated with the eventual outcome to the courts. Of course, I am in no position to say that is what has occurred here. As suggested by the previous poster, this is not always a bad thing in that it insures the evidence is publicly aired in the courts. This "political dynamic" is but one more reason why we should be reticent to make premature judgements as to guilt,

Unfortunately, there is very little in life that is "black and white" but much falls into what we call the "grey" area. People who are prudent and objective thinking understand the necessity of sifting through that grey area in a court of law, Coroner's Inquest or a Commission of Inquiry, to establish and weigh all of the facts prior to passing judgement.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

rvrepairnut wrote:After a brief pursuit, the pursuit was ordered terminated. Shortly thereafter, the RCMP officer reported being off-road near Auto Road and 50th Ave."

At the time of the crash witnesses told Castanet the only reason the police gave up pursuit was because the police car involved in the chase had crashed

Did the witnesses have access to hear the police radio instructing the pursuit (if there even was one) be terminated? No, they did not, so all they saw (or didn't see but heard), is a police car in the ditch. For all you know (which is not much) is that the police car ended in the ditch , which is what the charge was for. You have no idea whether it happened before or after the pursuit (if there even was one) was called off.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

This whole case will boil down to just when the chase was ordered terminated and what happened just before and just after the order. Things like was the crash an accident or not. Did the crash occur after the chase was called off? Of course the girl shouldn't have run. But never say that she deserved to die, as some have said on this site. Nobody does.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Not gonna read back over 32 pages to see if anyone ever said she deserved to die , pretty sure I would be wasting my time. Some have said that she is responsible for her own death , which makes sense to me.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

bob vernon wrote:This whole case will boil down to just when the chase was ordered terminated and what happened just before and just after the order. Things like was the crash an accident or not. Did the crash occur after the chase was called off? Of course the girl shouldn't have run. But never say that she deserved to die, as some have said on this site. Nobody does.

Unless you have a quote - you are wrong. No one has said any such thing.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

bob vernon wrote: But never say that she deserved to die, as some have said on this site. Nobody does.

Please provide a quote to support that statement, short of that a recant or apology would suffice.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

yup...
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Go to page one of this thread.
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

bob vernon wrote:This whole case will boil down to just when the chase was ordered terminated and what happened just before and just after the order. Things like was the crash an accident or not. Did the crash occur after the chase was called off? Of course the girl shouldn't have run. But never say that she deserved to die, as some have said on this site. Nobody does.

bob your 99% correct as to how things went down.I don't think anyone actually said she deserves to die however a lot said she herself was 100% responsible for her death and caused her own death and therefore could only blame herself
which as we know is debateable
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

bob vernon wrote:Go to page one of this thread.

Did - the word "deserve" not to be found.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

could also not find it.bob can you please show me were you see the word deserve on page one please
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “Central Okanagan”