RCMP officer faces charges

rvrepairnut
Board Meister

RCMP officer faces charges

Post by rvrepairnut »

Looks like this womans family may see some justice served after all.Looks to me like had the officer stopped pursuit when he was ordered to this death may not have occoured.anyone have a opinion out there?
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Re: RCMP officer may face charges in death of Cherryville wo

Post by KL3-Something »

Yes. If she had pulled over and stopped she'd still be alive.

Her death was her own doing.

The "charges" that may stem from this could be one of "Fail to Keep Right" for going off road.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

KL3-Something wrote:Yes. If she had pulled over and stopped she'd still be alive.

Her death was her own doing.

The "charges" that may stem from this could be one of "Fail to Keep Right" for going off road.

I know from your postings either your a cop or ?.Thats fine with me but the way the article reads is the RCMP officer was told to stop chasing her and he did not.(thats my interpretation)Thats why we will see possible charges.Had he stopped the chase when directed(which he did not) she may have not been killed. remember here were talking about a 21 year old women whom it turns out is no criminal+ not some person whom had committed first degree murder.Iam not absolving her of all the balme Iam just saying (my opinion) perhaps had the RCMP officer followed orders she may still be alive today
On a side note I would find it awefull hard to believe their only contemplating a driving rules infraction as you are suggesting.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

IIO Delivers Report on Salmon Arm Fatal Collision

Post by KL3-Something »

Or, better than a selectively written media report with a slightly inflamatory title, here is the release directly from the IIO:

http://iiobc.ca/chief-civilian-director ... counsel-6/

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

yes the full police report was on the news today.If this was a simple driving infraction as kl suggests they(police) would never involved the crown prosecuter so it has to be a pretty serious charge like crim neg causing death etc etc
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

IIO Delivers Report on Salmon Arm Fatal Collision

Post by KL3-Something »

rvrepairnut wrote:yes the full police report was on the news today.If this was a simple driving infraction as kl suggests they(police) would never involved the crown prosecuter so it has to be a pretty serious charge like crim neg causing death etc etc

Incorrect. what "full police report" are you referring to. It's the IIO that have forwarded a Report to Crown. Not any police force. And this isn't a simple driving infraction. It was a police-involved incident that resulted in the death of a person. Here is a link to the IIO's website where their mandate is posted:

http://iiobc.ca/mandate/

The Independent Investigations Office of BC (IIO) is mandated to conduct investigations into police-related incidents of death or serious harm in order to determine whether or not an officer may have committed an offence.

I also quoted the first paragraph of their mandate. Nothing in there does it mention that they are restricted to forwarding a Report to Crown Counsel only when it is a Criminal Offence. They forward a Report to Crown Counsel which, in the words from their own media release:

...occurs when the Chief Civilian Director considers that an officer may have committed an offence under any enactment.

See it there? Any enactment. Not just the Criminal Code. ANY enactment. You, and which ever media outlet you got your information from, are reading too much into the fact that the IIO has forwarded an RTCC. Especially since their threshold for forwarding an RTCC is when "an officer MAY have committed an offence under any enactment.". As opposed to when the police forward an RTCC where the threshold is that they "believe on reasonable and probably grounds that the person committed an offence." then go on to recommend specific charges.

Just because someone died as a result of an incident involving the police doesn't necessarily mean that the officer(s) involved committed a criminal act.

rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

KL you posted this:Or, better than a selectively written media report with a slightly inflamatory title, here is the release directly from the IIO:
http://iiobc.ca/chief-civilian-director ... counsel-6/

I said this:
rvrepairnut wrote:yes the full police report was on the news today.If this was a simple driving infraction as kl suggests they(police) would never involved the crown prosecuter so it has to be a pretty serious charge like crim neg causing death etc etc

U said this: Incorrect. what "full police report" are you referring to. It's the IIO that have forwarded a Report to Crown. Not any police force. And this isn't a simple driving infraction. It was a police-involved incident that resulted in the death of a person. Here is a link to the IIO's website where their mandate is posted:

the http://iiobc.ca/chief-civilian-director ... counsel-6/
I said yes I read the report on the news today so not sure what u mean by full report as your the one whom said this was the full report
Second off YOU ARE THE ONE whom suggested charges such as
QUOTE:The "charges" that may stem from this could be one of "Fail to Keep Right" for going off road.( now your saying this is not a simple driving infraction?? your double talking here and being caught doing it
And as I SAID those charges(minor driving infraction) would NEVER be requested by the police to be forwarded to a crown council
SO as I said the charges against(suggested) not yet layed will be of a serious criminal nature and I bet you a dollar to a doughnut that this COP disopbeyed a direct order to stop the chase and he choose to ignore that and possible caused the death of this young women and THATS why crown council is now involved(criminal charges are pending)
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

How could anybody else except the person running from the police be at fault here? She should have pulled over and took the ticket for running a stop sign. The cost of the ticket is a whole lot less than the cost of a casket.
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

Furthermore you said and I quote;

Just because someone died as a result of an incident involving the police doesn't necessarily mean that the officer(s) involved committed a criminal act.

and I agree 100% but the fact of the matter is this.The ;police would have NEVER asked Crown to look at suggested charges if they were not criminal.
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

Walking Wounded wrote:How could anybody else except the person running from the police be at fault here? She should have pulled over and took the ticket for running a stop sign. The cost of the ticket is a whole lot less than the cost of a casket.

True but if you take the time to read what I have posted you will see that the police themselves disagree with you and feel that the cop is somewhat to Blame.We shall have to wait and see if Crown accepts the charge suggested by the ;police themselves and go from there.Its all up to crown at this point in time as of now no charge has been laid
Last edited by rvrepairnut on Nov 9th, 2013, 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walking Wounded
Übergod

I haven't read anywhere that the RCMP asked crown council to do anything. The IIO has forwarded their report to crown council and now it's up to them to decide if any charges should be laid.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

IIO delivers Report on Salmon Arm Fatal Collision

Post by KL3-Something »

rvrepairnut wrote:Furthermore you said and I quote;

and I agree 100% but the fact of the matter is this.The ;police would have NEVER asked Crown to look at suggested charges if they were not criminal.

You really need to learn how to use the quote functions.

It isn't the police who have forwarded the RTCC. I'm not sure what part of that you aren't grasping. Nor are you grasping the fact that the IIO forwards reports when they think that the office MAY have committed an offence under ANY enactment. ANY.

What makes you think that crown counsel only deals with criminal matters?

Your "fact of the matter" is not based in any fact at all.
Last edited by KL3-Something on Nov 9th, 2013, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

Walking Wounded wrote:I haven't read anywhere that the RCMP asked crown council to do anything. The IIO has forwarded their report to crown council and now it's up to them to decide if any charges should be laid.

correct I should not have said police
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Why can't people take responsibility for their own actions any more? This young woman ran a stop sign, all she had to do was pull over and take her ticket, She decided to run from the police instead. She ran the stop sign, she ran from the police, she got herself killed. Its just luck that she didn't kill anyone else while making stupid decisions.

Return to “Central Okanagan”