Musical Christmas Lights?

rbkhockey21

Musical Christmas Lights?

Post by rbkhockey21 »

I am curious as to how christmas light shows with music are allowed to go on at all hours of the night. Just down the road, near 41 ave and PV rd, there is music playing all throughout the day and night..

Are there not noise bylaws in effect that prevent this? I love the lights and music during the day, it is very festive and joyful. However it is now 10:20pm, and I should have been asleep long ago and am not.

I am no scrooge, in fact I love Christmas. But I also love my sleep and getting well rested for my daily commute.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Musical Christmas Lights?

Post by Dizzy1 »

I would think contacting the bylaws division of the city would be your best tactic in finding out the information you need. Personally, after I got the information I needed in regarding the bylaws (if any) I'd maybe talk to the people themselves in a friendly way before I get bylaws involved.

I doubt there would be any bylaw regarding the lights, but maybe the music. I'm a bit of Scrooge myself, but I'd let it go, its just once a year, but thats just me.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Tori_K
Fledgling

Post by Tori_K »

http://www.vernon.ca/images/uploads/cou ... ghbour.pdf

Sections 4.5(a) and 4.5(b) should cover it. I think it would be a reasonable interpretation to to have quiet time start at 9:00 - following the same period as lawn care equipment and construction.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Tori_K wrote:http://www.vernon.ca/images/uploads/council/bylaws/4980_Good_Neighbour.pdf

Sections 4.5(a) and 4.5(b) should cover it. I think it would be a reasonable interpretation to to have quiet time start at 9:00 - following the same period as lawn care equipment and construction.

Time is not the factor.

IF the noise disturbs others it will be shut down! You are correct about the sections, but no times.

Consider this, you work shift and the neighbour loves loud music by his pool. You complain he / she is in violation of the Bylaw. Most all Cities have same.
Tori_K
Fledgling

Post by Tori_K »

Ken7 wrote:Time is not the factor.

IF the noise disturbs others it will be shut down! You are correct about the sections, but no times.

Consider this, you work shift and the neighbour loves loud music by his pool. You complain he / she is in violation of the Bylaw. Most all Cities have same.

Fair enough - the times were an assumption on my part anyways. I would think though that the bylaw officers would be more accommodating to noise during daytime hours than nighttime hours.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Maybe take 'em a bottle of wine or a box of cookies with a note thanking them for providing the neighbourhood with such a cheery display, and asking if it's possible to put the music on a timer?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

rbkhockey21 wrote:I am curious as to how christmas light shows with music are allowed to go on at all hours of the night. Just down the road, near 41 ave and PV rd, there is music playing all throughout the day and night..

Are there not noise bylaws in effect that prevent this? I love the lights and music during the day, it is very festive and joyful. However it is now 10:20pm, and I should have been asleep long ago and am not.

I am no scrooge, in fact I love Christmas. But I also love my sleep and getting well rested for my daily commute.

just phone the bylaws office and give address.its their job to contact the noisy party and have them conform
it is not a case of time.it clearly states you can not make objectional noise at any time

Return to “Central Okanagan”