Ask many bakers and they can't explain what a Spudnut is...

Marrs51

Re: Ask many bakers and they can't explain what a Spudnut is

Post by Marrs51 »

sorry, I meant this to go on the "you know you are a Vernonite..." (I will look into moving it)
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

That's really cool! Some interesting recipes.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

Marrs51 wrote:sorry, I meant this to go on the "you know you are a Vernonite..." (I will look into moving it)

best dang doughnut I ever ate.My dad used to go down and buy a few every day and bring them to his service station
he ran.This is back in 67-68 era
ventured
Board Meister

Post by ventured »

rvrepairnut wrote:
best dang doughnut I ever ate.My dad used to go down and buy a few every day and bring them to his service station
he ran.This is back in 67-68 era

I remember that! Yum. I think More than one service station did that. I am sure Felix Garage did that.
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

When remembering back in Vernon with others fond memories of The Spudnut Shop frequently come up. In the early '60's several of us from Beirsto School would walk down Barnard before school and watch the lady cut out the spudnuts in the front window with a flip of her wrist. Those spudnuts were good! In the early 70's I spoke to a young woman who said she and her husband owned the Spudnut Shop. Maybe was the founder's daughter mentioned in the article? I wonder why the Spudnut Shop faded into history? They were a very busy place whenever I went in. What business is now where the Spudnut Shop used to be? I recall it on the south side of Barnard, and think the lady there pointed out the ceiling was painted decorative metal.
ventured
Board Meister

Post by ventured »

superbee wrote:When remembering back in Vernon with others fond memories of The Spudnut Shop frequently come up. In the early '60's several of us from Beirsto School would walk down Barnard before school and watch the lady cut out the spudnuts in the front window with a flip of her wrist. Those spudnuts were good! In the early 70's I spoke to a young woman who said she and her husband owned the Spudnut Shop. Maybe was the founder's daughter mentioned in the article? I wonder why the Spudnut Shop faded into history? They were a very busy place whenever I went in. What business is now where the Spudnut Shop used to be? I recall it on the south side of Barnard, and think the lady there pointed out the ceiling was painted decorative metal.

It was a shared doorway, facing south, the Left hand door was the spudnut shop, the right was the shoe store with the Myna bird.
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

I remember the Spudnut Shop from when I was a cadet at VACC back in the late Sixties. I recall guys sending boxes of Spudnuts home to their parents because they were sooo good. I have no memories of the place when we moved to Vernon in the mid-Seventies, though. What year did the Spudnut Shop close?
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

__________________________________________________________________________________________

superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

Ringo, the Myna bird!
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

A spudnut must be something that is deep fried, and has potatoes inside it. It's only logical.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

It doesn't have potatoes inside it. It is made with potato flour (or mashed potatoes), not wheat flour. And yes, it is deep fried.

Just like at Tim Hortons, they came in lots of flavours.

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

High glycemic index and high in saturated fats...makes my mouth water thinking about it!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
ventured
Board Meister

Post by ventured »

superbee wrote:Ringo, the Myna bird!

Yeppers..... His replacement Myna bird was called Bingo.
ventured
Board Meister

Post by ventured »

bob vernon wrote:A spudnut must be something that is deep fried, and has potatoes inside it. It's only logical.

Potato flour. Not sure if it contained any wheat flour or not.

Return to “Central Okanagan”