Rail line deadline has come and gone

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Rail line deadline has come and gone

Post by Rwede »

Some people would rather support minimum wage tourism jobs selling hotdogs to bike riders, while others would rather see proposals to keep the railway going that serves businesses in this area that pay high wages.

Where were the municipal politicians hiding when rail service was in jeopardy? Out for a bike ride, buying hotdogs?

Death by a thousand cuts, folks, and then the usual suspects (mostly those same ones wanting to make a bike path) *bleep* about "low wages in the Okanagan." Think about it while you peddle your bicycle around and lobby to make another bike path...
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

The railroad seems to be a thing of the past as no one offered to take it over. However wanting to make a multi-use trail out of the right of way is a very good option rather than have it broken up and sold off so a few can benefit. It is sad that some can't appreciate the benefits go beyond a few low paying hot dog selling jobs! Hotels, restaurants, food stores, sport stores would all see increased business but also wouldn't it be wonderful seeing more folks getting out enjoying themselves and getting some healthy exercise walking or cycling?
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

danmartin wrote: Hotels, restaurants, food stores, sport stores would all see increased business

How much do workers in those businesses make and subsequently pay in taxes compared to mill workers at Tolko or production workers at Sun-Rype?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Cumungala
Übergod

Post by Cumungala »

The situation regarding our railway is a huge joke and I will NOT be living in Kelowna anymore to see what happens. Good luck with this Okanagan Rail Trail I guess.
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

Deleted because of double post!
Last edited by danmartin on Jul 4th, 2014, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

[quote="Rwede
How much do workers in those businesses make and subsequently pay in taxes compared to mill workers at Tolko or production workers at Sun-Rype?[/quote
]

So why are you arguing such an obvious point instead of reading the rest of my post? It would be good to keep these jobs that you talk about and lets hope they don't disappear. They haven't shut down and seem to be managing with trucking. The point I made is it looks like no one has jumped on the band wagon to want to run the railway so it is likely to be decommissioned. If it is than it would be better to keep it in public hands. Looks like some want to be negative and slam those who want to make the best out of the situation.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Rwede wrote:How much do workers in those businesses make and subsequently pay in taxes compared to mill workers at Tolko or production workers at Sun-Rype?

that is a moot point as no one is willing to run a rail in this area.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Hassel99 wrote:that is a moot point as no one is willing to run a rail in this area.

Rumour says otherwise.
image999

Post by image999 »

Full Definition of RUMOUR

: information or a story that is passed from person to person but has not been proven to be true

1: talk or opinion widely disseminated with no discernible source

2: a statement or report current without known authority for its truth

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rumor
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jul 7th, 2014, 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Rwede wrote: *removed*

You may have to spill some of the beans here as the period for a new private entity to take over the existing rail has passed and now it is being offered to different levels of government. You can not pay top wages with Rumors !
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

After the various levels of government flip their (our?) empty pockets out and can't find the "rumoured" $50 million asking price (Feds' time was up July 3rd, Christy is balancing a budget, and regional and municipal governments don't have that kind of cash), CN will do whatever makes sense for them, which may include allowing a suitor to run trains again.

Should the land be sold for development, it wouldn't be the worst thing that has happened. There would be considerable economic activity developing and building, and ongoing tax revenues from residents or businesses would help local governments and provide ongoing employment.

I really, really doubt that the potential of a bike path is going to spur someone to spend $50 million in a 30 day decision window. The business case is weak and the timeframe is far too short to shell out that kind of dough on a whim. And if you don't think a business case is necessary to get a government to cough up $50 million, you'd be wrong. Money talks.

Return to “Central Okanagan”