Beware of scammer

Rothy

Beware of scammer

Post by Rothy »

I recently had a gentleman approach me In the earls parking lot. Told me a sad story about him being from Calgary, being in an accident and his wife was in hospital getting stitches. He opened with asking me if I was familiar with the area. I have h about $12 as he said he needed money for a bus ticket.
I recently was in the same parking lot a few weeks ago, in a different vehicle. He came up to the window and the first thing he asked was if I was familiar with the area.....I told him he had already fooled me once and was not going to do it again!
He is targeting anyone with an Alberta plate. Assuming because they come and move on. Please be advised if he approaches you that he is a fraud!
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Beware of scammer

Post by Silverstarqueen »

I think I met his "wife". She was cruising around in a downtown parking lot in a wheelchair asking for money, but I didn't have time to hear her story about how she got into the wheelchair. Just didn't look like the real deal to me.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

LOL, don't know if its the same guy, but he's been doing that for at least the last 10 years ... there's actually a post about it in the "You're a Vernonite if You Remember" thread LOL!
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

I would post this under the duh! category. Of course it's some idiot wanting money.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Hmmm wrote:I would post this under the duh! category. Of course it's some idiot wanting money.

So true LOL!

Anyways, here's the post I mentioned earlier which was posted on May 7 2009 ...

chrisv wrote:.....being approached in a mall parking lot by a guy who's wife was in an accident in Calgary and he just needs two dollars to purchase a bus ticket to go see her. Its been two years since the first time he asked me, and he still aparently hasnt gotten the ticket

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18482&start=45

LMAO
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

Rothy wrote:I recently had a gentleman approach me In the earls parking lot. Told me a sad story about him being from Calgary, being in an accident and his wife was in hospital getting stitches. He opened with asking me if I was familiar with the area. I have h about $12 as he said he needed money for a bus ticket.
I recently was in the same parking lot a few weeks ago, in a different vehicle. He came up to the window and the first thing he asked was if I was familiar with the area.....I told him he had already fooled me once and was not going to do it again!
He is targeting anyone with an Alberta plate. Assuming because they come and move on. Please be advised if he approaches you that he is a fraud!

this is the oldest scam in the world.*removed*Its been on forums and the news many times in the last 6 years or more
Last edited by Merry on Apr 9th, 2014, 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal attack
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Is this the same guy that has a jerry can saying he just ran out of gas?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Gixxer wrote:Is this the same guy that has a jerry can saying he just ran out of gas?

Not sure. I haven't seen a guy with a jerry can around and the guy looking for bus fare because his wife is in the hospital I haven't seen since he got the crap kicked out of him infront of Denny's one night back in 07 ... but he's kinda shortish and had curlyish light brown hair with a moustache.
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

but he's kinda shortish and had curlyish light brown hair with a moustache.

Looked at your avatar lately.
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

GenesisGT wrote:Looked at your avatar lately.

LOL - the jig is up - now shhhhhh ;) LOL
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

This guy's been pulling the same scam almost word for word for well over ten years. He used to prowl the parking lots at VJH regularly, I remember him approaching me after my shift so many times I knew what he would say before he even opened his mouth.I got so sick of it, one time I grabbed his arm and told him I was gonna take him to see the hospital social worker and that he could get some help there. The guy pulled away and threw a few choice swear words my way, but I never did see him again, at least not there. I wonder why, LOL.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
chrisv
Fledgling

Post by chrisv »

seen him working the crowd in the Staples parking lot today. Man youd think he'd have enough money for that bus ticket after all these years! There is also a guy with long hair, a hat with a feather in it going around for a while this spring too. He looks about 30. He needed some money to finish an art project that he was working on. He asked me at the liquor store for some cash one time, I lied and told him I was broke. As I came out of the liquor store with a 15 pack, the bottom of the box broke, and the bottles smashed everywhere. The little $$$#@ saw it and said, ha ha thats karma for you....I almost lost it on him, but fortunately they came out and gave me another case :)
ventured
Board Meister

Post by ventured »

chrisv wrote:seen him working the crowd in the Staples parking lot today. Man youd think he'd have enough money for that bus ticket after all these years! There is also a guy with long hair, a hat with a feather in it going around for a while this spring too. He looks about 30. He needed some money to finish an art project that he was working on. He asked me at the liquor store for some cash one time, I lied and told him I was broke. As I came out of the liquor store with a 15 pack, the bottom of the box broke, and the bottles smashed everywhere. The little $$$#@ saw it and said, ha ha thats karma for you....I almost lost it on him, but fortunately they came out and gave me another case :)

There is a bylaw against panhandling with in a certain distance of a liquor store.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

I haven't stopped in Vernon in quite a few years. Was headed to Armstrong yesterday so decided to grab a bite at Earls. Stop the truck open the door and boom. Before I can even get out,this dirtbag is giving me rant about his wife with a broken hip at the hospital. Totalled his truck at the Swan Lake intersection. Blah blah blah. Lives in Forest Lawn in Calgary. Needs 6 bucks for a bus ticket. Welcome to Vernon. Won't be stopping again anytime soon. The beggar was not the only thing that sucked about that Vernon stop.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

logman wrote:I haven't stopped in Vernon in quite a few years. Was headed to Armstrong yesterday so decided to grab a bite at Earls. Stop the truck open the door and boom. Before I can even get out,this dirtbag is giving me rant about his wife with a broken hip at the hospital. Totalled his truck at the Swan Lake intersection. Blah blah blah. Lives in Forest Lawn in Calgary. Needs 6 bucks for a bus ticket. Welcome to Vernon. Won't be stopping again anytime soon. The beggar was not the only thing that sucked about that Vernon stop.

first off I think your lieing and second off if your not then your in a bad mood of your own doing and for some stupid self serving reason you are trying to blame the city of Vernon and the great people whom live here.Well 90% fall into this category (great people)but all citys have their share of bad apples

Return to “Central Okanagan”