Vernon wanting to ban MMA

jimmy4321
Guru

Vernon wanting to ban MMA

Post by jimmy4321 »

What the hell is wrong with Vernon.
I personally don't watch MMA don't really care for it.Why would Vernon want to stop anything involving fitness in a time it's hard enough to get kids of the coach? Many people enjoy this sport.
This type of thing does fit Vernon's M.O.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Vernon wanting to ban MMA

Post by cutter7 »

The rcmp went to city council and claimed something about the promoters links to organized crime or something like that.

pretty crappy that council would consider banning the sport ,, they should consider licensing the right people instead.
tawnylee
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by tawnylee »

The old people in charge are once again trying to stop any sort of fun before it happens. You have issues with organized crime? Then get rid of the drug problem and the actual gangs. MMA is NOT the problem.
“When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.”
~Harriet Beecher Stowe
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

tawnylee wrote:The old people in charge are once again trying to stop any sort of fun before it happens. You have issues with organized crime? Then get rid of the drug problem and the actual gangs. MMA is NOT the problem.

You saying the blue haired mafia is winning this turf war!
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

I recall two of these events. The first one was a few years ago and the promoters failed to hire enough security and there were brawls all over the parking lot and the police had to call out guys on their days off to settle things down. The promoters stiffed the city for the overtime bill.

Last summer, maybe the summer before, there was another event. The Liquor Distribution Branch did an inspection and found minors being sold booze, and booze being sold after the licensed hours. The city lost their liquor license for several months which meant lost revenue at other events.
The people running these events run shoddy promotions. If they cut corners on security and can't read a liquor license, they don't deserve into the building anymore.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Ban a shaddy promoter not the sport. I've been to probably 6 or 7 of these events over the years, and never once seen a fight outside after the event, or minors being served alcohol. Ive seen a full on brawl break out a viper games between Vernon and Salmon Arm fans about 10 years ago. Why didnt they ban hockey?

bob vernon wrote:The Liquor Distribution Branch did an inspection and found minors being sold booze, and booze being sold after the licensed hours. The city lost their liquor license for several months which meant lost revenue at other events.

Why would the City of Vernon lose a liquor a licence?
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

When fossils run the show and try to turn Vernon into a time capsule, this is what you get. Residents commuting to Kelowna for their shopping & entertainment, oh did i forget work!! Did they forget not all of Vernon is on a pension.
More 30th Ave. pandering.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

The city lost their liquor license for several months which meant lost revenue at other events. ????

I don't understand what this is all about.If there is a MMA venue in Vernon and the city wants to serve booze at it is it not completely up to the city to make sure the liquor sales all done appropreatly and with in law? or if its the MMA people that want to serve booze do they not have to obtain their own licence?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Personally I don't watch MMA, for those that do like watching 2 people beat the hell out of each other.

cutter7 wrote:The rcmp went to city council and claimed something about the promoters links to organized crime or something like that.

pretty crappy that council would consider banning the sport ,, they should consider licensing the right people instead.

Problem solved
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

There's more than 1 promoter that puts on these event's. So why ban the sport because of one bad promoter?
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

maybe offer a seniors discount?
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

bob vernon wrote:I recall two of these events. The first one was a few years ago and the promoters failed to hire enough security and there were brawls all over the parking lot and the police had to call out guys on their days off to settle things down. The promoters stiffed the city for the overtime bill.

Last summer, maybe the summer before, there was another event. The Liquor Distribution Branch did an inspection and found minors being sold booze, and booze being sold after the licensed hours. The city lost their liquor license for several months which meant lost revenue at other events.
The people running these events run shoddy promotions. If they cut corners on security and can't read a liquor license, they don't deserve into the building anymore.

Sounds to me like a "bad promoter" issue ad not a "bad sport" issue.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

The city lost their liquor license for 3 months because they run the building. The promoter probably lost his, too, but then he likely wasn't hosting any other events for a few months, so it didn't bother him.
mikepro44

Post by mikepro44 »

Good riddance, sport for non-atheltic barbarians! Might as well be a bar room brawl.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

mikepro44 wrote:Good riddance, sport for non-atheltic barbarians! Might as well be a bar room brawl.

are you calling mma fighters non ateltic????? if you are you have no clue what you are talking about, I love and have played many sports.and by far mma fighters are the most atheltic by a MILE
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “Central Okanagan”