RV parking on your own property

dukela

RV parking on your own property

Post by dukela »

Has anyone been told by bylaw to remove their 29' and over RV off their property. I'm not talking about using the public roadway, I mean on your own driveway or backyard? This applies to travel trailers, motorhomes and boats.
In the City of Vernon in 2013 it was passed that your RV could not by longer than 29', including hitch. To have one larger it must be stored in a fully enclosed building.
Most hitches are aprox. 3 feet so your travel trailer must be 26' and under.
Lots of homeowners with larger RV's in their yards, so just wondering if they enforce this.
jimmy4321
Guru

Re: RV parking on your own property

Post by jimmy4321 »

If it's off the road and on your property enough as to not impede the view of possibly and intersection or causing difficulty to pedestrians I can't see why they would do this.
Never even knew Vernon passed this though not surprised, I'm surprised no one made noise about this earlier.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

dukela wrote:Has anyone been told by bylaw to remove their 29' and over RV off their property. I'm not talking about using the public roadway, I mean on your own driveway or backyard? This applies to travel trailers, motorhomes and boats.
In the City of Vernon in 2013 it was passed that your RV could not by longer than 29', including hitch. To have one larger it must be stored in a fully enclosed building.
Most hitches are aprox. 3 feet so your travel trailer must be 26' and under.
Lots of homeowners with larger RV's in their yards, so just wondering if they enforce this.

first I ever heard of it? I cant find any bylaws on the city web site that specify this? they have hundreds of bylaws listed but none that I can see that's related to your question? I know you cant park on the street for more than X # of hours and cant be hooked up to power while on the street and has to be current licence etc
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

I always get a kick out bylaws like this.

If it's a broken down piece of junk or your yard looks like the dump, I can definitely see why people should stick their nose in your business. You're obviously a pig and don't care about your neighbors.

But for this to affect people with "normal" trailers that work and that they use, it boggles my mind that you can't park your own property on your own... well, property.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Does it have to do with the by-laws regarding "Single Family Dwelling" zoned areas? Was someone occupying the trailer? Would the same apply to erecting a permanent structure in that same location the same size as the trailer?
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Many new developments have specific building schemes that disallow rv parking. These are registered on title and run with the land.
You and 71 others Like this post
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

Donald G wrote:Does it have to do with the by-laws regarding "Single Family Dwelling" zoned areas? Was someone occupying the trailer? Would the same apply to erecting a permanent structure in that same location the same size as the trailer?

you need to start your own thread as this reply has absolutely nothing to do with what the op asked and offers nothing as a answer
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Like many bylaws , that one ( if it existed ) would be enforced only if a complaint was received.
dukela

Post by dukela »

After some investigation with the City of Vernon and the Bylaw office this is what I can tell you. It is most definitely a bylaw. If you live anywhere in the City of Vernon Zoning Bylaw #5000, 3.3.7:
3.3.6 No person shall authorize or do any development that is at variance with
the description, specifications or plans that were the basis for the issuance
of a building permit.
3.3.7 No person shall:
 place or permit a commercial vehicle in excess of 4100 kg licensed
gross vehicle weight on a lot in a residential zone unless parked or
stored in a fully enclosed permanent building. Short term parking
during daylight hours for the purposes of delivery, service or
construction on the property is permitted. Large pick up trucks, used
primarily as family passenger vehicles, are exempt from these
provisions;
 place or permit a recreational vehicle in excess of 29 ft in length on a
lot in a residential zone, unless parked or stored in a fully enclosed
permanent building. Short term parking of no more than two
consecutive days for the purposes of loading, unloading, service or
repair is permitted. Recreational vehicles parked within an area
designated for such parking as per an approved Development Permit
issued by the City are exempt from these provisions;
 permit a motor vehicle in a state of disrepair or derelict for more than
30 days on a lot in a residential zone;
 permit no more than two recreational vehicles outdoors on a lot in a
residential zone; (Bylaw 5339)
 permit no more than a total of six operating and licensable vehicles to
be located outdoors on a lot in a residential zone. Operating and
licensable vehicles include cars, vans, trucks, motorcycles, trailers and
recreation vehicles; (Bylaw 5361)
 permit a fuel storage tank on a lot in a residential zone; and,
 fail to deflect lighting away from adjacent property as required by
Section 4.8.1.
3.3.8 Garage / Yard Sales are only permitted on residential properties twice per
calendar year. Each Garage / Yard Sale is further restricted to no more
than two consecutive days in duration. All Garage / Yard Sales are only
permitted to be conducted by the owner and/or occupier of the residential
property. All goods being displayed for sale must be located on the
property and cannot be located within the adjacent street and/or lane right
of way.
3.4 Penalties
3.4.1 Every person who violates a provision of this Bylaw commits an offence
and is liable on summary conviction to a penalty not exceeding Ten
Thousand Dollars ($10,000.00) and the costs of prosecution.

There is also a traffic bylaw #2747 that deals with RV's parked on a city street.
Yes it is complaint driven. Bylaw tells me if they receive a complaint they will investigate.
It does not matter if it is in your backyard off the street, if it is over 29' you are in contravention. This includes the hitch, so your trailer could only be aprox 25 ' to allow about 3 ft for the hitch.
If you store it in a fully enclosed, permanent structure you are okay.
Armstrong Council tried the same thing and the RVing public spoke their minds and Council amended the bylaw and removed the length restrictions April of this year.
Does anyone know how Coldstream handles RV's?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

dukela wrote:Does anyone know how Coldstream handles RV's?

Don't know if anything has changed, but I think we have a limit of 32 feet, I could be wrong though. To be honest, I think that instead of focusing on the size of an RV they should be more focused on limiting the quantity. There are plenty of addresses around here that I can think of off hand who's front and side yard looks like a storage facility.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
dukela

Post by dukela »

Dizzy1 - I posted the bylaw in my previous post. The bylaw states 29' total, including the hitch, ladders, storage boxes etc. The limits is 2 and that includes trailers, boats, snowmobile or cargo trailers etc. I believe it was changed about a year ago.
I don't know why we have a limit of 29', what difference does it make to my neighbour if my travel trailer is 29' or 32' in my own backyard. Does someone on council own a storage facility or construction business to build a permanent structure for my rv?
The reason for this discussion is a lot of Vernonites are unaware of this bylaw. All over town people are in contravention of this not even knowing their Motorhome is too big for their property. The RV public must get vocal about this just like the citizens of Armstrong and try to get an amendment to this bylaw and take the maximum length off.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

dukela wrote:Dizzy1 - I posted the bylaw in my previous post. The bylaw states 29' total, including the hitch, ladders, storage boxes etc. The limits is 2 and that includes trailers, boats, snowmobile or cargo trailers etc. I believe it was changed about a year ago.
I don't know why we have a limit of 29', what difference does it make to my neighbour if my travel trailer is 29' or 32' in my own backyard. Does someone on council own a storage facility or construction business to build a permanent structure for my rv?
The reason for this discussion is a lot of Vernonites are unaware of this bylaw. All over town people are in contravention of this not even knowing their Motorhome is too big for their property. The RV public must get vocal about this just like the citizens of Armstrong and try to get an amendment to this bylaw and take the maximum length off.

Sorry - my post was meant for the question about Coldstream's bylaws - should have been more specific lol
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
dukela

Post by dukela »

Thanks for the update Dizzy1 , I haven't had a chance to check on the Coldstream bylaw.... so you could be right on the 32' I will check next week.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Sure. Lets include tractors, combines, semi trailers, large steel storage bins, old car bodies and "lawn parking" in your demands for exemptions from the trailer length changes. After all it is your property.

Just as long as you do it in your town, rather than mine. Why not make a community wide junk yard?
dukela

Post by dukela »

Actually Donald G if you took the time to read the bylaw you would have seen that commercial equipment vehicles in excess of 4100 kg's are not permitted. The junkyard you speak of has a limit as to how much "junk" you can have.
It is always the reasonable people that have to suffer laws that are put in place to cover the irresponsible homeowners.
If you don't live in Vernon, then don't worry about it.

Return to “Central Okanagan”