RV parking on your own property

Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Re: RV parking on your own property

Post by Symbonite »

true....

but it makes it so that if you follow the bylaw then no one is setting up a COG next to your house at 1 in the morning because again there is a bylaw stating no loud or obnoxious noises
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

Dizzy1 wrote:So if a bylaw says you have to paint your house blue with yellow polka dots ... you're cool with that? After all, a bylaw is a bylaw.

That actually falls under statutory building schemes, not by-laws :S
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

But even with the stat building code....still something setup by the local government.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

Symbonite wrote:But even with the stat building code....still something setup by the local government.

Yes, but you know this in advance and have the choice of NOT buying that particular house :D
dukela

Post by dukela »

Recreational vehicles are allowed in the City of Vernon period. It makes no difference what neighbourhood you live in. Strata developments may have their own set of rules, but most have a compound for RV's within their development.
The problem with this bylaw is who came up with 29' maximum length. What makes my 30' any more of a problem than my neighbours 29' ?
If having an RV in your backyard is such a problem that we needed a bylaw to govern the length, why is it only complaint driven? Why is it set up that bylaw enforcement will only attend if there is a complaint? If you are lucky enough to have a good neighbour your over length RV can stay in your yard with no problems. Across the street another home owner may not receive the same treatment from the City should a complaint be received from his neighbour.
Armstrong, Coldstream, Lake Country, Kelowna and Penticton all have bylaws covering RV's parked on residential property, none are as restrictive as the City of Vernon.
Yes, bylaws can be changed. It just takes enough people to say take the length off the bylaw and amend it to the number allowed (1) . We have enough other bylaws to satisfy the non RV'ers for neighbourhood protection. We have Good Neighbour bylaws, Safety bylaws and health bylaws.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

the bottom line is no one wants to look at any RV parked in a front yard in most Vernon neighbourhoods.Park it in the back yard out of sight where it belongs. Its just good neighbourly common sense. same with boats and other similar items
now that being said there are some places that are so trashy it don't matter
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

wanderingman wrote:Park it in the back yard out of sight where it belongs.

That's probably not an option for everyone.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

That's probably not an option for everyone.

]then use a storage facility
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

I have a perfectly good driveway - I have no need for a storage facility :D
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I have RV space on my own property. There is enough room for my 5th wheel and my truck and about 5' left over till the road.
Why would I pay $125 per month or more to park at a storage facility. My neighbour has no problem with it so why should you.
It's also gone a good portion of the Summer. In the Winter the bonus is I have less snow to shovel.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

im kinda thinkin the giant storage building required to hide such an rv on your property would be uglier than any rv sorta makes the bylaw somewhat dumb
dukela

Post by dukela »

What wanderingman is not understanding about this stupid bylaw is you are not allowed to park in your back yard! You can own an acre of property and if the RV is over 29 ft bumper to hitch you cannot store it in your back yard.
I agree with LTD, if you construct a building to house it chances are it will block more of the neighbours view and be a permanent structure that will never go away.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

dukela wrote:What wanderingman is not understanding about this stupid bylaw is you are not allowed to park in your back yard! You can own an acre of property and if the RV is over 29 ft bumper to hitch you cannot store it in your back yard.
I agree with LTD, if you construct a building to house it chances are it will block more of the neighbours view and be a permanent structure that will never go away.

I understand perfectly about the VERNON bylaw. I was talking about other places such as coldstream BC.People here have a nice house,nice landscape etc and then some dolt parks a big ugly RV in his front yard next door to you.It looks like crap and should be out of sight in the rear yard.I own a 41 foot 4 slide 300K diesel pusher ,beautifull RV and would not park in my front yard because there it looks like hell.As the saying goes time and place!
Now that being said there are quit a few neighbourhoods where the RV rather than detract it may enhance such as mission hill,south Vernon,sections of the east hill etc
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Wanderingman Just for you ...

Yea. Kinfolk cumin from out yonder lookin fer a place to bed down. So I pulls my new 1972 ten by twenty nine foot home in from the farm and parks her on my front lawn. Hand built er myself in 72. Neighbour went for it for a 12 pack but the landlord went nuts. The neighbour on the other side too.

Don't know why. Kins only staying a month. Big Red he mentioned how I could have a money maker parked right there. Not bothering anybody. Truck parking right there too. Like he says. Could rent to three or four of the young guys runnin back and forth to the rigs in Alberta.

All the kay-yi-ing theyre doin about it. This neighbourhood has sure gone to hell regarding neighborness.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Shore is right neighborly of ya, shacking up your kin and all.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.

Return to “Central Okanagan”