Lumby - Grow-Op Capital of the North Okanagan?

gotaway

Re: Lumby - Grow-Op Capital of the North Okanagan?

Post by gotaway »

Well now you know that "Lumby Logger" wasn't just a newspaper,its a brand:)
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Dizzy1 wrote: Interestingly, the new build across the street from the 2 busted houses has pretty much seized construction, or at least slowed down. Wonder if the rumor on that one was true as well ... hmmm, interesting neighborhood.
Ah, it all makes sense now! That house was for sale for $349,000 even though it was not finished. Given the fact they were advertising it as not finished, I had to wonder why on earth someone would buy a house that's not even close to being finished on the inside when you could buy a totally finished house for the same price. I'm thinking they were looking to sale for the purposes of a grow-op? This house sat there for 5 years with just the OSB walls up before last year. Because it had sat so long the OSB was all rotten, so someone tore down the structure and started over. Now it seems they aren't finishing this time either, but at least they built it to lockup this time. The MLS listing is no longer up.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Glacier wrote:That house was for sale for $349,000 even though it was not finished. Given the fact they were advertising it as not finished, I had to wonder why on earth someone would buy a house that's not even close to being finished on the inside when you could buy a totally finished house for the same price. I'm thinking they were looking to sale for the purposes of a grow-op? This house sat there for 5 years with just the OSB walls up before last year. Because it had sat so long the OSB was all rotten, so someone tore down the structure and started over. Now it seems they aren't finishing this time either, but at least they built it to lockup this time. The MLS listing is no longer up.

I didn't realize it was being built for that long. I've heard it sold about 2-3 months, but haven't seen a sold sign on it, just the for sale sign still up ... and as you said, the MLS listing is no more.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Varulv

Post by Varulv »

I believe the idea behind the $349k unfinished house is that you buy it at that price and the seller finishes it to your liking. That's what makes sense to me anyway considering what houses sell for on that street.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Varulv wrote:I believe the idea behind the $349k unfinished house is that you buy it at that price and the seller finishes it to your liking. That's what makes sense to me anyway considering what houses sell for on that street.

Last time I saw its listing it was just an uncompleted basement, but everything else with the exception of landscaping was supposed to be done. IIRC, it was at $329,000. I could be wrong though, it does happen from time to time ;) LOL
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Yup, it was 329,000. I made a mistake when I said 349.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

one of those houses on mountain view was a drug smuggler currently locked up in Saskatchewan, and his good buddy thats locked up in the US *removed*
Last edited by Gixxer on Jul 21st, 2014, 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Varulv

Post by Varulv »

I think they're going to have a hell of a time selling it considering the sketchy history of the builder/landowner. They'd probably be better off selling it "as is" for what it's currently worth and letting the buyer bring in their own contractor to finish the work. As a home owner I know I'd be a little hesitant about relying on a contractor with a history of unfinished work and questionable "tradesmen."
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

^^ Talking to some friends in the area over breakfast this morning, that's kinda what they were saying as well LOL!
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

Varulv wrote:I think they're going to have a hell of a time selling it considering the sketchy history of the builder/landowner. They'd probably be better off selling it "as is" for what it's currently worth and letting the buyer bring in their own contractor to finish the work. As a home owner I know I'd be a little hesitant about relying on a contractor with a history of unfinished work and questionable "tradesmen."

IMO
Not sure who the framing crew was, I think they started in Nov and didn't finish until about the end of Jan.
They used the house across the street that was busted for a lunchroom.
I know that people move at a slower pace down here than the rest of the province that actually works to make a living, but that was way too long to frame a simple 2.5 story building.

I remember seeing the windows installed and then a week or so later removed - and then a few months later re-installed.
Don't think that the window supplier was putting up with not getting paid or slow payment.

I agree that it should probably be sold for what it is currently worth and finished by someone that the buyer chooses.
The way the deck at the front of the house is put in - you will have a decent view of the valley.
Looks like a decent size house and a very tiny yard - done properly it should be easy to maintain and enjoy.

The sooner there is siding on it the better the entire area will look.
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
Varulv

Post by Varulv »

*If* the seller was smart, he'd at least pay to have the house wrapped in Tyvek. It's not siding, but at least it'll keep the weather out and preserve the existing structure until it can either be finished or sold as is. That's a pretty big if, though. Being that this is a second attempt at building that house, I don't think they quite know what they're doing.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Glacier wrote:I don't get it. Mountainview is probably the nicest and newest street in Lumby, and yet people buy houses there for the purpose of putting in a grow-op. Why wouldn't you buy a place for half the price if you're going to ruin the place with chemicals and mould?

If they have three successful grows, how much can they make?? Go figure!! There is big dollars, and do they front the money or is there someone backing them??
BigFatLyre

Post by BigFatLyre »

bob vernon wrote:I don't know about "redneckish". I'd say it's more hillybillyish than anything.

So as hippies get older they're now called hillbillies?
Back in the day my gal ran a TRAPLINE on one side of Sugar Lake.
She sure doesn't look like a hillbilly to moi!!
Gotta get up by there and see if the old trap cabin is still there this year.

Specific to the thread: If you're not working at the mill or have a govt. post
you're making money in Lumby by .............???

Traplines are not socially acceptable any more.
It just seems like EVERYONE thinks going grow op is the new easy money.
No, it's not.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

So does this story http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-163892-3-.htm#163892
mean that the lawyer is going to pay for the devalued house prices?

Or does he just think that that we need more grow-op's in Lumby, to go with the ones that are already here? :smt045

Only seems to lower the land values by having them here.

How long before we hear of another getting busted in the same area as those mentioned above?
Hopefully this time, there are no small primary school aged children in the grow-op as there were last time.
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.

Return to “Central Okanagan”