Where do 75% of your Vernon taxes go?

gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Where do 75% of your Vernon taxes go?

Post by gordon_as »

Wages , apparently. http://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/117 ... l-over-21M
WTH should we pay some pencil pusher $ 172,000 per year ? + expenses. There should be a cap of $100,000 for any employee , if you don't like it go suck some other town dry.
jimmy4321
Guru

Re: Where do 75% of your Vernon taxes go ?

Post by jimmy4321 »

How else do you figure these people can afford to live in this town? Lol
....I should fill out an application.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

jimmy4321 wrote:How else do you figure these people can afford to live in this town? Lol
....I should fill out an application.

SIX HUNDRED AND THIRTY THREE THOUSAND $$$$$ for FIVE(5 ) fireman??? ludicrous is being lenient!!!

IF this was private operation we would have more fireman and there would not be these ridiculous payouts
there seems to be a sense of entitlement once you get involved that's never going to be broken
these 5 guys do absolutely nothing all day long. its rediculous
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

I feel sorry for the firemen beneath the fancy titles ... "yeah, sorry we can't pay you more, there's just not enough money left over. BTW, you don't mind if we change your title to volunteer, right?"
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

gordon_as wrote:Wages , apparently. http://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/117 ... l-over-21M
WTH should we pay some pencil pusher $ 172,000 per year ? + expenses. There should be a cap of $100,000 for any employee , if you don't like it go suck some other town dry.

I personally think 90$ k as a cap. There are lots of bright people out there that would gladley do any of the jobs and are very capable to boot and at 90K would be very happy making a way above average wage

its seems odd a RCMP officer is paid far less in most cases and is required to do a fairly dangerous job at times all day long as compared to theses fire officials whom are paid far far more for far less work and far less training
coffeeFreak
Guru

Re: Where do 75% of your Vernon taxes go?

Post by coffeeFreak »

Here is an interesting report dated 2012 (and appears to be the most current). Page 100 shows number of employees 2008-2012.

http://www.vernon.ca/services/finance/documents/2012_ANNUAL_REPORT.pdf
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

You wouldn't be complaining about the fire fighters wages if they were coming to save your Butt or someone you care about. A $100K isn't that great. You get what you pay for.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Why don't we tell the true story about the firefighters, at least as I understand it, that was not even close to their regular salary. It included a lot of overtime and retroactive pay due to a contract that took a long time to settle. You cannot judge them without knowing the whole story, but as usual the news media dramatizes it and people get all wound up. They get paid well as they should. How many of the complainers out there would actually go out and risk their lives for someone else and or their property like these people do. Try it, get the training and go for it. Been there, done that and probably made more than these guys on an hourly basis. I received my regular salary plus danger pay and possibly even overtime depending on the time of day. That was all because the company felt it was worth it to have us on site, ready at all times. We even trained on company time and received regular salary for it.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

They respond to all vehicle accidents, and use the jaws of life. They see lots of gruesome, and disturbing scenes.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

Smurf wrote:Why don't we tell the true story about the firefighters, at least as I understand it, that was not even close to their regular salary. It included a lot of overtime and retroactive pay due to a contract that took a long time to settle. You cannot judge them without knowing the whole story, but as usual the news media dramatizes it and people get all wound up. They get paid well as they should. How many of the complainers out there would actually go out and risk their lives for someone else and or their property like these people do. Try it, get the training and go for it. Been there, done that and probably made more than these guys on an hourly basis. I received my regular salary plus danger pay and possibly even overtime depending on the time of day. That was all because the company felt it was worth it to have us on site, ready at all times. We even trained on company time and received regular salary for it.

I seriously doubt that all five examples of fireman(management) shown here was based on anything but what they make each year which is entirely too much. Risk their lives? cry me a river+ talk about exaggeration at its best. Vernon has not seen a life risking fire in so many years I doubt we would recognize one anymore(which is good) Its not just the fireman its city staff in general the whole deal has gotten out of hand.this is what happens when you have unaccountable people spending other peoples money. One other thing that cost us money is how the citys works are run.Vernon takes on most all their own road and sewer upgrades.They use twice the equipment and man power that a private contractor uses ,take 3 times as long to do a job and its never that great of a job
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

What about the Enderby firefighter who was killed in 2011, while another was severely injured.
Every fire is life risking.

I would agree with other posters these are not salaries these are total compensation for working stats and overtime. Perhaps its time to look at paying less OT and having more positions so OT is not needed.
canuck500
Fledgling

Post by canuck500 »

There are also a lot of risks firefighters face that you don't see, you realise that there are a lot of cancers that are listed as occupational hazards by wcb, google cancer and fire fighting/fire fighters.
canuck500
Fledgling

Post by canuck500 »

wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

canuck500 wrote:There are also a lot of risks firefighters face that you don't see, you realise that there are a lot of cancers that are listed as occupational hazards by wcb, google cancer and fire fighting/fire fighters.

Ok go do a research history of Vernon firefighters over the last 50 years.how many contacted and died or were treated for cancer caused by working for the VFD? Also check on Actual job related injurys related to actual fire fighting has there been
while your at it.also # of deaths we have incured in last 50 years
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

wanderingman wrote:
Ok go do a research history of Vernon firefighters over the last 50 years.how many contacted and died or were treated for cancer caused by working for the VFD? Also check on Actual job related injurys related to actual fire fighting has there been
while your at it.also # of deaths we have incured in last 50 years

Why should it matter, its still a very dangerous job.

Return to “Central Okanagan”