Where do 75% of your Vernon taxes go?

wanderingman
Übergod

Re: Where do 75% of your Vernon taxes go?

Post by wanderingman »

"Gixxer"]
wanderingman wrote:
Ok go do a research history of Vernon firefighters over the last 50 years.how many contacted and died or were treated for cancer caused by working for the VFD? Also check on Actual job related injurys related to actual fire fighting has there been
while your at it.also # of deaths we have incured in last 50 years

Why should it matter, its still a very dangerous job.

[/quote]

that's my point it can be under certain circumstances but 99% of the time its not
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Firefighting is a dangerous job at all times. Most of the time those dangers are mitigated but they are always there. in many situations one slip can be disaster. It is through continuous training and proper equipment that dangers are mitigated but they are always there. Propane, gasoline, electricity are all very safe if handled properly, but one mistake can be disaster.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
TrailRunner2010

Post by TrailRunner2010 »

I've done firefighting, ambulance and police work. Yes firefighting is a dangerous job and those who get into it know the risks. The other two main emergency services are equally dangerous from different threats and far more busy than firefighters. Police and ambulance do far more calls. Most fire calls (approx %70) are to assist the ambulance on medical calls. Police and ambulance handle roughly ten times more calls than fire on a given day. My two cents.
Queller
Board Meister

Post by Queller »

TrailRunner2010 wrote:I've done firefighting, ambulance and police work. Yes firefighting is a dangerous job and those who get into it know the risks. The other two main emergency services are equally dangerous from different threats and far more busy than firefighters. Police and ambulance do far more calls. Most fire calls (approx %70) are to assist the ambulance on medical calls. Police and ambulance handle roughly ten times more calls than fire on a given day. My two cents.

The thing most people who quote these emergency call statistics forget is actual "personhours" spent on a call vs total call numbers. For example, if an ambulance call requires 2 paramedics and 2 firefighters on scene for 10 to 15 minutes and then more time at the hospital for the paramedics to deliver the patient to the ER, this counts as 1 call. Then take a house fire or brush fire that may require 20+ firefighters on scene for several hours, this also counts as 1 call. However the total time for 1 call spent at a fire for all the personnel is a lot higher than the average medical call. The same could be said for RCMP minor calls vs major incidents requiring numerous officers. Something to bear in mind when quoting call statistics.

Return to “Central Okanagan”