Group saying no or NIMBY to wood pellet plant

wanderingman
Übergod

Re: Group saying no or NIMBY to wood pellet plant

Post by wanderingman »

Call me a trusting soul or a idiot but I find it very very hard to believe in this day and age that the DOC or the BC gov would allow such a manufacturer to set up camp in lavington unless they can without doubt show that all these past concerns have been addressed and totally rectified
Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Post by Brushy Bill »

Bill I believe the pellet manufacturers current primary sales market is actually Europe.
Material to manufacture wood pellets comes from waste generated at lumber processing plants.
The percentage of fibre recovered from whole log chipping is negligible

Market expansion is going to China.
There are not large piles of waste material waiting for a pellet plant , fibre will come from the bush instead of being left to nurture future growth.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

The decision is simple.

If the mill can meet the provincial standards, not the "guidelines", then they can build it there.

If the mill can't meet the provincial standards, then they can't. Move it somewhere else, like downstream from the school. The wind in that valley drains downslope for most of the day into Vernon, from the east, right past the school.

The decision should be based on the expected air quality, not whether it provides any jobs. Or people calling each other names, or making lattes.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/121 ... ars-hurdle

It got Coldstream council green light.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

The Burns Lake Pinnacle Pellet Plant just exploded.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.2793964
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ Wonder how much of it was profits over safety procedures.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Hassel99 wrote:The Burns Lake Pinnacle Pellet Plant just exploded.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.2793964

But this new one proposed for only going to have a school one side of it. A child's life is only worth 1/3 of that of a man's.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^ I still feel its odd place to build a school at in the first place, right next to mill.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

The mill at Burns Lake didn't explode. There was an explosion inside one of the dryers at the mill. Big difference in the wording.

Saying that the mill exploded sounds like it's gone, vanished, there might be a huge crater where it once was, and debris rained down for miles around.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Thats what teh headline said when i made the post Bob.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

bob vernon wrote:The mill at Burns Lake didn't explode. There was an explosion inside one of the dryers at the mill. Big difference in the wording.

Saying that the mill exploded sounds like it's gone, vanished, there might be a huge crater where it once was, and debris rained down for miles around.

Actually what the CBC story said was there was a "FIRE" in one of the dryers and its own built in fire suppression system put the fire out.There was no such thing as an explosion that is see in the article and no injuries

Now another story is completely different as there was an explosion and injury,s

A man who suffered third-degree burns in an explosion at a wood pellet plant in Burns Lake on Thursday has been transferred to Vancouver General Hospital's burn unit, a spokesman for Northern Health Authority said Friday.
Two other employees who received minor injuries in the explosion have been discharged after being taken to the University Hospital of Northern B.C. in Prince George for further checkups, added Jonathon Dyck.
Leroy Reitsma, president of the Pinnacle Renewable Energy plant, said a "fire-related incident" happened at the Burns Lake mill, located on Highway 16 east of Burns Lake, at about 8 a.m. Thursday. He said the fire broke out inside some equipment used to dry wood fibre and it caused an explosion.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Three+ ... z3FwTrj3Xu
Troutslayer

Post by Troutslayer »

Brushy Bill wrote:Forest practices are also denuding the landscape already , coarse woody debris is essential for wildlife and to regenerrate nutrients. Where will the material come from for the pellets ?

take a drive up any forest service road to any last years active logging sites and if you could see the waste of good wood that could easily sustain a wood pellet plant ,just look up here real soon into the mountains and you will see lots of night fire on top of any mountain slash burning piles of good wood......that would be excellent for processing into pellets as it is ground to a pulp before manufacture....just my opinion as i see to much waste/blowdown when harvesting of a natural resource, being an avid outdoorsman and spend a lot of time in the mountains .
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Hassel99 ...

Good point (Your 08:45 comment) ...

Half of the people seem to be demanding that the government stop the shipment out of Canada of wood destined to be manufactured into wood products.

The other half demand that Canada stop ruining the country by manufacturing wood products in Canada that are to be shipped out of Canada.

And both sides have absolute utopian OPINIONS that their view is the correct one.

I wonder how many actually have up to date knowledge about the Forestry Industry and how many have simply make up a sequence of facts to suit their already determined wishes?
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Taxpayers must wonder why we are paying crews to burn slash at various places in the woods instead on not only letting "wood pellet people" not only haul it away for nothing but create jobs and taxation income i the process? Rather simplistic view but you get the message.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Donald G wrote:Taxpayers must wonder why we are paying crews to burn slash at various places in the woods instead on not only letting "wood pellet people" not only haul it away for nothing but create jobs and taxation income i the process? Rather simplistic view but you get the message.

Taxpayers dont pay for crews to burn slash.

There is a huge market for Canadian wood pellets in China. They mix it with coal when burning, and it brings down the pollution.

Return to “Central Okanagan”