Group saying no or NIMBY to wood pellet plant

Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Re: Group saying no or NIMBY to wood pellet plant

Post by Donald G »

Since I doubt that anyone is burning slash for free someone is definitely getting paid by someone to burn slash piles. Why not let someone burn it in the shape of wood pellets and get some use out of it?
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Donald G wrote:Since I doubt that anyone is burning slash for free someone is definitely getting paid by someone to burn slash piles. Why not let someone burn it in the shape of wood pellets and get some use out of it?

You are absolutely right no one is burning slash piles for free. It's usually paid by the mill or logging contractor by the "stumpage fee" they paid to the Ministry of Forestry. Whats in the slash piles is all pretty much garbage, that's why its in the slash pile.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Yea. Its just "garbage" wood so lets pile it up and burn it in the bush, rather than make it into wood pellets and sell them to people to burn for useful purposes.

Bejea'ys'us but there is a right sensible idea.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Donald G wrote:Yea. Its just "garbage" wood so lets pile it up and burn it in the bush, rather than make it into wood pellets and sell them to people to burn for useful purposes.

Bejea'ys'us but there is a right sensible idea.

The cost to load and truck it out of the bush would be huge. The wood pellets it would make, would be of very poor quality, and would not burn very well.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Gixxer ...

You could well have a valid point. But I can not accept the assertion that there is not enough suitable waste left over from our wood production industry to support more wood pellet plants without affecting regrowth and future re-harvesting of trees in the same area.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Donald G wrote:To Gixxer ...

You could well have a valid point. But I can not accept the assertion that there is not enough suitable waste left over from our wood production industry to support more wood pellet plants without affecting regrowth and future re-harvesting of trees in the same area.

No logging contractor wants to leave any valuable wood source in the bush. Wood pellets are made from the sawdust byproducts from the mills, not from raw materials from the bush.

Donald how about you start a business refining slash piles into sawdust.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Gixxer ...

You mean that because we have done it this way for 100 years we should and MUST continue to do it that for all time?

Within the near future I think that you will find more and more small businesses taking their machines into the bush or onto clear cuts to produce wood products. Just like the evolution of the cedar shake industry.

Everything progresses when motivated by the dollar.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Donald G wrote:To Gixxer ...

You mean that because we have done it this way for 100 years we should and MUST continue to do it that for all time?

Within the near future I think that you will find more and more small businesses taking their machines into the bush or onto clear cuts to produce wood products. Just like the evolution of the cedar shake industry.

Everything progresses when motivated by the dollar.

What you fail to understand is that the waste wood left in slash piles isnt worth anything. Its not cost feasible to truck equipment into the bush to process the waste wood. If it was the logging contractor who paid for the timber rights would've already done so.

Return to “Central Okanagan”