Waterfront access

cv23
Guru

Re: Waterfront access

Post by cv23 »

wanderingman wrote:Yes I have contacted the feds .........He said anyone can apply for a private buoy in a designated area...

wanderingman wrote:I just don't see how they(boaters) can take over such a large portion of common water ways legally?

Clearly you know that this area has been designated as a moorage area by the feds who are the ones which have jurisdiction over the area.
If you were really concerned about seeing the situation resolved to your liking you'd take the minute to fill out the complaint form offered to you by the feds rather than wasting your time whining here to people who have no control over the matter. Any really concerned citizen would make the effort to see what they feel is an unsafe situation corrected as soon as possible. As a non-boater just how is it from your position on the shore that you have been able to properly assess that the situation is indeed hazardous and unsafe for boaters?
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

CV23
Clearly you know that this area has been designated as a moorage area by the feds who are the ones which have jurisdiction over the area.
If you were really concerned about seeing the situation resolved to your liking you'd take the minute to fill out the complaint form offered to you by the feds rather than wasting your time whining here to people who have no control over the matter. Any really concerned citizen would make the effort to see what they feel is an unsafe situation corrected as soon as possible. As a non-boater just how is it from your position on the shore that you have been able to properly assess that the situation is indeed hazardous and unsafe for boaters?

Clearly you have misread and are just beeking off as per usual.I said went by in a boat as iam a boater
So yes I have viewed the situation from the water and deem it could be unsafe in certain conditions and feel its a unfair distribution of public lake waters

3. No person shall place in any Canadian waters a private buoy that interferes with or is likely to interfere with the navigation of any vessel, or that misleads or is likely to mislead the operator of any vessel.
Last edited by wanderingman on Aug 17th, 2014, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Do you also feel that the use, along public roads, for parking is also an unfair distribution of public land for the benefit of car owners?
Precisely the same. Just because it is a lake, it doesn't mean that there shouldn't be designated uses, one of which is parking.
You and 71 others Like this post
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

wanderingman wrote:Clearly you have misread and are just beeking off as per usual.I said went by in a boat as iam a boater

So why would you say?"
I just don't see how they(boaters) can take over such a large portion of common water ways legally?

Clearly you see them," boaters", as being different from you in some way. Maybe because they have boats?
Or did you mean "they" to be the resident stakeholders with a vested interest in the area as opposed to you as an occasional visitor/tourist with no stake in the area?

wanderingman wrote:So yes I have viewed the situation from the water and deem it could be unsafe in certain conditions and feel its a unfair distribution of public lake waters

What training or specific skill set gives you the capability, or authority to deem something as unsafe?
What would you feel is a better distribution of public lake waters? Would you rather see more licensed docks? More large marinas? Maybe rather than seeing the government regulate docks, marinas or buoys you wold rather see a free for all where anyone can just set up anywhere they want?
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

I can understand a few buoys in front of ones property or dock but not a huge conglomerations of buoys like this and the big thing is so far offshore.At least 300 feet.its ridiculous and extremely unfair to all Vernon and area rate payers and other boaters.This situation looks just like a free for all I doubt its set up completely within federal guidelines
CV23 unless you have a boat know all about boating,docks and buoys,safe loactions in distances from shore and the lot please reframe from making any more ignorant uneducated remarks towards me
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

wanderingman wrote:I can understand a few buoys in front of ones property or dock but not a huge conglomerations of buoys like this and the big thing is so far offshore.
OMG we can't have a bunch of boats moored by way of permits within a federally designated area can we? Next thing you know there will be permanent year round marinas and yacht clubs with log booms and wharfs extending out 100's of feet into the lake.
At least 300 feet.
Wow, those buoys move! Just a bit ago you told us they were 400 feet out. Maybe if you wait a bit they will be within what "you deem" to be a safe and fair distance from shore
its ridiculous and extremely unfair to all Vernon and area rate payers and other boaters.
As you clearly state above you approve of lakeshore property owners having buoys. What could be more unfair to all area residents, taxpayers and other boaters than only allowing this select group to moor their boats in a public waterway?
This situation looks just like a free for all I doubt its set up completely within federal guidelines
Of course your highly educated eye and vast knowledge of the federal moorage regulations have led you to this conclusion
CV23 unless you have a boat know all about boating,docks and buoys,safe loactions in distances from shore "and the lot" please reframe from making any more ignorant uneducated remarks towards me
Luckily some of us who actually own boats know quite a bit more about "the lot" and about legally, properly and safely mooring a boat than others and are glad to see that not only is the process regulated but limited to a specifically designated location.

Obviously since it is a necessity to allow boats to moor on the water the only alternative to regulated public moorage in a designated area as we have now is to let boat owners moor where ever they want on the lake with no regulations at all. It may be hard for some to understand but it is far fairer and safer to have a federally designated and regulated system restricting moorage to one area than chaos on the whole lake.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Aug 17th, 2014, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic comment.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

LANDM wrote:Do you also feel that the use, along public roads, for parking is also an unfair distribution of public land for the benefit of car owners?
Precisely the same. Just because it is a lake, it doesn't mean that there shouldn't be designated uses, one of which is parking.

look no one said no buoys and no parking what concerned me was the enormus amount of buoys in this area and more so being as far out as 300-400 feet. like do you park in the middle of the road or safely off the shoulder?
use your head beside,s to suck air please
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

wanderingman wrote:[quote="LANDM"Do you also feel that the use, along public roads, for parking is also an unfair distribution of public land for the benefit of car owners?
Precisely the same. Just because it is a lake, it doesn't mean that there shouldn't be designated uses, one of which is parking.[/quote
look no one said no buoys and no parking what concerned me was the enormus amount of buoys in this area and more so being as far out as 300-400 feet. like do you park in the middle of the road or safely off the shoulder?
use your head beside,s to suck air please

Wow, that's a good response....especially since you said in the prior message that you weren't commenting further.

Ever seen a parking lot? Or do you just close your eyes and drive anywhere in your car or boat with no regard to your surroundings?

Off to suck some air......
You and 71 others Like this post
Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Post by Brushy Bill »

Wow , some spirited info here. I learned a few things too , thanks
My initial post was more to the fact that where is more and more development going on in the valley , and the increasing population has diminishing access to the lakes which make up the core reason for living here.

Friends and I were recently accosted while visiting a waterfront area that was set aside in the OCP as public access, but since the development of a gated community , and the blockage of road access , the only way in is by boat . The so called beach owners in the area were not impressed by someone stopping for a picnic , and threats were made. Being good sheeple , we left .

Would be good to see a complete map of public areas posted up on here , but I don't have the puter skills.
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

Several years back I was told about a public access on Okanagan Lake near Vernon. I went out to it and before I even got to the water a neighbour to the access confronted me as to where I thought I was going and told me it was private!!! As I wasn't sure that I was in the right spot I left but inquired at the regional district office and the dept. of highways. It was indeed public property and the locals were doing their best to keep the 'poor folk' out...lol. I armed myself with a photo copy of the area and continued to enjoy this access all Summer. I almost wished the same neighbor had confronted me again but he must of figured out that if I came back I had figured out his lie.
coldfinger

Post by coldfinger »

Here's one source for public beach access around Vernon (probably incomplete, though)

http://www.vernonbeaches.com/
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

The first beach in the above link is Delcliffe! It was the Delcliffe Beach in the 1980's that the neighbour lied to me about it being private and I couldn't use it. It is a beauty and both dept. of highways and regional district had maps showing it was public.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Brushy Bill wrote:Friends and I were recently accosted while visiting a waterfront area that was set aside in the OCP as public access, but since the development of a gated community , and the blockage of road access , the only way in is by boat . The so called beach owners in the area were not impressed by someone stopping for a picnic , and threats were made. Being good sheeple , we left .

Were you taking over the area for a nude beach, Brushy? Perhaps the landowners were just trying to save Grandma and the kids from visual trauma!
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

All beach up to the traditional highwater mark is public.
With the lake dropping as much as it has in the last few weeks that public beach has increased in size greatly.

Return to “Central Okanagan”