Waterfront access

kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Waterfront access

Post by kgcayenne »

What should happen to structures, like ohhhhh beach houses and associated landscaping that are built on public lands outside of the legal property line especially if it encroaches on an area designated as a park or beach access? Should the City just say "Why, thank you very much for the donation." ?

Don't think it happens? Yes it does.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

kgcayenne wrote:What should happen to structures, like ohhhhh beach houses and associated landscaping that are built on public lands outside of the legal property line especially if it encroaches on an area designated as a park or beach access? Should the City just say "Why, thank you very much for the donation." ?

Just ask all those who had gardens on the Arbutus line in Vancouver about building/landscaping on property they don't own.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

kgcayenne wrote:What should happen to structures, like ohhhhh beach houses and associated landscaping that are built on public lands outside of the legal property line especially if it encroaches on an area designated as a park or beach access? Should the City just say "Why, thank you very much for the donation." ?

cv23 wrote:Just ask all those who had gardens on the Arbutus line in Vancouver about building/landscaping on property they don't own.

Ahhh yes, but those folks do not possess the type of wealth that enables purchase of a lot with waterfront access.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

kgcayenne wrote:
Ahhh yes, but those folks do not possess the type of wealth that enables purchase of a lot with waterfront access.

"A fool and his money are often soon parted."
Anyone who develops someone else's property, without some form of a contract in place, runs the risk of losing their investment in that property, public or private.
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

The City of Vernon is currently undertaking a parks consultation process, and has developed a nice Parks map (PDF) which includes all the parks, trails & natural areas within the City, as well as the public accesses around Okanagan Lake:

http://www.vernon.ca/parks/docs/CoV_Parks_Map_Categories.pdf

OK wait a minute, they've changed that map since yesterday!

Here's the map that shows the public accesses:
http://tinyurl.com/l2jfmsv

About buoys... the various Ministries are well aware of the buoy farms on Okanagan Lake (... and have you seen the one by the Outback?). But despite public complaints, not much is expected to change - little to no enforcement action will be taken.
(._.) ( |:) (.-.) (:| ) (._.)

Putt's Law: "Technology is dominated by two types of people, those who understand what they do not manage and those who manage what they do not understand."
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

Ingevan22 wrote:The City of Vernon is currently undertaking a parks consultation process, and has developed a nice Parks map (PDF) which includes all the parks, trails & natural areas within the City, as well as the public accesses around Okanagan Lake:

About buoys... the various Ministries are well aware of the buoy farms on Okanagan Lake (... and have you seen the one by the Outback?). But despite public complaints, not much is expected to change - little to no enforcement action will be taken.

I have seen the one by outback(hate it also) BUT did they not secure a legal lakeshore lease? and they are in a confined area with no real obstructions to passerbys. Go back to lakeview estates its outrageous and I bet anyone that the LV estates is not a legal lease at all
WTTG

Post by WTTG »

I was surfing the Castanet Forum and got interested in your waterfront access thread.

I remembered this clip from last month.

Maybe not your waterfront territory, but I laughed out loud when I first saw it.

Province cracking down on illegal structures

NEWS AT 5 OKANAGAN
July 15 2014 9:02pm

http://globalnews.ca/video/1453130/province-cracking-down-on-illegal-structures/

00:41 “ . . . paid a small fine more than a decade ago and nothing was said ever since. . . .”

02:30 “ . . . I’m gonna do my sixty days in jail, and I’m gonna keep it.”

Brushy Bill, here's a few docks that might come available, short term, for your houseboat this fall.
Last edited by WTTG on Aug 24th, 2014, 6:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

structures such as this one impead no one and block no one from doing anything. The 50 some odd buoys at lakeview estates impead boaters and streach like 400 feet out into the lake .this video is no where near a fair comparison to what iam saying
WTTG

Post by WTTG »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 24th, 2014, 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
WTTG

Post by WTTG »

I'm sorry for responding inappropriately to something I don‘t understand.
Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Post by Brushy Bill »

Thanks for those links , will have to file those.
Wonder how the property owners along side the accesses off Tronson and Lakeshore would respond to a quit beach party on 'their' beach ?
Ingevan22 wrote:The City of Vernon is currently undertaking a parks consultation process, and has developed a nice Parks map (PDF) which includes all the parks, trails & natural areas within the City, as well as the public accesses around Okanagan Lake:

Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Does this mean I can post up on any beach spot in front of anyone's house?
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Yes, but you can expect the homeowners to call the police because if you show up in front of one of their places, you just can't be the right kind of person.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

bob vernon wrote:Yes, but you can expect the homeowners to call the police because if you show up in front of one of their places, you just can't be the right kind of person.

What can the cops do?
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

Gixxer wrote:Does this mean I can post up on any beach spot in front of anyone's house?

technically if you know where the legal high and low water marks are you could do such UNLESS the owner owns the "foreshore" rights. Some do and some don't.This was a real big issue when the city of Vernon got the "bright idea" to make a public walking trail down the lake off OKlanding road as some owned the foreshore and some did not therefore making it not feasable

Return to “Central Okanagan”