24 hours notice?

kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: 24 hours notice?

Post by kgcayenne »

LANDM wrote:No need to interpret or clarify as you have it there in black and white.

I see, we are commenting on different things. My comment was in regards to 146(3)(b). Also, 146(4) is interesting that the landlord would have to pay moving expenses to a maximum of one month's rent simply because of their failure to provide the tenant with the necessary bylaws and paperwork. There are a lot of *bleep* townhouse landlords out there who just ignore, ignore, ignore.

Strata developments can be risky business.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

All councils do not work the same way. Bylaws are written or can be just the cookie cutter ones at LTO when you register as a strata. As an owner you absolutely have a say and as you found out the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
What does not go down are tenants and tenant complaints.. simply put their avenue of complaint is to their landlord and if the landlord, property owner, does not agree or wish to pursue it with the council then that is the end of it.
Things also do not "just happen" ... there are steps and letters and notices to all. If you chose to ignore then it is like complaining about an elected official when you did not even take the time to vote... to little to late.
It is a fact that if you have 10 units you will have 10 opinions but you can be sure, humans being humans, that not all will be different. In this day and age people love company and love to group up to support their views. So for sure 2 or 3 of them would have over coffee decided to side together.
Councils are made up out of those 10 so of course will come to any meeting with their own agenda but then that happens in all such gatherings and is not any different than say a City council meeting
Again, humans being humans ... council members will seek out other council members to get them on their side to sway a vote...
Not one person would say it is a pretty job or even an easy job but it is something that must be done.
What is the worst is when councils get very dictatorial and think they are enforcement officers or little men like creatures with mustaches....the ones who are always on council.
The one I am involved in is a real little clique of quite funny old souls... residents also funny old souls, love to complain and the council loves to write letters... but sorry if you thought it was hard to get rid of an unruly arrogant tenant try ousting someone from a property they own... not that easy and certainly not going to happen over a parking spot or a pile of dog do do. It also is not going to happen just because you do not like a persons tenant when they have the right to rent their unit!
I have instructed my tenants to not engage with them, the council has been instructed not to engage with the tenant but to deliver any correspondence directly to the address provided. Failure to deliver the correspondence directly results in failure to address their concern, and yes I attend every meeting as they are open to all and not just council.
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

omisimaw wrote:All councils do not work the same way. Bylaws are written or can be just the cookie cutter ones at LTO when you register as a strata. As an owner you absolutely have a say and as you found out the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

In my experience, generally strata counsel is elected and then with the exception of major decisions they are on their own. The very odd time, one of the owners would ask to be a visitor at a counsel meeting. Generally only counsel was present. We sent the owners a summary of the issues discussed and our actions.

The yearly, general meeting was attended by any owner that desired. That's where counsel members were voted for and at times other major issues voted on. There is a provision for extraordinary meetings if needed for a major decision that need to be addressed if the general meeting date was not appropriate.

omisimaw wrote:Things also do not "just happen" ... there are steps and letters and notices to all.

In many cases, decision on perceived "small" issues are decided on my counsel and action is taken, the owners are notified that such and such has been decided. You can imagine if every single small decision was proposed and voted on by the owners, nothing could ever get done.

omisimaw wrote:It is a fact that if you have 10 units you will have 10 opinions but you can be sure, humans being humans, that not all will be different.

And that is exactly why, for the small decisions, a strata complex votes in a strata counsel to make these decision without the approval of all the owners.

omisimaw wrote:Councils are made up out of those 10 so of course will come to any meeting with their own agenda but then that happens in all such gatherings and is not any different than say a City council meeting

I was referring to someone who in general had no aspiration of running for an elected position to serve his/her peers they have one issue that they want complete, run, get elected, push for that issue and then are never seen again. We all have ideas and points of view, I was referring to a more self centered reason for running.

omisimaw wrote:The one I am involved in is a real little clique of quite funny old souls... residents also funny old souls, love to complain and the council loves to write letters

One of the problems is that people who don't work 9 - 5, retired or whatever have more time to devote to a strata counsel and sometimes their issues don't reflect the concerns of the actual majority who, because of their daily life commitments can't make or don't have the time for such strata activities.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Group people together and you will have problems

Our strata does not work that way and ALL decisions are to be agreed upon by the whole.

Not necessary for a vote for small stuff, just a notice and a reasonable time to contact a council member if not in agreement.

Lots of both working and non working in our mix and meetings and the goings on of council are held at a time convenient for the majority, after normal business hours, and for absentee owners.

We get a great number on a regular basis at the meetings.... maybe it is the appetizers and social that follows but it does the trick.

BUT it is a fact that there are far more complainers and whiners than there are individuals who know they are living in a semi communal style of life and try to get along, and if not they at least stay behind their cubbyhole doors and say nothing.

I pity those living in a communist strata.... if you are .... take a look and see if they have filed income tax returns... if not call CRA and throw some heat back at them.
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar

Return to “Central Okanagan”