Leftist Vernon mayor smears Federal MP

bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Leftist Vernon mayor smears Federal MP

Post by bob vernon »

At the recent unveiling of a monument to the homeless in Vernon (why would they ever do this?), the Federal MP for the region, Colin Mayes of Salmon Arm, stated that "homelessness is not and was not a government issue." Vernon mayor, Rob Sawatzky ripped Mayes in the media, stating that it was the business of all levels of government and that federal and provincial downloading, and closure of psychiatric institutions, have contributed to homelessness. Mayes further defended himself by saying that "in nine years as mayor of Salmon Arm, I never criticized higher levels of government."

Sawatzky isn't even running this time. Why would he do something like this? Colin Mayes has been an honourable leader of the community for years.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Leftist Vernon mayor smears Federal MP

Post by Glacier »

The outgoing mayor's response was way over the top in my opinion, and he seems to have taken the MP's comment out of context, which isn't surprising since the mayor wasn't even there to hear the comment. Mayes was talking about how a lot of homelessness has to deal with drugs and mental illness.

Aw well, at least the mayor finally did something to get himself into the papers. I was beginning to wonder if that was ever going to happen.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

swatskys is an idiot and the most useless mayor we have had in many many years whom did nothing to enhance the betterment of Vernon.All one can hope is the next one is a thinker and leader and not easly swayed by union leaders etc such as swatsky is and was in my personal observation and opinion
if anyone disagrees please feel free to list his accomplishments that was for the betterment of Vernon in General
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

Mayes is a moron! To equate homelessness to mental health issues and then eliminate the government in that equation is laughable! How much support is the government giving to help those with mental health issues? I know on the school level, and I know that is Provincial, they have been continually cutting school funding to support special needs. So where do you think those homeless come from? Maybe if you look at supporting them instead of throwing them out with the bath water they would have a better chance at not ending up homeless.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

One of Colin's favourite targets is always "special interest groups". Like the mentally ill and the homeless, I guess. But isn't Big Oil, who the Feds actually SUBSIDIZE, a special interest group. And BigBanks, aren't they a special interest group, too.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

rookie314 wrote:Mayes is a moron! To equate homelessness to mental health issues and then eliminate the government in that equation is laughable! How much support is the government giving to help those with mental health issues? I know on the school level, and I know that is Provincial, they have been continually cutting school funding to support special needs. So where do you think those homeless come from? Maybe if you look at supporting them instead of throwing them out with the bath water they would have a better chance at not ending up homeless.

i agree with your statement, and if that guy was a good mayor or not , im glad someone had the courage to call a spade a spade.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

So y'all don't think a decrease in funding for mental health has increased homelessness?

Interesting. You should tell that to the folks in DTES Vancouver who were former residents of Riverview.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

36Drew wrote:So y'all don't think a decrease in funding for mental health has increased homelessness?

I don't think anyone in here was saying that.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

well then its a govt. problem then , seems clear
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

lakevixen wrote:well then its a govt. problem then , seems clear

No one, including Mayes, said anything remotely close to what 36Drew says people are saying. Here is what Mayes actually said:

“My comment was it’s not government’s fault there is homelessness. They (homeless) have come into homeless issues because of disabilities or addictions,” he said, adding that the federal government has invested in programs that assist the homeless.

“Providing housing for every homeless person is not the solution to the reason they are homeless or why those we were remembering passed away. I further said that this is a community issue. We must reach out as citizens to the homeless and help them deal with their addictions and illness. This was an event to remember those that had succumbed to their illness, not a time to criticize government for not giving enough money to fix the problem. Money is not the solution to this issue.”
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Central Okanagan”