Plowing and sanding are NOT enough

dg3
Board Meister

Re: Plowing and sanding are NOT enough

Post by dg3 »

coffeeFreak wrote:"The good neighbour" bylaw in Vernon requires the specific address must be obtained before any action can be taken by Bylaw. This includes both residential and commercial properties. The officers cannot act on their own initiative even when it is an obvious offence. They can give out parking ticket in the downtown core, but must walk, jump and slide through the random snowbanks just like everyone else. They are only allowed to act if a citizen has lodged an official complaint. I can see this "good neighbour" bylaw applying to residential, but it seems that businesses, schools, transit, city parking lots etc should and must act within 24 hours to clear a safe passage way on any sidewalk found along their property.

i am talking major routes that the city is responsible for, 32 and 27 streets, stop wasting resources in alleys they just make a mess back there, drive the plow trucks down the side walks if need be,
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

too bad it's not as simple as some folks think it is.
dg3
Board Meister

Post by dg3 »

gordon_as wrote:too bad it's not as simple as some folks think it is.

but it is, all it takes is competent leadership and common sense.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Common sense. Common sense means that the city should plow the street in front of my house first. And then the one in front of my business next. Common sense would mean that they plow the alley behind by house after that, because it's garbage day and we have laneway pickup.

If sense is "common", it must be a truth that is held by almost everybody. Maybe in these conservative times in which we live, it would be common sense to eliminate the snow clearing budget altogether in order to give everybody a nice tax cut. Those who could afford 4 wheel drive would be able to get around. Those with two wheel drive wouldn't. Survival of the richest. A true free enterprise society. It's just common sense.

And let's reduce the number of people working at BC Hydro who repair the downed hydro lines. We could cut electricity rates. Those with their own standby generators would get by. It's just common sense. Or should we hire more hydro repair people. That's just common sense, too. Wait a minute. Some of us have one kind of common sense and others have another common sense. I guess if you agree with me you have common sense and if you don't agree with me you don't have common sense.

Why can't you see that I'm right? It's just common sense.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

common sense tells me to hire three people to repair hydro lines @110K per year and not one at 330K Per year as it stands today
dg3
Board Meister

Post by dg3 »

common sense is when pedestrians are walking down the highway in vernon maybe its time to clear the sidewalks after 5 days.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

dg3 wrote:common sense is when pedestrians are walking down the highway in vernon maybe its time to clear the sidewalks after 5 days.

How about you get out there with a shovel? Alternatively, next round of elections why don't you run and how us how its done?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I have no problem with the job they did. My only criticism is they need to take care of traffic light intersections as far as ice buildup, more sand or whatever it takes.
Also I thought homes and businesses are suppose to take care of city sidewalks in front of their places?

Return to “Central Okanagan”