74 year old in Enderby...

omisimaw
Guru

74 year old in Enderby...

Post by omisimaw »

My thoughts jumped to elder bashing the minute I saw the newscast. I think the RCMP time would be better spent dealing with what appears to be a rookie constable who lost control of a situation or at best tried to exert her importance over everyone.
Give me a break the woman is 74 walks with the assistance of a walker did not throw anything or produce any weapon yet found herself thrown into the bushes for what she said!
Disgusting, and uncalled for.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

She should have had more respect for the officer and kept her hands to herself. Not all elderly are innocent.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Post by mechanic_virus »

Senior Assaults Cops
by Wayne Moore - Story: 30967
June 19, 2007 / 11:30 am

Enderby RCMP learned the hard way --- don't tick off Grandma.

A 76-year woman was taken into custody in Enderby after she assaulted two police officers.

According to police, a lone female officer encountered a group of teens drinking near the Shuswap River Saturday evening.

Three of the teens were arrested for alcohol and drug related offences.

RCMP say the accused, who lived near-by, approached the scene along with her husband. Her grand-daughter was apparently one of the teens present.

Police say the woman became verbally and physically aggressive and assaulted the officer when asked to step back.

She was placed under arrest, but instead, returned to her home.

Other officers who attended the scene entered the woman's home to execute the arrest.

The woman apparently resisted and assaulted a second officer.

She was eventually taken into custody in Enderby.

She is scheduled to appear in court at a later date.

Elder-Bashing? What story did you read, mumzee?
First off, she was 76, not 74. I saw nothing about a walker, and nothing about her being thrown into the bushes. Seems to me like she was just a pissed-off old woman who wasn't about to let her granddaughter be arrested.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

My mom lives out there. She walks the Riverwalk every morning. I will get the story.

I didn't see anything about "elder bashing".
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The "lady" admits to grabbing the officer. The officer called for backup so I would think there's another side to "whoa is me" story and the "lady" has been charged.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

It could also make a difference just where "along the river" this occurred.

The Shuswap River runs from Mable Lake, right through Enderby. In certain areas, the riverbank is on native land. There may be more to this story than we have seen.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Gardengirl I think you can count on "more of the story" and like any stories that start in the middle, we may never get to the end.
westsidemom
Board Meister

Post by westsidemom »

On the CHBC news story, she was shown with a walker, and says she was thrown into the bushes, it didnt say anything about a granddauhter though.
But I suspected she had to have known the teens to be so upset.

http://www.chbc.com/index.php?name=News ... &sid=14322
Ignorance is curable; stupidity is not...
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

westsidemom wrote:On the CHBC news story, she was shown with a walker, and says she was thrown into the bushes, it didnt say anything about a granddauhter though.
But I suspected she had to have known the teens to be so upset.

http://www.chbc.com/index.php?name=News ... &sid=14322

If she uses a walker, that indicates that she is not very steady on her feet.
If she grabbed the officer and they pushed her away, it is entirely possible that she just fell down. Not that the officer pushed her down.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

The OP of this thread is well know for her shall I say "decidedly offbeat views" of clear and basic situations. I'm surprised that she didn't demand the RCMP officer be shot at dawn for being under the age of 40 *personal remarks deleted* The elderly woman was clearly asked to step back while the officer performed her job. If she had been a 25 year old male and not a 74 year old female she should have deservedly found herself face down on the ground in handcuffs not simply pushed away if she was indeed pushed or as someone else speculated just fell over on her own.
If she wanted to see her grand daughter released she should have simply gone down to the police station and requested so.
CountryAtHeart
Lord of the Board

Post by CountryAtHeart »

I watched the newscast of it and my impression was that this was not some mild mannered little old lady barely able to keep herself upright in her walker.

I could definately see her becoming confrontational. And if this was an officer by herself amongst a group of teens who were under the influence then she definately could have been seen as an instigater if as the woman herself said "she was telling the officer to leave the kids alone".
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Remember she also assaulted yet a second police officer later in the evening.
Coincidence that two different police officer would supposedly participate in so-called "elder bashing" , especially when people were arrested so the entire matter was on record?
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

CV23 How many years have or were you employed in a position where you had the ability to arrest and detain individuals and do you even have the slightest idea what the term elder bashing means?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

CV23 How many years have or were you employed in a position where you had the ability to arrest and detain individuals and do you even have the slightest idea what the term elder bashing means
what difference does it make what cv23's position was and why not enlighten everyone what YOUR definition is of elder bashing so that everyone is on the same page. The RCMP did not do any "elder bashing" which implys deliberate physical abuse. You have no evidence that it happened and you weren't there. If the person were 20 years old, would you be drawing the same conclusions?
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Just because someone attains the age of 76 is no guarantee that they have class, manners or are non violent.

Thank goodness most mellow out by that time but there is also an abundant supply of those who simply have decades of attitude that they'd be more than happy to share given half a chance.

Taking on police officers isn't exactly the smartest move regardless of age not to mention doing nothing in so far as sending the correct message to the grandchild goes.

Return to “Central Okanagan”