Tuesday, September 16th26.5°C
23373
22916

Pot posession charges 88% increase in BC

B.C. topics.

Moderators: oneh2obabe, Triple 6, Jo, ferri

Pot posession charges 88% increase in BC

Postby SurplusElect » Nov 14th, 2012, 5:14 pm

"We are not going after the small guys - we are going after the gangs"

"These new drugs laws will only effect gangsters".

Heard these lines recently?

"Having said that, I will tell you that I don't think you could give me an incident where we have charged anyone for simple possession of marijuana here over the last 12 months,"


That' s Kelowna's own Bill McKinnon in this article. http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/75 ... bud-battle

Despite this statement, Kelowna RCMP charged 187 people with pot possession in 2011. Pot possession charges are up a whopping 88 percent across the province.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/illega ... story.html

Using the above link, search a community to find out how much money the RCMP are wasting in your area. 88 percent increase despite the talking point of "we hardly charge people anymore". Ridiculous.
SurplusElect
Übergod
 
Posts: 1618
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 3 posts
Joined: May 29th, 2012, 1:45 pm

Re: Pot poession charges 88% increase in BC

Postby Looney » Nov 14th, 2012, 5:29 pm

Good for the RCMP. Last time I checked pot was illegal. People caught with it should be charged.
Looney
Fledgling
 
Posts: 129
Likes: 10 posts
Liked in: 10 posts
Joined: May 15th, 2012, 7:41 am

Re: Pot poession charges 88% increase in BC

Postby jennylives » Nov 14th, 2012, 5:38 pm

It's such a waste of time. I can't wait for this to be voted on, do with away with this archaic law and go deal with actual crimes.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
User avatar
jennylives
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10501
Likes: 474 posts
Liked in: 964 posts
Joined: Nov 27th, 2004, 11:53 am

Re: Pot poession charges 88% increase in BC

Postby WhatThe » Nov 14th, 2012, 5:58 pm

Looney wrote:Good for the RCMP. Last time I checked pot was illegal. People caught with it should be charged.

Seriously that's you're reasoning? Obey the law, doesn't matter one bit how much it costs me.
Our problem is that people are obedient all over the world in the face of poverty and starvation, and war, and cruelty. People are obedient while the jails are full of petty thieves, while the grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem.
User avatar
WhatThe
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4022
Likes: 72 posts
Liked in: 106 posts
Joined: Feb 25th, 2009, 1:13 pm

Re: Pot poession charges 88% increase in BC

Postby Sn0man » Nov 14th, 2012, 6:04 pm

Lock them up and throw away the key! Marijuana is the #1 enemy - a dangerous drug that results in criminal behaviour such as potato chip eating and tv watching.

Ridiculous.
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
User avatar
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 881
Likes: 42 posts
Liked in: 30 posts
Joined: May 6th, 2010, 1:05 pm
Location: Alberta

Re: Pot posession charges 88% increase in BC

Postby Captain Awesome » Nov 14th, 2012, 7:56 pm

Damn cops doing their job, how dare they.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
User avatar
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 22789
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 1413 posts
Joined: Jul 22nd, 2008, 5:06 pm
Location: The United Colonies of The Lizard People

Re: Pot posession charges 88% increase in BC

Postby goatboy » Nov 14th, 2012, 9:41 pm

Ohhhhh.... 187 charges. That's 150 per 100,000 population, well at the bottom of the list. I'm sure they really do have better things to do but sometimes you have no choice but to charge someone.
goatboy
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4644
Likes: 50 posts
Liked in: 700 posts
Joined: Feb 26th, 2008, 9:56 pm

Re: Pot posession charges 88% increase in BC

Postby Ken7 » Nov 14th, 2012, 10:23 pm

I say you have to spend money to make money. Sometimes have to climb the ladder, rember snakes and ladders!

The big busts usually are as a result of several small fries!! There are many snakes out there.
Ken7
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3718
Likes: 507 posts
Liked in: 276 posts
Joined: Sep 30th, 2007, 4:09 pm

Re: Pot posession charges 88% increase in BC

Postby Smurf » Nov 15th, 2012, 7:50 am

I'm betting you wouldn't see those number drop much and possibly even increase if it was legalized. It will probably be controlled very similar to alcohol. You will still be caught on occasion with it in your car or on your person in a public place. It will still be against the law. Probably sold in a sealed package like alcohol and it will be illegal to have it open the same as alcohol. One article I read said Washington was considering using a blood test if you were caught driving impaired or possibly impaired. Probably means they would demand a blood test meaning you would go to a hospital and take up a lot of yours and police time. If you refused you would probably be automatically charged like alcohol. And on and on and on. There would be nothing but complaining just like there is now and as I said possibly as many if not more charges. Open MJ in your vehicle, possession by a minor. I doubt it will be as perfect as many believe or hope.

Ohhhhh.... 187 charges. That's 150 per 100,000 population, well at the bottom of the list. I'm sure they really do have better things to do but sometimes you have no choice but to charge someone
.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
User avatar
Smurf
Guru
 
Posts: 5448
Likes: 529 posts
Liked in: 491 posts
Joined: Aug 12th, 2006, 8:55 am
Location: Okanagan BC

Re: Pot posession charges 88% increase in BC

Postby FreeRights » Nov 15th, 2012, 9:47 am

If there is a problem with current drug laws, it is an issue that must be dealt with by politicians. The police cannot simply stop enforcing laws that you, I, or they don't agree with. And with the law as it stands now, you cannot go after the gangs without working your way up the ladder starting at the users.
Although he had infinite patience, he was annoyed,
FreeRights
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2246
Likes: 4 posts
Liked in: 96 posts
Joined: Oct 15th, 2007, 2:36 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC

Re: Pot posession charges 88% increase in BC

Postby xjeepguy » Nov 15th, 2012, 10:02 am

SurplusElect wrote:"We are not going after the small guys - we are going after the gangs"

"These new drugs laws will only effect gangsters".

Heard these lines recently?

"Having said that, I will tell you that I don't think you could give me an incident where we have charged anyone for simple possession of marijuana here over the last 12 months,"


That' s Kelowna's own Bill McKinnon in this article. http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/75 ... bud-battle

Despite this statement, Kelowna RCMP charged 187 people with pot possession in 2011. Pot possession charges are up a whopping 88 percent across the province.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/illega ... story.html

Using the above link, search a community to find out how much money the RCMP are wasting in your area. 88 percent increase despite the talking point of "we hardly charge people anymore". Ridiculous.



If they eliminate pot , 2/3 of the justice system will get lay off notices .
The Great Pumpkin is coming
User avatar
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16895
Likes: 2532 posts
Liked in: 569 posts
Joined: Aug 3rd, 2008, 8:53 am
Location: Milky Way

Re: Pot posession charges 88% increase in BC

Postby Treblehook » Nov 15th, 2012, 10:34 am

This statistic would seem to support the contention that there are an awful lot of people out there smoking pot. It would be interesting to have statistics to reflect the age group most prevalent within the charged individuals. What is also of concern to me is the number of people that are out there on the roads everyday who are stoned out of their minds while driving. There are lots of them out there folks.
User avatar
Treblehook
Übergod
 
Posts: 1055
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 202 posts
Joined: Jan 17th, 2011, 2:10 am

Re: Pot posession charges 88% increase in BC

Postby SurplusElect » Nov 15th, 2012, 10:48 am

FreeRights wrote:If there is a problem with current drug laws, it is an issue that must be dealt with by politicians. The police cannot simply stop enforcing laws that you, I, or they don't agree with. And with the law as it stands now, you cannot go after the gangs without working your way up the ladder starting at the users.


The police in this case were commenting on "changing the laws" or rather the need not to change the laws because according to the chief, nobody in Kelowna gets charged with possession. Oops.

Working your way up the ladder only goes as far as murder. Meaning - you can only arrest so many lowlifes until you reach the point where "ratting" out superiors means death for them or their family. Small fish go to jail while the guys running the show continue on. Get lucky and busty a big guy - someone will take his place in less than a hour.
SurplusElect
Übergod
 
Posts: 1618
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 3 posts
Joined: May 29th, 2012, 1:45 pm

Re: Pot posession charges 88% increase in BC

Postby NAB » Nov 15th, 2012, 11:09 am

Aren't charges for "simple possession of marijuana" and "possession of marijuana" two different things? I can understand not much emphasis and resources being allocated to "simple possession", but possession beyond that small personal degree can warrant a lot of attention being paid to it IMO.

And I agree that something significant must be done to be able to identify those who use and drive.
NAB
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 22985
Likes: 38 posts
Liked in: 206 posts
Joined: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Re: Pot posession charges 88% increase in BC

Postby grammafreddy » Nov 15th, 2012, 11:16 am

Treblehook wrote:This statistic would seem to support the contention that there are an awful lot of people out there smoking pot. It would be interesting to have statistics to reflect the age group most prevalent within the charged individuals. What is also of concern to me is the number of people that are out there on the roads everyday who are stoned out of their minds while driving. There are lots of them out there folks.


I don't think its just pot, either. Some time ago I heard there's a lot of middle income, job-holding coke users out driving on the roads, too. Can anyone comment on that?

How about prescription drug users - even for all the right reasons - not the abusers of the Rx drugs? Are there many of them who use poorer judgement because they are taking meds for some condition?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
User avatar
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber
 
Posts: 28551
Likes: 2199 posts
Liked in: 776 posts
Joined: Mar 17th, 2007, 10:52 am

Next

Return to British Columbia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests