Friday, August 22nd14.5°C
22951
22186

Banning smokers in public, yea or nay

B.C. topics.

Moderators: oneh2obabe, Jo, ferri, Triple 6

Tightening the ban on smokers

Yes totally
29
43%
No
32
48%
I dont give a s
6
9%
 
Total votes : 67

Re: Banning smokers in public yeah or neah

Postby French Castanut » Jan 21st, 2013, 11:14 pm

One day I saw an old man smoking a cigare in his car, windows up.
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
User avatar
French Castanut
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3679
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sep 16th, 2011, 6:46 pm
Location: Okanogan

Re: Banning smokers in public yeah or neah

Postby juz516 » Jan 22nd, 2013, 7:58 am

and that would be the old man's choice, not yours. Obviously, the smoke wasn't bothering you. Good god people. We, as smokers, have rights too.....and yes, there are ignorant people that don't give a dam about who is around....but there are also those of us that do care and will move away from people.....but you know what? I have had people move TOWARD me when outside having a smoke.....just to wave their hands in front of their faces....ignorant as well, I would say.

Secondhand smoke causes cancer - just sayin'


And so do a million other things that you ingest or breath in on a daily basis that you don't even think about. Do you know how tired of this bs the smokers are? Do you realize that you are infringing of their rights as well? Of course you do...but who cares, right? But, just maybe, crying, bi**hing, and whining about it all the time makes them more ignorant?
this country is no longer the "land of the free", that's for sure...and I will be really happy to get out of it. Mind you, there is a man in New Zealand that wants to ban cats. LOLOL So I suppose there are that type of people everywhere, but I do think BC has more than it's fair share.
juz516
Board Meister
 
Posts: 632
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Jul 26th, 2008, 11:19 pm

Re: Banning smokers in public yeah or neah

Postby Fancy » Jan 22nd, 2013, 10:03 am

I fail to see what your rant had to do with my initial response. Read up on some of the corresponding threads and you'll understand.
Fancy
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 29649
Likes: 204 posts
Liked in: 667 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Re: Banning smokers in public yeah or neah

Postby juz516 » Jan 22nd, 2013, 10:40 am

absolutely nothing to do with you personally....that phrase is used all the time, is all.
juz516
Board Meister
 
Posts: 632
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Jul 26th, 2008, 11:19 pm

Re: Banning smokers in public yeah or neah

Postby Fancy » Jan 22nd, 2013, 10:45 am

That wasn't my initial response. I point out that some people do in fact detest outdoor smoking (depending on the circumstances) and posters want to bring up everything else unrelated to make their point. I personally don't care as long as smokers are respectful but a blanket statement that people don't care is inaccurate according to other discussions on this subject.
Fancy
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 29649
Likes: 204 posts
Liked in: 667 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Re: Banning smokers in public yeah or neah

Postby juz516 » Jan 22nd, 2013, 12:04 pm

read it how you like...doesn't much matter to me
juz516
Board Meister
 
Posts: 632
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Jul 26th, 2008, 11:19 pm

Re: Banning smokers in public yeah or neah

Postby Fancy » Jan 22nd, 2013, 12:11 pm

Actually, I was asking you to reread it.
Fancy
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 29649
Likes: 204 posts
Liked in: 667 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Re: Banning smokers in public yeah or neah

Postby Graham Adder » Jan 22nd, 2013, 3:17 pm

Ban tobacco.
Too much of our tax base is spent on the side effects and trying to save the lives of those who can't be bothered to save their own.
Second hand smoke is killing innocent bystanders.
It's a known cancer causing agent that has been systematically altered to garner a higher addictive component to keep people weak enough to wash/rinse/repeat. Emphasis on the repeat.
There are not enough positives to keeping it legal.

The smokers who support the use...are addicted or only standing on that soap box to garner attention for an underlying cause.
It certainly isn't about human rights or free choice.

Ban the stinking things already and let's bring in the ganj.
:ducking:
User avatar
Graham Adder
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4315
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 11 posts
Joined: Apr 14th, 2009, 9:51 am

Re: Banning smokers in public yeah or neah

Postby simnut » Jan 22nd, 2013, 3:59 pm

Graham Adder wrote:Ban tobacco.
Too much of our tax base is spent on the side effects and trying to save the lives of those who can't be bothered to save their own.
Second hand smoke is killing innocent bystanders.
It's a known cancer causing agent that has been systematically altered to garner a higher addictive component to keep people weak enough to wash/rinse/repeat. Emphasis on the repeat.
There are not enough positives to keeping it legal.

The smokers who support the use...are addicted or only standing on that soap box to garner attention for an underlying cause.
It certainly isn't about human rights or free choice.

Ban the stinking things already and let's bring in the ganj.
:ducking:


You think the government will ban tobacco, while they are strongly considering legalizing pot? lol I don't think so!

If you want to ban tobacco for reasons you mentioned...then you might as well promote banning alcohol (known to cause liver disease), cars (known to cause fatalities, even innocent bystanders) and more! Just won't happen. Some of we smokers just have to be a little more polite about when and where we smoke. That would save many hassles! :sillygrin:
I don't have issues with police, just their boss....the government......
simnut
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 895
Likes: 41 posts
Liked in: 70 posts
Joined: Feb 4th, 2012, 1:36 pm

Re: Banning smokers in public yeah or neah

Postby underscore » Jan 22nd, 2013, 4:15 pm

I absolutely hate being someplace and having someones smoke blown into me or stinking up the place. I've met some very considerate smokers that will move downwind and to the outside edge of a group or area so that their smoke doesn't get blown into anyone, but they seem to be few and far between. If you want to give in to your addiction and slowly kill yourself go ahead, but don't ruin things for everyone else and contaminate things with second hand smoke (especially anywhere with kids around).

simnut wrote: You think the government will ban tobacco, while they are strongly considering legalizing pot? lol I don't think so!

If you want to ban tobacco for reasons you mentioned...then you might as well promote banning alcohol (known to cause liver disease), cars (known to cause fatalities, even innocent bystanders) and more! Just won't happen. Some of we smokers just have to be a little more polite about when and where we smoke. That would save many hassles! :sillygrin:


The only flaw in that is that cigarettes have been modified to make them more dangerous and addictive, alcohol (not so much) and cars (a heck of a lot) have been modified to make them safer.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
underscore
Übergod
 
Posts: 1469
Likes: 1026 posts
Liked in: 147 posts
Joined: Apr 5th, 2007, 11:12 pm

Re: Banning smokers in public yeah or neah

Postby Graham Adder » Jan 22nd, 2013, 4:20 pm

there is no comparing cigarettes to anything else
they are in a class of their own

the fact is:
there is no justifiable reason to keep cigarettes legal
or
there are no justifiable reasons to keep cigarettes legal

either way, it just doesn't make sense to do what we do
User avatar
Graham Adder
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4315
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 11 posts
Joined: Apr 14th, 2009, 9:51 am

Re: Banning smokers in public yeah or neah

Postby simnut » Jan 22nd, 2013, 4:38 pm

underscore wrote:I absolutely hate being someplace and having someones smoke blown into me or stinking up the place. I've met some very considerate smokers that will move downwind and to the outside edge of a group or area so that their smoke doesn't get blown into anyone, but they seem to be few and far between. If you want to give in to your addiction and slowly kill yourself go ahead, but don't ruin things for everyone else and contaminate things with second hand smoke (especially anywhere with kids around).


I agree, that is why I said smokers need to be more considerate and there will be less hassle.



underscore wrote:The only flaw in that is that cigarettes have been modified to make them more dangerous and addictive, alcohol (not so much) and cars (a heck of a lot) have been modified to make them safer.


Alcohol - made stronger, quicker to drunk stage

Cars - made to go faster (an addiction in itself) makes them more dangerous and attractive
I don't have issues with police, just their boss....the government......
simnut
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 895
Likes: 41 posts
Liked in: 70 posts
Joined: Feb 4th, 2012, 1:36 pm

Re: Banning smokers in public yeah or neah

Postby simnut » Jan 22nd, 2013, 5:11 pm

Graham Adder wrote:
there is no justifiable reason to keep cigarettes legal


Is there a justifiable reason for alcohol to be legal?

there are no justifiable reasons to keep cigarettes legal


Is there a justifiable reason for strip clubs to be legal? Or guns........?
I don't have issues with police, just their boss....the government......
simnut
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 895
Likes: 41 posts
Liked in: 70 posts
Joined: Feb 4th, 2012, 1:36 pm

Re: Banning smokers in public yeah or neah

Postby ford150 » Jan 22nd, 2013, 5:45 pm

Cigarette smoke doesn’t bother me I can hold my breath as I pass a smoker. I also notice 99% of them are considerate enough to smoke away from people. If this whole ban talk is about cancer and air quality why not go after the orchardists that burn pruning’s all spring, summer and fall to the point you can’t see across the valley due to all the stinking smoke coming from their fires. I think this thick smoke trapped in the valley for weeks at a time could cause more second hand respiratory ailments and cancers then all the cigarettes produced worldwide. Just wondering if they also want to ban campfires in the provincial parks or just the cigarettes. Seems odd that you can have a smokey ol' campfire but not a smoke? I have even seen kids sitting around these campfires omg. Are there stats to say how many people fall ill from second hand cigarette smoke from out door sources? Cant be very high if any. When I worked as a welder the smokers were told they had to go outside for a smoke, kind of funny because when you were outside you couldnt see back into the shop from all of the welding cutting and grinding smoke. Live and let die I say. Also one last thing, do smokers realy cost the medical system or do they just get cancer and die whereas a healthy jogger will require hip and knee replacement(s) then will live to be 100 in a taxpayer paid home for their last 10 or 20 years?
ford150
 
Posts: 65
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Aug 29th, 2012, 7:08 pm

Re: Banning smokers in public yeah or neah

Postby simnut » Jan 22nd, 2013, 6:53 pm

Kind of funny....take the total of yes's in the poll, along with the "i don't care" category, and it's just about bang on to the percentage of non smokers in canada.....according to Stats Canada :D
I don't have issues with police, just their boss....the government......
simnut
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 895
Likes: 41 posts
Liked in: 70 posts
Joined: Feb 4th, 2012, 1:36 pm

PreviousNext

Return to British Columbia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests