Kinder Morgan and Burnaby

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: Kinder Morgan and Burnaby

Post by maryjane48 »

The First Nations have a sacred fire burning, and have been permitted by the RCMP to cross the tape line to keep it going. The media considers them to be rather photogenic. However, there's a lot of people involved in the protest, not just the First Nations. The folks that KM have targetted, those that have been named specifically in the court proceedings (as opposed to Jane and John Does), and that have actually been calling out to people to come are the Caretakers of Burnaby Mountain. There are First Nations in that group, as well as Asians, Caucasians, and people from all walks of life.

It's been well-publicized. Again - you've taken the top three photos from a twitter stream and dropped them in as "evidence". Try scouring CBC's reporting on this. Read the court documents, and the full discussion that's taken place.
it is always first nations leading the way on the environment, why you would think otherwise is beyond me, the fact that some other ethnic groups show , does not mean hirst nation are not taking the lead, for example , the tailings spill from mt polley , its mostly first nations still complaining about lack of clean up, not many whites seem to remember it happened
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

daria wrote:From what I understand from people on the ground (http://twitter.com/hashtag/BurnabyMountain?src=hash), First Nations people have been instrumental in these protests against Kinder Morgan (in addition to their allies and friends) alongside the city of Burnaby's legal fight against Kinder Morgan.

I am not making anything up, but rather basing what I am writing on what I see on the livestream provided by Sea Shepherd Vancouver. http://www.ustream.tv/channel/sea-sheph ... urce=embed

36Drew wrote:The First Nations have a sacred fire burning, and have been permitted by the RCMP to cross the tape line to keep it going. The media considers them to be rather photogenic. However, there's a lot of people involved in the protest, not just the First Nations. The folks that KM have targetted, those that have been named specifically in the court proceedings (as opposed to Jane and John Does), and that have actually been calling out to people to come are the Caretakers of Burnaby Mountain. There are First Nations in that group, as well as Asians, Caucasians, and people from all walks of life.

It's been well-publicized. Again - you've taken the top three photos from a twitter stream and dropped them in as "evidence". Try scouring CBC's reporting on this. Read the court documents, and the full discussion that's taken place.

Actually, those three photos were screen captures that I made myself from the livestream. Listening to the livestream, I noted the protesters who were gathered thanked the First Nations elders and leaders for their leadership. The First Nations role in fighting pipelines in BC is not merely photogenic. Additionally, the RCMP removed and arrested Sut-Lut (a Squamish woman) from tending the sacred fire (that was last Thursday). She is back (and she spoke today on the livestream). Since last Thursday, the RCMP have been much more respectful of the First Nations people bearing witness.
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
"I figured out how to monetize SJWs." Jordan B. Peterson
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

dok.JPG

No kidding!
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

I love all you left wing eco nuts and your want and desire to oppose all forms of modern technology. Warms my heart. I will not bother to get in an argument with radicals as it is pointless. Just like arguing with an ISIL terrorist, the end result will never be changing the mind of the extreme. The Grand Chief is a great example. Has had the PIB living in the stone age while bands on either side are striving, or at least way better off. "Dear Uncle" is well known in this city and has had many interactions over time with the residents. My favorite quote is from the right (correct) wing thinktank Fraser Institute.
"well-known militant", "former Indian blockader" and "a practiced and clever user of both physical intimidation and the quotable quote"

Truer words have never been spoken.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

JagXKR wrote:I love all you left wing eco nuts and your want and desire to oppose all forms of modern technology.

Sure - there's some nutjobs. But let's face facts. KM is proposing drilling through a wilderness preserve. The same type of wilderness preserve that Mission Creek Greenway or Knox Mountain Park would be. I think if somebody proposed disturbing your city's treasures against the will of the people, when that somebody already has another viable route, that you'd be a tad upset. Maybe not you personally, as you seem to have little regard for those protected areas - but I'm pretty sure that the majority of Kelowna would be upset if KM simply declared they were going to run a pipeline through the greenway. Even more-so if they already had one running under springfield and could just add the capacity there.

JagXKR wrote: Warms my heart. I will not bother to get in an argument with radicals as it is pointless.

Of course you won't get into an argument. You have no stake in this (it doesn't affect your own habitat), and you don't have any regard for what Burnaby Mountain Park is, nor do you have any vested interest in it. Arguing with those "eco nuts" might simply poke holes in your own opinions and we certainly don't want that.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

JagXKR wrote:I love all you left wing eco nuts and your want and desire to oppose all forms of modern technology. Warms my heart. I will not bother to get in an argument with radicals as it is pointless. Just like arguing with an ISIL terrorist, the end result will never be changing the mind of the extreme. The Grand Chief is a great example. Has had the PIB living in the stone age while bands on either side are striving, or at least way better off. "Dear Uncle" is well known in this city and has had many interactions over time with the residents. My favorite quote is from the right (correct) wing thinktank Fraser Institute.
"well-known militant", "former Indian blockader" and "a practiced and clever user of both physical intimidation and the quotable quote"

Truer words have never been spoken.

harper supporter.jpg
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

lakevixen wrote: it is always first nations leading the way on the environment

Yeah, burning those police cars is actually GOOD for the environment.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... e14904344/

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-native-chief-c ... -1.1504393
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

you have to laugh at the GROSS incompetence of the kinder morgan legal team... and what malfeasance they will attempt to get their way. luckily it wasnt the scumbag liberals to the rescue but an impartial judge who "laughed them out of the court for their incompetence!

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#127798
judge threw out civil contempt charges Thursday against dozens of activists who have been arrested while demonstrating against a pipeline project on a mountain near Vancouver.

The ruling came a week after the RCMP began rounding up protesters on Burnaby Mountain, where Kinder Morgan is conducting drilling work related to its proposed Trans Mountain pipeline expansion.

More than 100 people were arrested, nearly all of whom faced civil contempt proceedings for violating a court injunction ordering them to keep away from two drilling sites.

The company admitted it provided incorrect GPS co-ordinates when it initially sought the court order. At one location, the co-ordinates were so inaccurate that the actual work site was entirely outside the area covered by the injunction.

Texas-based Kinder Morgan went to court Thursday asking that the injunction, which is set to expire on Dec. 1, be extended to Dec. 12.

Not only was the extension denied, but the judge, who had raised serious concerns about the GPS errors, ended the hearing by inviting Kinder Morgan's lawyer to drop the civil contempt proceedings. The company then applied to have the cases withdrawn and the judge granted the application.

Earlier in the day, Judge Austin Cullen suggested the GPS errors would raise reasonable doubt in any subsequent civil contempt proceeding.

"What's happened thus far is that apparently people have been arrested on the basis of an order that refers to some other piece of property," said Cullen, prompting laughs and jeers from the courtroom's crowded public gallery.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Yeah, burning those police cars is actually GOOD for the environment.
better than fracking and dilbit pipelines :)
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

"Back away and ask them about the hockey game".

It's funny because it's true.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

36Drew wrote:Sure - there's some nutjobs. But let's face facts. KM is proposing drilling through a wilderness preserve. The same type of wilderness preserve that Mission Creek Greenway or Knox Mountain Park would be. I think if somebody proposed disturbing your city's treasures against the will of the people, when that somebody already has another viable route, that you'd be a tad upset.

I would have a problem if someone wanted to build a pipeline over top of Knox Mountain. I would not however have a problem if someone wanted to start at the base on one side and horizontally drill thru to the other side. Doesn't damage squat on the mountain. Same goes for Burnaby Mountain. These protesters, and the media, have people believing Burnaby Mountain will be dug up and left with a pipeline right of way scar. It is simply not the case.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Once the Indians get a cheque for the amount they want, the "sacred" land will have a pipeline through it.

That's exactly what is going on in other areas of the province right now.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/industry-news/energy-and-resources/bc-aboriginal-group-eyes-enbridges-kitimat-terminal-for-lng-project/article21803843/

B.C. aboriginal group eyes Enbridge’s Kitimat terminal for LNG project

BRENT JANG

KITAMAAT VILLAGE, B.C. — The Globe and Mail

Published Wednesday, Nov. 26 2014, 7:16 PM EST

Last updated Thursday, Nov. 27 2014, 2:53 PM EST

An aboriginal group keen to export liquefied natural gas has its sights set on B.C. property slated for the Northern Gateway bitumen terminal, highlighting the troubles faced by oil pipeline plans.

The northern B.C. location for the planned Kitimat-area terminal would be an ideal venue for a native-led LNG project, according to the Haisla First Nation. The Haisla are devising LNG proposals against a backdrop of vocal opposition in British Columbia against Enbridge Inc.’s Northern Gateway and protests against Kinder Morgan Canada Inc.’s plans to nearly triple its Trans Mountain oil pipeline capacity from Edmonton to the Vancouver suburb of Burnaby.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

Kinder Morgan pulls equipment from #BurnabyMountain

In denying the company's request to extend the injunction to Dec. 12, the judge also ruled that all civil contempt charges against those arrested so far should be thrown out because of GPS errors in the injunction specifying the exact location of the no-go zone.

Judge Cullen invited a lawyer for Kinder Morgan to file an application to vacate the charges. Company lawyer William Kaplan made such an application, which Cullen granted, effectively throwing out all of the civil contempt charges.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

natives 1 km 0 hahaha
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

lakevixen wrote:natives 1 km 0 hahaha

There are and were a lot more than natives up there...
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.

Return to “B.C.”