Highway speeds under review

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Highway speeds under review

Post by Dizzy1 »

simnut wrote:Most who complain about left lane hogs are those that want to go faster.....in most cases faster than the speed limit.

It doesn't matter who's complaining. There have been study after study after study that have been posted in numerous threads on this topic that we've had that have shown designated lane discipline equals safer roads.
simnut wrote:THAT is illegal.

No one said it wasn't and hopefully cruising in the left lane for miles on end will soon also be illegal.
simnut wrote:As much as you can't figure out why I'm against that, I can't figure out why you are for it.

You can't figure out why we're for it because you refuse to understand that there are other factors other than speed on the roadway that are dangerous to the driving public. You are obsessed with this one act and are completely ignoring any and all other dynamics of driving.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

simnut wrote:
A scenario.........you are on a road in town....one lane going both ways. A vehicle coming towards to pulls into your lane to go around a bike ....forcing you to slow down. Happens all the time in this city........... Do you consider it common courtesy to brake for that person, or do you think that the person should have waited til you were past before he/she pulled around the bike? What right did that person have to impede you for their impatience? That person, to cross that single yellow line, may ONLY do it when clear and safe to do so.

What I mean....is it considered common courtesy to allow someone to do something illegal? Or is it actually defensive driving?

Here's another scenario for you. Driver A is cruising in the left lane, cruise control set at the speed limit. Driver B comes up behind him and wants to pass, but Driver A won't move over to the right lane. Driver B then starts to tailgate and tries to get Driver A's attention. While there is no doubt that Driver B is driving faster than they should, being a *bleep* and creating a hazardous situation. But where do you think Driver A's attention is now? It certainly isn't where it's supposed to be, on the road ahead and surrounding areas and traffic ... he's now focused on the car behind him. Driver B is starting to get frustrated as is Driver A ... their focus is no longer on driving but on each other ... which is dangerous.

Here's the kicker, BOTH driver's are contributing to the situation and BOTH drivers have the capability to diffuse the situation ... which ever driver does (either Driver B but slowing down or Driver A by letting him pass) is the better driver. It doesn't matter who created the situation, all that matters is who ends it.

And this is something you simply refuse to understand because all you focus on are the legalities of speeding.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

simnut wrote:............Yeah, BC tried the "0 Tolerance" thing with speeding back with the NDP during the 90s ... didn't work so well.

my5cents wrote:I don't recall this do you have anything on this?

That was my post actually. I don't know why, but when simnut quotes, he leaves the posters name out of the quotation.

Anyway, to answer your question. This was back in the photo radar days of the Harcourt Government. ICBC and the RCMP has all kinds of ads on TV and big billboards saying "We're over the limit on speeding - 0 tolerance month". I think it was more of a scare campaign than actual enforcement of people doing a hair over the limit.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

All you speed limit goodies. I would so love to follow you one day seeing how much your really practice what you preach.
Last edited by Dizzy1 on Mar 4th, 2015, 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

simnut wrote: Pull over and let them go! Part of defensive driving....as sooner or later....one of them will snap.

So why not then make a law and enforce that law reminding those drivers out there with out the same common sense?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Ken7 wrote:Keep your speed, it is their responsibility to change lanes safely and merge into traffic. If they are ahead of you at a safe distance, I break to give them the time and distance to merge. Other then that, it is not your responsibility to make them feel welcome!

Technically, in most parts of the world it is your responsibility to change lanes into the left lane (if safe to do so) to allow entering traffic to merge. Once the traffic is merged and it is safe to do so, you go back into the right lane.

I know, I know ... way to complicated and difficult a manouver for a BC Driver to process let alone execute.

From ICBC ...

Strategies: freeway courtesy
When you are driving in the right lane of a freeway, other
drivers may try to merge from an entrance lane. It’s not
always easy for them to find a safe gap. Use these pointers
to help them merge safely:
• pull over into the left lane (if it’s safe) to give them room
to merge onto the freeway
• adjust your speed to allow a large enough gap for them
to move safely into.

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/Do ... ivers4.pdf
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

driveangry wrote:If you are behind me you are going to fast. If you are in front of me you are going to slow. If you are going the same speed as me you are a fn idiot. :p

I like the other version better ...

"Anyone going slower than me is an *bleep*. Anyone going faster than me is a maniac."

;)
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

fluffy wrote:Well that makes two of us. Now if we can just whip the rest of these clowns into shape...

Can I make a suggestion?

Perhaps we can create a law and enforce this law by telling people this is what they should and need to be doing? Maybe even go real crazy and create this law to perhaps even reduce such a scenario from happening in the first place? :)
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

"my5cents" - I don't recall this do you have anything on this ?
Dizzy1 wrote:............Yeah, BC tried the "0 Tolerance" thing with speeding back with the NDP during the 90s ... didn't work so well........

That was my post actually. I don't know why, but when simnut quotes, he leaves the posters name out of the quotation.

Anyway, to answer your question. This was back in the photo radar days of the Harcourt Government. ICBC and the RCMP has all kinds of ads on TV and big billboards saying "We're over the limit on speeding - 0 tolerance month". I think it was more of a scare campaign than actual enforcement of people doing a hair over the limit.

With photo radar the tolerance has always been in the 10 KPH area. As you get closer to the City of Vancouver, depending on the street and circumstances the tolerance is as high as 15 KPH for non-photo speed enforcement.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

Dizzy1 wrote:It doesn't matter who's complaining. There have been study after study after study that have been posted in numerous threads on this topic that we've had that have shown designated lane discipline equals safer roads.

It does matter who is complaining. If there was no one wanting to go faster than the speed limit, the only complaints would be against slow moving vehicles (slower than the speed limit) hogging the left lane. My whole gist of what I am trying to say is simply that. You don't get the fact that I agree that you travel in the right lane until such time you need to pass a slower vehicle. Could you call someone doing 20kph over on the freeway between Abbatsford and Vancouver a left lane hog because they travel in the left lane because they would constantly be passing someone? Or would you say the left lane was there for them to go quicker?

You can't figure out why we're for it because you refuse to understand that there are other factors other than speed on the roadway that are dangerous to the driving public. You are obsessed with this one act and are completely ignoring any and all other dynamics of driving.

I am looking at it legally. I had an old trucker tell me once....if your load is safe, your truck is mechanically sound...and you do the speed limit...you NEVER have to keep an eye out for cops. Those doing 10-20+ over will always be looking out for cops, because they know they are speeding. I'll bet you never see a vehicle using the left lane to pass a cop (doing the speed limit) in the right lane. I know the dynamics of lane designation and courtesy and all the bull.......but that is there because of those that want to go faster.
Don't you just love "discussing" with a stubborn Dutchman?
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

Dizzy1 wrote:Here's another scenario for you. Driver A is cruising in the left lane, cruise control set at the speed limit. Driver B comes up behind him and wants to pass, but Driver A won't move over to the right lane. Driver B then starts to tailgate and tries to get Driver A's attention. While there is no doubt that Driver B is driving faster than they should, being a jerk and creating a hazardous situation. But where do you think Driver A's attention is now? It certainly isn't where it's supposed to be, on the road ahead and surrounding areas and traffic ... he's now focused on the car behind him. Driver B is starting to get frustrated as is Driver A ... their focus is no longer on driving but on each other ... which is dangerous.

Here's the kicker, BOTH driver's are contributing to the situation and BOTH drivers have the capability to diffuse the situation ... which ever driver does (either Driver B but slowing down or Driver A by letting him pass) is the better driver. It doesn't matter who created the situation, all that matters is who ends it.

Who created the situation? If the speeding driver wasn't speeding, there would be no issue. I agree, both have the opportunity to diffuse it....won't be the speeding driver because they already think the left lane is there for them to go faster.

And this is something you simply refuse to understand because all you focus on are the legalities of speeding.

Focused on the legalities of speeding. Shouldn't everyone be? Your scenario is based and caused by a driver wanting to speed...don't blame the law abiding driver. Driver A should be taking a defensive driving course though.....learn how to keep themselves out of the way of idiot drivers......diffusing the situation. You have actually proven the point that I have been trying to bring across. Why should law abiding drivers have to diffuse situations because of unlawful drivers?

Remember, I agree with traveling in the right lane. I also agree that those complaining about left lane hogs are those that want to go faster, which is illegal. I agree with the highway signs that say drive to the right so others can pass. I also don't believe the province is giving the green light to speed.

May I ask you a question? Why are you so focused on the legalities of lane designation and not speeding?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I think treating the 'keep right" issue and the speeding issue separately is the way to go. If everyone were to keep right except when passing (or in a few other legitimate instances like the merging example) then a lot of this discussion would be moot. It is possible to drive at the posted speed limit and be a left lane hog at the same time and that's where the problems come from. Just move into the right lane unless you're passing and everything will run smoother. Let the cops worry about the speeders, it's their job.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

The B.C. Association of Police Chiefs says people who drive in the passing lane are not a priority

"The only drivers we're interested in left-hand lanes are those who drive below the speed limit and impede traffic."

Although police chiefs support the legislation, keeping drivers safe is the association's top priorities with police chiefs wanting more focus on reducing accidents caused by drug-impaired driving and distracted driving.

Bravo!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/left-lane-drivers-not-a-priority-say-b-c-police-chiefs-1.2983991
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

fluffy wrote:I think treating the 'keep right" issue and the speeding issue separately is the way to go. If everyone were to keep right except when passing (or in a few other legitimate instances like the merging example) then a lot of this discussion would be moot. It is possible to drive at the posted speed limit and be a left lane hog at the same time and that's where the problems come from. Just move into the right lane unless you're passing and everything will run smoother. Let the cops worry about the speeders, it's their job.

I fully agree. Many on here think that I want to play Mr. Policeman....be one of those lane hogs. Far from it. I have a blemish free 40 year driving record (26 of that commercially) partly due to defensive driving and keeping myself out of trouble. Yes, that includes staying in the right lane whenever possible. Nothing gives me more pleasure than to be in the right lane , doing the speed limit and getting passed by someone going over...........then go around a corner and see that vehicle pulled over for speeding. In a perfect world you COULD drive the speed limit in the left lane and not be a left lane hog, because there would be no one you would be holding up...as all are doing the speed limit. But, we don't live in a perfect world. In this thread, I discuss on the legal aspect of the situation.....and love to argu.....errrrr....discuss.
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

simnut wrote: I fully agree. Many on here think that I want to play Mr. Policeman....be one of those lane hogs. Far from it. I have a blemish free 40 year driving record (26 of that commercially) partly due to defensive driving and keeping myself out of trouble. Yes, that includes staying in the right lane whenever possible. Nothing gives me more pleasure than to be in the right lane , doing the speed limit and getting passed by someone going over...........then go around a corner and see that vehicle pulled over for speeding. In a perfect world you COULD drive the speed limit in the left lane and not be a left lane hog, because there would be no one you would be holding up...as all are doing the speed limit. But, we don't live in a perfect world. In this thread, I discuss on the legal aspect of the situation.....and love to argu.....errrrr....discuss.

But you already proved that a driver could be in the left lane, thinking they are doing the speed limit and be 10% under.

If I come up on someone in the left lane who are doing you're 10% under the limit, and I am doing the limit, can't I be *bleep* off at them?

Return to “B.C.”