ICBC unveils new plates

60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Re: ICBC unveils new plates

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

In Germany , you can tell what town they were issued in by the prefix.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

I sure like the good old days when there was less of a tax base, there weren't extra taxes on everything, and yet camping in provincial parks was free, as well as the firewood. Too bad the government gouges us so much now that they feel gouging more is just appropriate.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

zzontar wrote:I sure like the good old days when there was less of a tax base, there weren't extra taxes on everything, and yet camping in provincial parks was free, as well as the firewood. Too bad the government gouges us so much now that they feel gouging more is just appropriate.

In the good old days health care and education didn't eat up 80% of the provincial budget. It's the price you pay for "free" health care.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
madmudder
Board Meister

Post by madmudder »

In the good old days health care and education didn't eat up 80% of the provincial budget. It's the price you pay for "free" health care.
\

The BC Liberal Donors are eating up a good portion of the provincial budget.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:I saw a car coming toward me a few weeks back, with a euro sized plate up front that said British Columbia across the top.
Cant recall the color or whether there were numbers, and I did not get to see what was on the back..hmmmm
What is up with that. ? Handmade. One off maybe..

$109 and a seizure for wrong number plate is what that was.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

The B.C. Olympic plates have too much happening and harder to read. Basic B.C. plate is legible but yes.......bland as they get. B.C.'s personalized plates are very cool and legible. When you see other province's plates around here, the one that stands out to me is Manitoba's.........it tells a story and is legible.......very cool also.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I see two neighbours are still using Alberta plates, and they've lived in BC for years. I guess they think BC plates are so ugly, they'd be willing to break the law to beautify their vehicles.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Glacier wrote:I see two neighbours are still using Alberta plates, and they've lived in BC for years. I guess they think BC plates are so ugly, they'd be willing to break the law to beautify their vehicles.

They also get another perk: No toll bills ever sent to them for crossing our BC bridges. Imagine how much moolah the Govt could collect if they could share plate info across provinces.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

pentona wrote:They also get another perk: No toll bills ever sent to them for crossing our BC bridges. Imagine how much moolah the Govt could collect if they could share plate info across provinces.

Well speaking of saving money... think of all the money the insurance companies will save when these mis-insured vehicles are involved in a liable accident.
Last edited by my5cents on Jan 21st, 2017, 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

my5cents wrote:Well speaking of saving money... think of all the money the insurance companies will save when these mis-insured vehicles are involved in a liable accidents.

No, these folks are not stupid. They use legitimate Alberta addresses of a relative, who will vouch for them that their main residence is in Alberta; should they get questioned. Why pay BC rates if the Provinces are not smart enough to be able to share license info across Provincial boundaries.

Some actually live there (when they are working) but are presently un-employed and back here staying with relatives in BC.

I personally would not pay the Province $50 for the new plates and another $40 each year. Not in these economic times.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

pentona wrote:
my5cents wrote:Well speaking of saving money... think of all the money the insurance companies will save when these mis-insured vehicles are involved in a liable accidents.

No, these folks are not stupid. They use legitimate Alberta addresses of a relative, who will vouch for them that their main residence is in Alberta; should they get questioned. Why pay BC rates if the Provinces are not smart enough to be able to share license info across Provincial boundaries.

Some actually live there (when they are working) but are presently un-employed and back here staying with relatives in BC.

I personally would not pay the Province $50 for the new plates and another $40 each year. Not in these economic times.

And what you've just said is what the insurance companies rely on. Underestimating an insurance investigation.

Cell phones, home owner grants, credit card purchases to name just a few.

We're not even talking about the powers that police would have, we're talking about civil court. Exams for discovery full disclosure,, not "you're not obliged to say anything". We're talking "you will cooperate fully or you are not covered".

Trust me, you don't want to mess with insurance.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

KL3-Something wrote:
60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:I saw a car coming toward me a few weeks back, with a euro sized plate up front that said British Columbia across the top.
Cant recall the color or whether there were numbers, and I did not get to see what was on the back..hmmmm

$109 and a seizure for wrong number plate is what that was.

So what is the fine for making your own plate using your plate number same as the back ?

Man I wish i had a better look, and saw the back of the car.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

my5cents wrote:
pentona wrote:They also get another perk: No toll bills ever sent to them for crossing our BC bridges. Imagine how much moolah the Govt could collect if they could share plate info across provinces.

Well speaking of saving money... think of all the money the insurance companies will save when these mis-insured vehicles are involved in a liable accident.

Smart people never get into car accidents. Every single person I've ever known that got into a car accident was either under the age of 25 or a complete idiot.

Even if my neighbour is not smart, there are lots of ways to fool the investigator. You claim that the truck is your son's truck and you borrowed it to move stuff to Alberta for him.
- Douglas Murray
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Glacier wrote:Smart people never get into car accidents. Every single person I've ever known that got into a car accident was either under the age of 25 or a complete idiot.

Even if my neighbour is not smart, there are lots of ways to fool the investigator. You claim that the truck is your son's truck and you borrowed it to move stuff to Alberta for him.

I don't think it's a good idea to encourage readers of a public forum that it's easy to defraud insurance companies. Because it's too late when you find out after the fact that Glacier on Castanet was wrong.

Playing "games" with insurance is NOT a good idea. It can get VERY expensive.

As for motivation.... let's say you get pulled over with AB plates, you tender a BC DL and you live here, the vehicle is registered to your son in Alberta (your scenario).

The cop is "investigating" a two bit ticket, if he doesn't write you up he'll write the next vehicle he pulls over, no big deal. He has no time, no resources, he can only spend a few minutes with you. You got away with it.

That's where so many go wrong, the ticket is nothing, that isn't the biggie.......

Now, you are on your way back from Vancouver on the Coquihalla and the roads are real bad, and your "son's" truck slides off the roadway, you of course have "borrowed it". The truck is totalled all $50,000 worth.

Yes, I know you aren't under 25 and you are not a complete idiot so this scenario is impossible.

The police attend and talk to you about who owns the vehicle, and you give the same BS, they may or may not write you a ticket for something, nothing world shaking.

But you, er... excuse me your son now has a totaled truck.

You place your claim with "your son's" insurance company in AB. Maybe you even call your son and he advises the insurance company.

You live here, they hire an independent adjuster in BC to interview you. They take a written or recorded statement... "I borrowed my son's 2014 GM pickup to move..... and I was on my way back from dropping it off ..... in Vancouver." "I've had possession of the truck for only two weeks".

Now insurance is based on "utmost good faith", means you lie, you cry. If the insured made a false statement in registering or insuring the vehicle all claims are null and void, if an insured made a false statement in relation to a claim, null and void.

So, who has the loan on the truck, your son ? Your son is interviewed, what was he driving while you had the loan of his truck. When's the last time he drove the truck. Receipts for work on the truck.

The selling dealership, who negotiated the purchase of the vehicle ?

A check with GMC will show what dealership has done any warrantee work.

When discrepancies pop up the handling company adjuster, now calls his fraud department. That guy is likely a former cop, and yes, he does have the time.

Unlike the cop that pulled you over and let you go when you said the truck was borrowed from your son, this guy has to OK a payment of $50,000 if he doesn't prove the truck is really yours, unlike the cop the pulled you over.

They get you on the small stuff, trust me.

So then they deny the claim. What are your options ? You have to sue the insurance company.

Unlike the two bit ticket that you avoided, where the crown has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you didn't register the vehicle properly, in civil court the outcome is based on "degree of probability"

Completely different onus.

Worth saving a few bucks ?
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

I also saw this and thought it looked cool. If I remember correctly it shared the design of our current plates as closely as possible using the different size... so much so that I thought it was a new plate offered by ICBC.

Return to “B.C.”