Changes to B.C.’s Emergency Program Act

Re: Changes to B.C.’s Emergency Program Act

Postby Glacier » Nov 14th, 2017, 11:18 am

Thank God they were First Nations, and thus it wasn't politically correct for the RCMP to forcibly remove them.

I visited that fire this summer, and am quite familiar with the geography. The Chilcotin Chief is indeed correct that his people saved their community, BUT they also had luck on their side as well. This is a semi-arid valley, so the reservation is not surrounded by trees. The trees grow up on the hill, but around all the houses is just grassland. Meanwhile, next door at Hanceville (the white community), there are a lot more trees, and the fire came ripping through there so fast that people barely had time to leave as the Douglas fir forest went up in smoke along with numerous houses, including the only restaurant in town.

The wind, heat, and low humidity pushed the most extreme fire from the north to the south across the Chilcotin River, which is to the south of the reservation. By the time it had moved west to the Anaham Reserve, it was not moving as fast, and thus easier to fight. At that point it was only rank 3 fire activity. Still, without the reserve's resources, the grass would have been set on fire, and potentially the houses as well.

Drip_Torch likes this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 7713 posts

Postby Drip_Torch » Nov 14th, 2017, 12:03 pm

Glacier wrote:Thank God they were First Nations, and thus it wasn't politically correct for the RCMP to forcibly remove them.

I would suggest there was also an element of just plain incorrect, and things were more than simply not "politically correct".

First Nations have their own system of governance and are accountable to their own people. They have a very deep connection with their land, a history and a culture of firekeeping, local knowledge, and they also have a very good talent pool to pull on through FNESS.

I have no doubt that FNESS would have been overwhelmed this summer, but I also have no doubt they also have the network to get them to the expertise required to make their own decisions and assessments. Our EMBC role should be one of advisory,information sharing and support. Their local government is in the best position to make the best decisions.

Bottom line, it worked out and that's a good thing. Unfortunately, the same can not be said for Boston Flats and parts of Ashcroft, where similar conditions exist, and all the kings horses and all the kings men...
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Drip_Torch
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 387 posts

Postby Catsumi » Nov 14th, 2017, 5:55 pm

DripTorch. To view "declare fireban" thread go to viewforum.php?f=78
I can and WILL spray mercaptans all over your ill-considered & vacuous statements.
Don't bring peashooters to a gunfight.
Catsumi
Board Meister

Liked in: 314 posts

Previous

Return to B.C.