B.C. school trustee vows to stay

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

B.C. school trustee vows to stay

Post by oneh2obabe »

CHILLIWACK, B.C.—A school board trustee in British Columbia is vowing to stay in his job, despite calls that he resign over controversial remarks he made about LGBTQ issues.

Barry Neufeld says in a statement that he “must” remain on the Chilliwack Board of Education to protect “impressionable children.”

The statement comes after the board passed a motion on Thursday asking him to resign, saying he has publicly made statements expressing “strong opposition” to the expansion of the B.C. Human Rights Code to include sexual orientation and gender identity, as well as curriculum initiatives on the same subjects.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/201 ... marks.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Re: B.C. school trustee vows to stay

Post by TreeGuy »

"Neufeld said he does take issue with educators teaching that gender is fluid, that there are more than two genders and that gender is not based in biology."

You can't trust a kid to make proper meal choices but hey, lets encourage them to make decisions about which gender they would like to be or not be at any given moment.

Soon we will have a genderless society, what should our new society be called? How about Sodam and Gomorrah.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Think the guy would make up his mind which statement he's going with. Typical back-pedalling when confronted for saying something.

In his latest statement, released on Friday, the trustee said he wants all students to receive an “excellent education regardless of their sexual orientation, gender identity, race, religion or other group identity.”
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

"Neufeld said he does take issue with educators teaching that gender is fluid, that there are more than two genders and that gender is not based in biology."

I find it hard not to side with Mr. Neufeld in regards to this statement. School years are formative years and full of social pressure not to mention the turmoil that sometimes accompanies puberty. Do we really know enough about gender identity to teach that it is "fluid", or that there are more than two genders? I can't help but feel that when it comes to sexuality we might be putting the right to personal choice into the hands of people (children) as yet intellectually and socially unprepared to make that choice, that we just don't have the information to think this through responsibly.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

fluffy wrote:"Neufeld said he does take issue with educators teaching that gender is fluid, that there are more than two genders and that gender is not based in biology."

I find it hard not to side with Mr. Neufeld in regards to this statement. School years are formative years and full of social pressure not to mention the turmoil that sometimes accompanies puberty. Do we really know enough about gender identity to teach that it is "fluid", or that there are more than two genders? I can't help but feel that when it comes to sexuality we might be putting the right to personal choice into the hands of people (children) as yet intellectually and socially unprepared to make that choice, that we just don't have the information to think this through responsibly.

I’d suggest that you take time to sit down and discuss this issue with members of the LBGTQ community. Any that I’ve ever met knew by the time their 4 or 5 years old what they identified as, you can’t help being born gay any more than you can help being born with brown eyes.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

fluffy wrote:"Neufeld said he does take issue with educators teaching that gender is fluid, that there are more than two genders and that gender is not based in biology."

Hurtlander wrote:I’d suggest that you take time to sit down and discuss this issue with members of the LBGTQ community. Any that I’ve ever met knew by the time their 4 or 5 years old what they identified as, you can’t help being born gay any more than you can help being born with brown eyes.

This isn’t about being gay. This is about gender. A gay man still recognizes he is a man.

Last edited by TreeGuy on Jan 21st, 2018, 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Hurtlander wrote:I’d suggest that you take time to sit down and discuss this issue with members of the LBGTQ community. Any that I’ve ever met knew by the time their 4 or 5 years old what they identified as, you can’t help being born gay any more than you can help being born with brown eyes.

With respect, I have plenty of friends of all gender persuasions, and many of them talk of the confusion of their younger years as they searched for their place in the world. There is also no shortage of those who chose a different path later in life. I simply don’t believe that the situation is so black and white that everyone knows all the facts before they even enter the school system.

The point I am trying to make is that I, and Mr. Neufeld too I think, doubt that the school system currently has the resources to give children the tools to make these decisions responsibly as in a lot of cases our understanding of the science involved is still limited. I also agree with him that all children are entitled to a quality education regardless of race, gender, etc. The problem most urgent is prejudice and the lasting harm that can do.

I think that human sexuality could be studied in school, like religion or politics, but we should stop short of encouraging any particular direction.

Edited to add: Has Mr. Neufeld broken any laws here? Has he been openly prejudicial or anything else beyond “controversial” ? I’m willing to bet that there are plenty of parents in that school district who might share his views on what belongs in the school system and what doesn’t. Are their opinions suddenly worthless?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

fluffy wrote:With respect, I have plenty of friends of all gender persuasions, and many of them talk of the confusion of their younger years as they searched for their place in the world. There is also no shortage of those who chose a different path later in life. I simply don’t believe that the situation is so black and white that everyone knows all the facts before they even enter the school system.

The point I am trying to make is that I, and Mr. Neufeld too I think, doubt that the school system currently has the resources to give children the tools to make these decisions responsibly as in a lot of cases our understanding of the science involved is still limited. I also agree with him that all children are entitled to a quality education regardless of race, gender, etc. The problem most urgent is prejudice and the lasting harm that can do.

I think that human sexuality could be studied in school, like religion or politics, but we should stop short of encouraging any particular direction.

Edited to add: Has Mr. Neufeld broken any laws here? Has he been openly prejudicial or anything else beyond “controversial” ? I’m willing to bet that there are plenty of parents in that school district who might share his views on what belongs in the school system and what doesn’t. Are their opinions suddenly worthless?

I can’t help but think that Barry Neufeld’s most recent comments are nothing but back peddling to save his own hind end..
Consider that he originally said this https://www.agassizharrisonobserver.com ... -comments/ he sounds as though he definitely has zero tolerance for any non-heterosexual behaviour..he has also made statements in the past that he doesn’t support same sex couples raising children.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

fluffy wrote:With respect, I have plenty of friends of all gender persuasions, and many of them talk of the confusion of their younger years as they searched for their place in the world. There is also no shortage of those who chose a different path later in life. I simply don’t believe that the situation is so black and white that everyone knows all the facts before they even enter the school system.

Hurtlander wrote:I can’t help but think that Barry Neufeld’s most recent comments are nothing but back peddling to save his own hind end..
Consider that he originally said this https://www.agassizharrisonobserver.com ... -comments/ he sounds as though he definitely has zero tolerance for any non-heterosexual behaviour..he has also made statements in the past that he doesn’t support same sex couples raising children.

Amoung the most notable critics was Morgane Oger, a trans woman who ran for an NDP seat in the last provincial election.

“You ought to be ashamed of yourself,” she scolded. “Given your position in leadership, you should know better than to quote a widely discredited pseudo-science source in order to publish hateful material against a minority group. At the very least, consult the credible sources that are widely available to you. The UBC faculty of Nursing has done excellent work on anti-trans bigotry.”

She added that there are laws to protect people from the very type of comments he posted, including sections 7(a) and 7(b) of the BC Human Rights Code.

Gee and I thought we had freedom of speech.

I don’t think he is back peddling at all.

He disagrees with teaching this new age gender nonsense but still believes those that are of a different race or gender are entitled to a quality education.

This man is being persecuted for his beliefs. And good on him to take a stand.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

This all seems to be yet another example of 'political correctness' run amuk...!

No doubt, Justin Trudeau will rise in the house and give a heart-felt apology to all the hundreds or thousands of students who have had to blunder their way through the BC school system, and life afterwards, bereft of this vitally important course of instruction.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

I understand why some might support Neufeld, as to many the current attitudes towards sex and sexuality are different to their long term ingrained beliefs and that just feels wrong to many.

It is important to realise that Neufeld is not being prevented from stating his opinion. But whenever we do so, we invite the consequences of such a statement upon us. The consequences of his actions are that many if not most of the parents for whose children he is supposed to be getting the best possible education, will strongly disagree with his position and attitudes.

While his views are somewhat common, and understandable, things have moved on from when they were formed. It wasn't uncommon for people to hold very racist opinions then too. Things are moving forward and it is unlikely that we will see some halting of progress (for want of a better term) in that way. Those kids who are influenced by his opinions now will be handicapped the same way that those who espouse racist sentiment today find themselves somewhat ostracised from society. Even if you agree with him, it is not in the interests of the children for their values to be shaped by someone who is out of touch with modern attitudes.

A few questions for those who would defend Barry Neufeld:
Would you support him staying on if he was espousing segregation or anti-Semitism?
If not, are you not saying that there are some beliefs and comments which are incompatible with being a school trustee?
Since his comments are contrary to the current curriculum, express views widely believed to be discriminatory and antiquated, how is it more appropriate for him to stay on as a trustee than say someone who believes in racial segregation?

I think it is time for him to step aside, bow out and take pride in the good work he has done, and accept that he no longer represents the set of views which will best support the students in their lives ahead.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

When I see comments equating a trustee's stance on this curriculum to antisemitism and segregation policy, I wonder how many people with an opinion on this actually know what this curriculum involves. Exactly what is to be taught, at what ages, and by whom.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

rustled wrote:When I see comments equating a trustee's stance on this curriculum to antisemitism and segregation policy, I wonder how many people with an opinion on this actually know what this curriculum involves. Exactly what is to be taught, at what ages, and by whom.

I wasn't actually equating the two, just pointing out that antiquated ideas are a handicap for our children in their future lives.

Also, I actually have a fairly good idea as to what is taught, by whom and when since I have some professional involvement in schooling. I believe that SOGI is being targeted at all of K-12. Gender identity is taught at Grades 2 and 3, IIRC.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Hurtlander wrote:Consider that he originally said this https://www.agassizharrisonobserver.com ... -comments/

The thing that jumped off the page for me in that article was the reference to the College of Pedeatricians coming out against programs like the one Mr. Neufeld is opposing. That speaks volumes to the thought that the science is still undecided, and the program in question has not been adequately researched.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

How about scrap the gender identity classes.. it's
pretty easy.

There are male and female bodies, all else about it is in the mind of how
one wants to use it.

How about bring back something actually useful, like Drivers Ed !

I support most of his view, and truly believe he has the students, all students,
best welfare in mind.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Return to “B.C.”