Record gas prices on way

Because_They_Lie
Banned

Record gas prices on way

Post by Because_They_Lie »

Record gas prices on way

Drivers in British Columbia should brace for record high gasoline prices this summer, and the financial pain has the potential to spread across the country, says a petroleum industry analyst.

Dan McTeague of GasBuddy predicts that beginning in April and continuing to September, gasoline prices across much of B.C.'s South Coast will hover around $1.60 a litre.

He blames the hike on high demand and chronically short supply, made even worse by Friday's announcement that the Olympic pipeline that distributes gasoline throughout Washington and Oregon will be taken off-line for four or five days of maintenance.

Prices across Vancouver hit about $1.55 over the weekend, while Victoria remained around $1.40, but McTeague warns southern Vancouver Island could see an eight-cent-a-litre leap as the ripple from short supplies and climbing local taxes spreads.

The high for a litre of gasoline in Metro Vancouver was set on June 22, 2014, when the price was just under $1.56.

McTeague said some analysts fear higher prices will spread east.

"People are shaking their heads," he said. "It's become quite the story, with some national overtones."

McTeague said other parts of the country are not looking at the same prices for gas, particularly because of B.C.'s taxes on gas.

"It's not quite the same thing, you are not dealing with 50-cent-a-litre taxes and you are not dealing with a shortage in the same way Vancouver is experiencing," he said. "But it does suggest, I think, the likelihood of breaking the all-time record in Vancouver will likely happen this week."

In other parts of the country on Monday, the average price for gas was just under $1.14 a litre in Edmonton, about $1.25 in Toronto and around $1.12 in Halifax.

Kinder Morgan's Trans Mountain pipeline supplies about 50 per cent of the gasoline for B.C.'s south coast, but McTeague says it is already congested and can't meet the region's demand.

The expected lengthy maintenance shutdown of the Parkland refinery, which McTeague said carries 25 per cent of the Vancouver-area's gasoline, has further crimped supply, while the low dollar adds to the expense of topping up from Washington state refineries.

"By any stretch or by any measure, the price you are paying in Vancouver is, for most people, prohibitive," said McTeague.

Los Angeles is the other city in North America where gas prices are unusually high, selling at $3.50 a gallon. But McTeague said even when the exchange rate and other factors are calculated, B.C. drivers would pay about $5.00 for a gallon.
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/221495 ... ces-on-way

This will never end.

Why do we sit back and accept this theft?

What can we do as The consumer of this product to ensure than we are not being abused and exploited by this multitrillion dollar industry?

We see these headlines each year and each year we do nothing but complain, what action can be taken that will show that we are done being toyed with? or are we?

I do not have the answers, so please no attacking me for the question.

I see the failure of the masses as one of never agreeing and never coming together as a cohesive group that can effect change

Manufactured effectively through social engineering and "fake news".

So we remain slaves to those with the money, media power and the say.

We allow ourselves to be stolen from, used, exploited and abused.

This country wants an expanded pipeline, yet this province pays the most for its gasoline.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Record gas prices on way

Post by Glacier »

ben.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Because_They_Lie wrote: Kinder Morgan's Trans Mountain pipeline supplies about 50 per cent of the gasoline for B.C.'s south coast, but McTeague says it is already congested and can't meet the region's demand.

I got an idea! Expand the capacity for supply from Kinder Morgan's Trans Mountain pipeline.

:135: oh, wait ...
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

The article reads 50 cents a litre in taxes here. Nice, but hey....smell that fresh clean air. :-X
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
Beaux56

Post by Beaux56 »

I wonder if the fact that nobody outside of BC really cares about sky rocketing gas prices in the lower mainland has anything to do with the opposition to the proposed pipeline. Probably not... then again... maybe.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Today's rack price at each of BC terminals:
Prince George .732
Kamloops .790
Vancouver .928
Nanaimo .944
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Today's rack price at each of BC terminals:
Prince George .732
Kamloops .790
Vancouver .928
Nanaimo .944

Most expensive terminals (Rack price) in other regions of Canada:
Eastern Canada is Charlottetown .698
Central Canada is Sault Ste Marie .800
Prairies is Winnipeg .723
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
butthead

Post by butthead »

sounds like a little fraud and racketeering on the ptb if they already know what the gas prices will be months away.
maybe that why the adopted prepay at the pumps.
always plotting and planing.
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

Remember when the price of a barrel of oil was the reason? 60 bucks a barrel now the gas is priced as if it was 120 dollars a barrel.

Don't believe me? Average price for a barrel in 2007 was 103 dollars a barrel, and the pump price was 1.31/L.

Now we say "if a pipeline shuts down for a few days it means all summer the rates will be nuts"
butthead

Post by butthead »

It must be a test to see how really dumb we are. with these lame what ever it is they tell us reasons for the price increase.
casey60
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by casey60 »

Not sure if McTeague is a spokes person for big oil? Must be.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

gaspricesrack.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Snowbound

Post by Snowbound »

Chyren wrote:Remember when the price of a barrel of oil was the reason? 60 bucks a barrel now the gas is priced as if it was 120 dollars a barrel.

Don't believe me? Average price for a barrel in 2007 was 103 dollars a barrel, and the pump price was 1.31/L.

Now we say "if a pipeline shuts down for a few days it means all summer the rates will be nuts"

It's almost like a whole bunch of new taxes have been added to the price of fuel since 2007.......
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Looking at all the terminals across Canada, there are only 2 which are above .81 cent.
Vancouver .921
Nanaimo .937 (this one supplies the Island)

Cheapest terminal today is Halifax at .678

Added later: Edmonton is at .694
Last edited by GordonH on Mar 20th, 2018, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

GordonH wrote:Looking at all the terminals across Canada, there are only 2 which are above .81 cent.
Vancouver .921
Nanaimo .937

Cheapest terminal today is Halifax at .678

Yup, even when you account for the MUCH higher costs to ship gas to Nunavut and Whitehorse, you're paying WAY more for gas in Vancouver!

gaspricebreakdown.png
- Douglas Murray

Return to “B.C.”