Record gas prices on way

Drip_Torch
Guru

Re: Record gas prices on way

Post by Drip_Torch »

Hurtlander wrote:Meanwhile Prince George gas price is approximately 1.19 https://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPrices/Brit ... e%20GeorgeThis is undoubtedly possible due to the fact that PG’s small refinery which is supplied with crude oil pipelined down from Taylor BC, is able to fulfill the demand for refined fuel in that region....We too could have cheaper gas if we had enough pipeline capacity to supply the Burnaby refinery with a greater volume of crude oil

Interesting theory, but does it hold out to a little math? Prince George has a refinery capacity of 11,000 bbl/day and you claim that's able to meet the needs of approximately 75,000 people. I don't know - maybe it is? Parkland has a capacity of 55,000 bbl/day and I've never heard any suggestion that they were unable to secure those barrels from the pipeline. The last shareholder report I looked at stated the refinery was running in the 90+% capacity range.

The population of greater Vancouver is 2,463,431. So, 32x the population base isn't being adequately supplied by 5x the refinery capacity. Sure, I can believe that.

Hurtlander wrote:...or enough extra pipeline capacity to send refined fuel from Edmonton to the tank farm in Kamloops......But some folks are against building more pipeline capacity. The current trans mountain pipeline was built to meet the demand for oil in 1956..It costs a lot more money to move all that extra oil by rail..

Okay, but the current shippers that have committed to the extra pipeline space don't sell gas, or diesel - they sell dilbit and haven't attempted to hide the fact they intend to ship to china. KM has been quite clearly stating the pipeline is to access "new markets" Vancouver is an old market, in fact, the market the pipeline was built for.

Fun fact, during the Board of Transport Commissioners application hearing that approved the original pipeline there were five parties represented.

1 Trans Mountain - lucrative and make best use of Alberta's oil, Solve a geographical problem - Alberta's landlocked, integrate Alberta oil with the rich markets of the Pacific Northwest and help those areas realize their full economic potential, Supplying oil to Vancouver area refineries would benefit BC... and finally, Trans Mountain argued Vancouver's dependence on foreign oil leaves them vulnerable and with a trade deficit. (Oil famines common during the 1930's and 1940's)

2. Dominion of Canada - Didn't show up at the hearing, but did send a message in support and stated it was in the national interest.

3 The defence department - they were worried about the Russians.

4 Alberta - "It is of great importance to the future development of the oil industry that additional outlets and markets be found for Alberta" In other words, and these were the words they used, it "was in the best interests of the national economy and of Canada"

5 BC Similarly endorsed all the parties above, and asked that the pipeline be approved immediately.

One year later, the board approved the spur line into Washington State, prompting the Globe and Mail headline, "Liberal Charges BC Doublecross by Pipeline Firm. (March 14, 1953)

Yes, it costs money to transport oil by rail, but if you look at Kinder Morgan Canada's 30% interest in KMI holdings, you'll see they've invested a lot of money in terminals to move oil by rail. That's not likely to change anytime soon. It's also been costing money for years to buy gas or diesel products that arrive in Vancouver by pipeline. NEB authorized a special tariff to help fund the project about 4, maybe 5 years ago.

Bottom line, the new pipeline has been costing us money for years. Isn't going to increase refinery capacity in BC. Is mainly to export the most expensive oil energy source imaginable, for the cheapest price on the market. Is going to cost us all even more money when the new tariffs get approved to cover the cost of the pipeline. And, get this, by tankering this oil 7000+ kms across the ocean, we'll be saving the planet and doing wonderful things for our environment - because the carbon tax will become a national carbon pricing plan and not something only us BC folks get to enjoy.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
spooker

Re: Gas Price Increase

Post by spooker »

Snarf wrote:It will never happen. Gasoline will be $2 a liter soon and we will still fill our tanks because we have no choice....

We have a choice ... but it's not "convenient" ... to reduce our usage would make us figure out real priorities ... but we have to plan better ...

rookie314 wrote:The only thing that would work is don't buy it.

We can literally use our feet to solve our problems ...

My tank cost over $100 to fill when gas was cheap ... thankfully I don't worry too much since I only drive enough to have to fill up at most once a month ... every two months in good weather ...

When we perceive our "dependence" we put ourselves at someone else's mercy ... and then we get angry when we get railroaded ... we have to take responsibility for our societal choices ...
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

GordonH wrote:

Pricing is as follows:
The set Rack price + taxes + amount to station owner/manger = pump price

Are you sure there isn't a shipping cost added in there also or are you saying it is added into a different rack price at every location.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

some of us dont have a choice and it has nothing to do with convenience, some of us dont live close enough to transit or work to pedal a bike, some are at an age that pedaling or walking just wont happen, some of us such as myself simply cant because pedaling up hills with the 15 thousand pounds of tools and equipment in a trailer would be tough, so you see despite what your fantasy world would have you believe its not quite that simple
deedub
Fledgling

Post by deedub »

We are paying $ 5.55 Cdn. per U.S. gallon . Just across the border in Oroville , they pay $ 2.90 Cdn. per U.S. gallon .
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

GordonH wrote:
Pricing is as follows:
The set Rack price + taxes + amount to station owner/manger = pump price

Maybe we ought to be angry at whoever sets the rack price then? How much profit are they making?
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

deedub wrote:We are paying $ 5.55 Cdn. per U.S. gallon . Just across the border in Oroville , they pay $ 2.90 Cdn. per U.S. gallon .

Yep its all tax. Blame the NDP and the federal Liberals
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
squash junky
Fledgling

Post by squash junky »

atenbacon wrote:
If you hate paying more for a service that is no better than any other I suggest you do the same and boycott that one station brand.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... es-jumping

I was thinking about that last night and thought ban 1 brand for a week and switch, but how do you organize that or get people to join?
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

The NDP will soon be going door to door offering free skateboards. If you refuse, you will be forced to wear a star on your shoulder. After that, you will be rounded up as part of the ultimate green solution.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

squash junky wrote:
atenbacon wrote:
If you hate paying more for a service that is no better than any other I suggest you do the same and boycott that one station brand.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... es-jumping

I was thinking about that last night and thought ban 1 brand for a week and switch, but how do you organize that or get people to join?

1) Choose the brand. Let’s say... ESSO to be banned until the end of May, or until prices drop.
2) Spread the word. Tell your friends. Not everyone is on this site.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
squash junky
Fledgling

Post by squash junky »

Jlabute wrote:1) Choose the brand. Let’s say... ESSO to be banned until the end of May, or until prices drop.
2) Spread the word

Just copy the picture or download and forward it to your friends by email BC wide or even Canada wide:
Attachments
Schermafbeelding 2018-04-25 om 08.16.18 .png
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Felt like I won the lottery last night when the car was on fumes and the station before my regular pit stop was still at 132.9.
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

I paid 1.239 for gas yesterday in Vernon. Phew!!! :biggrin:
spooker

Post by spooker »

LTD wrote:some of us dont have a choice and it has nothing to do with convenience, some of us dont live close enough to transit or work to pedal a bike, some are at an age that pedaling or walking just wont happen, some of us such as myself simply cant because pedaling up hills with the 15 thousand pounds of tools and equipment in a trailer would be tough, so you see despite what your fantasy world would have you believe its not quite that simple

As has been explained before ... you've already qualified that you don't fit the demographic who is open to alternatives, that's fine ... but for people who might be able to make a different choice it needs to be pointed out ... just met a guy yesterday who works downtown, lives downtown, yet he just purchased a second car on the weekend ... I saw him start to question himself ...

Either we find a solution to our problem (typical male response to everything eh?) or we ignore it and deal with more important things ... gas prices will rise, will our ire rise in response as we flap our mouth holes? or will we actually figure out a way to solve fuel companies being able to demand the price they want because they know we haven't left ourselves a choice?
merle2727

Post by merle2727 »

Funny how a few years ago a barrel of oil was $140 with the price/litre around $1.40. Now a barrel is still under $70/barrel but the price /litre is even higher, total BS. Ever notice that there is never any mention of what can be done to alleviate this rape of our wallets from any level of Government, local, provincial, or federal? BC definitely stands for BRING CASH, no wonder out of province visitor levels will continue to suffer with due to the arrogance of Big Oil companies & the their government bed partners.

Return to “B.C.”