David Shearing

Blossom2
Fledgling

David Shearing

Post by Blossom2 »

Tomorrow is the big day to find out if he gets parole- I wish there was more I could of done than just sign the petition to keep him in. If he gets parole so help me I will be embassed to be a Canadian :skyisfalling:
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Re: David Shearing

Post by AlanH »

It took me almost forever (three links, and 12 seconds) to find out who this was, so for the benefit of those that don't know who the guy is, I'll post a link, so you don't think the thread was about a dentist that belonged to the Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columb ... arole.html
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

oh HIM! yeah, he should NEVER be let out.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Why shouldn't he get out? He was sentenced to "life' (Canada style), and has served his time. Now someone wants to change the rules?

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

Nabcom wrote:Why shouldn't he get out? He was sentenced to "life' (Canada style), and has served his time. Now someone wants to change the rules?

Nab

He is eligible for parole, it does not mean that he has served his life sentence, his release will be dependent on the decision made by the parole board, based on public statements made by others, and by himself. I don't think he should get out, but then again, I'm all for the death penalty.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

well, i'm sure he learned his lesson. it was probably all a big accident anyway. he'll never do anything like that again i am sure. [/sarc]
― Albert Einstein
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

AlanH wrote:
Nabcom wrote:Why shouldn't he get out? He was sentenced to "life' (Canada style), and has served his time. Now someone wants to change the rules?

Nab

He is eligible for parole, it does not mean that he has served his life sentence, his release will be dependent on the decision made by the parole board, based on public statements made by others, and by himself. I don't think he should get out, but then again, I'm all for the death penalty.

Is 25 years not the maximum that we call 'life' Alan? I agree, we should have hanged him and be done with it.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

well what about Karla's man, old what's his face. (LOL i know, great memory) i don't see him ever getting out.
― Albert Einstein
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

Nabcom wrote:
AlanH wrote:

Nab

Is 25 years not the maximum that we call 'life' Alan? I agree, we should have hanged him and be done with it.

Nab

Sort of, I found this on Wiki, which explains it much better than I. OOps, added the link as well..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_imprisonment#Canada

Canada

Life imprisonment means that the offender will be under supervision, whether in prison or in the community, for the rest of their life. The maximum sentence is life imprisonment without the possibility of parole for 25 years, but if they have a parole, every such year, they can stay in the prison for the rest of the natural life if not paroled. There is no guarantee that parole will be granted if the National Parole Board determines that the offender still poses a risk to society. At the present time, the so-called Faint-Hope Clause, which specifies those serving a life term have a chance to apply for parole after 15 years, as opposed to the maximum of 25, is still in force. However, the new Conservative Government, elected to a minority in October 2008, has pledged to repeal the Faint-Hope Clause. Moreover, the courts may apply a dangerous offender designation, which is in fact an indeterminate sentence: no minimum and no maximum, but parole review occurs every 7 years. Current sentencing guidelines, provided by the legislative leaders to judges of all levels on an annual basis, ensure that both a "life" sentence and the "dangerous offender" designation are very rarely used, even when the offender is found guilty for particularly grievous offences. Second degree murder carries a mandatory sentence of life imprisonment without parole for between 10 and 25 years; first degree murder carries a mandatory sentence of life imprisonment without parole for 25 years.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

ferri wrote:well what about Karla's man, old what's his face. (LOL i know, great memory) i don't see him ever getting out.

He probably will ferri. We shudda hanged him too, but Canadian society is made up of too many bleeding hearts that think such riff raff can be "salvaged" to the ultimate benefit of society.

Nab
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

― Albert Einstein
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

That's good :sunshine: , but I think he should have been giving 25 years for each member of that family. Back 25 years ago
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

All I can say is...

See you in two years you sick f***. I doubt he'll ever actually get parole, just too many people against it.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Ferri - that's Paul Bernardo. Why did Karla get off so easy? Troublesome thing though, even though we have absolute guilty verdicts Canada has had at least 5 convictions overturned after new DNA evidence, or rather, superior technologies. David Milgard, whose mother was recently criticized for working so hard to get his conviction overturned, is lucky Canada does not have a death penalty.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

thanks! i am too lazy to look much up.
― Albert Einstein

Return to “B.C.”