Vancouver night clubs from the 60's 70's and 80's

bumblebuns
Fledgling

Re: Vancouver night clubs from the 60's 70's and 80's

Post by bumblebuns »

omisimaw wrote:Anyone remember the name of the restaurant that later became a Keg below Oil Can Harry's???? They had the best, the very best, eggs bennie at 3 am LOL

Was it Caesar's at Hornby and Dunsmuir?
Bumblebuns
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

omisimaw wrote:Anyone remember the name of the restaurant that later became a Keg below Oil Can Harry's???? They had the best, the very best, eggs bennie at 3 am LOL

bumblebuns wrote:Was it Caesar's at Hornby and Dunsmuir?

I believe so! and then it turned into a Keg... not sure what is there now
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
bumblebuns
Fledgling

Post by bumblebuns »

I believe so! and then it turned into a Keg... not sure what is there now[/quote]

I think it was called the Keg Caesar's for a while at least. I worked kitty-corner from there for a while. I also seem to recall that our notorious Kelowna restaurateur, one J. Troll, was involved.
Bumblebuns
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

If it was Ceasars Keg then that is not the original restaurant I was thinking about.....

It was super trendy for the day and the definite "in" spot when the clubs closed in the area.
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
ScottAllanMortgages

Post by ScottAllanMortgages »

The bygone era of actually good clubs in Vancouver. Nowadays it's getting pretty dodgy. Cookie cutter techno music and flashing lights. We really need some new themes.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Wouldn't it be great to have a real live Oil Can Harry's again, or another fun one was over off 4th near the Granville Bridge that was a beautiful venue where you could look down on the dance floor in an old heritage building of some sort....
Forgot the name of the club and the building but remember it was a going concern for awhile and very quaint

And yes ... real live music that you can dance to and that you can just sit and have a conversation over .... now that would be refreshing!
Johnny Vintage

Post by Johnny Vintage »

I use to be in a rock band back in the early 70's. The band was called Tank. We played most of the clubs in Vancouver and were in the same booking agency as Sweeney Tod and Heart. Axis Entertainment. We used to open for Sweeney a lot in their bigger gigs.

When disco hit, the live club scene died and Tank tanked. Too bad. It was a great life.

Some of the clubs I so far have not seen on here were:

The Zodiac and Zeldas, both in New Westminster. I used to hang with Ron Tobac from Prism just before they came out with that great first album, with Spaceship Superstar. Went to high school with him too.

We used to be blown away by the guitarist in a band called Handley Page. Use to go and see them if we weren't booked.

Some of us made it. He did. He's Bryan Adams long time guitarist. Nick Gilder of Sweeney Tod is still touring and of course Heart.

Lots of great bands played at the Cariboo in Coquitlam. Terry towel table cloths and 20 cents for a glass of beer. Crap, what has happened!! There was also a nightclub there but I can't remember the name.

The band scene in greater Vancouver just sucks now. Too bad.
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

I think Tank sounds familiar. I definitely remember seeing Sweeney Tod and Heart in Vancouver back in the late 70's.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Heart played at our Grad at the Flame on Canada Way in the early 70's.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

Best concert I ever saw was Heart backing up April Wine at the Gardens. 1978 or 1979 I think.
south van man

Post by south van man »

what was the pub kittycorner to seymour billiards. getting ready for the body shop we would shoot pool ,have a beer and do d.a. before
south van man

Post by south van man »

lotus hotel just up from woodwards ,gay bar.
suzzettemonique

Post by suzzettemonique »

I'd like to hear from some of the entertainers from back in the day. I worked most of these clubs. Actually the Shanghai Junk was the name of the Kubla Khan first. I was a mystery dancer and had to wear a mask before I entered the club and had to keep it on all night. One of Tommy's idea's. Does anyone remember Taps Harris
suzzettemonique

Post by suzzettemonique »

Izzy's
Danny Baceda's
Gary Taylors
Smilin Budda
Kit Kat Club
New Delhi
Penthouse
Number 5 Orange
Lotus
Balmoral
Cobalt
Circus
Oil Can Harry's
Shanghai Junk
and more that I"ve forgotten
jvdlee

Post by jvdlee »

Wow Rohan's Rockpile, If I remember correctly it was on west 4th ave. one block east of MacDonald.

Return to “B.C.”