Garage
Blackstone
Zazibar
Gassy Jacks
The Anchor
pippipm

Re: Vancouver night clubs from the 60's 70's and 80's

Post by pippipm »

I am trying to remember the name of a nighclub near the corner of East Broadway and Kingsway. They played mostly alternative music I think.
slant6er

Post by slant6er »

What an awesome trip down memory lane, this list. As a teenager in early 70s I spent many a past-midnight hour at the Egress. Intimate blues club on Beatty Street, cab drivers (and their pals!) got in for free, depending on who was on the door. Sonny Terry/ Brownie McGee, Mose Allison, Odetta, Tim Buckley, Hank Jr, Muddy Waters, John Hammond, Willie Dixon are some greats I saw. I remember sitting there, night after night, absolutely transfixed, and electrified, to be in the presence of legends. It was <the> place to be for the blues.

I remember the Stanley Park B-Ins, including the first one where someone launched a huge balloon full of joints, that rose way up over the crowd and was shot open with an arrow... or so my memory goes... Hari Krishna's were gettin down with everyone else, wine flowed...

And Rohan's, over at McDonald on 4th. Cement City Cowboys, Bruce Miller, Hometown Band, Gary Cramer... Some nights I'd help Crazy Michael sweep up afterwards, find all sorts of weird ingestibles.

Also the 70s, there was an after-hours jazz bar downstairs from the alley between Main n Kingsway, off Broadway. Can't remember its name, but heading out for it at that time of night earned me the nickname 'Midnight' with my housemates. Doc Fingers n Ross Barrett used to play there. Dark apple juices!

and there was a tiny place upstairs off Hastings St, another after-hrs jazz joint, more dark apple juice (high-test, as opposed to the regular stuff).

Love the reminiscing here. It was my town once, these were some of my favourite haunts.
slant6er

Post by slant6er »

I haveta say, muchas thanks to the creator/s of this forum. I stumbled upon it tonight while searching for the name of a long-gone blues club I knew. Read all the posts in one sitting. And found the name! thanks to 'hobbyguy' from Aug 28/13.

It's a comfort to hear from others who were there too (60s, 70s). The older I get, the more invisible I feel, almost like I wasn't ever there. Or here. So thanks again; good timing.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

slant6er wrote:It's a comfort to hear from others who were there too (60s, 70s). The older I get, the more invisible I feel, almost like I wasn't ever there. Or here. So thanks again; good timing.

Hehe. Doubly difficult as memory fades when the memory was pretty foggy to start with.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Rellic

Post by Rellic »

Good memories slant6er I was just out of My teen years in the early 70's and the Egress was also one of My favorite places. Get an early & late show diner reservation and a table against the stage. medium rare steak and all the trimmings followed with an intimate acoustic evening with a grand piano and Taj Mahal.

Brian T.
slant6er

Post by slant6er »

I worked the door at Soft Rock Cafe (4th Ave near Maple) in late 70s/early 80s, more of a mellow, intimate, folk vibe; coffee and dessert. Ferron, Taj Mahal... many of the acts that'd come to town for Vanc Folk Music Fest would play here too. People would come from Bellingham and Seattle for some of the shows. I always managed to find a seat for a serious fan, no matter how packed it got.

I remember a deaf mime/dance troupe from... Seattle I think. They utilized the feel of the bass to scaffold their moves... blew me away with a piece done to Springsteen's The Work. Lotta magic happened those days; you just had to show up.

Hey Relic, who knows but we may've crossed paths at Egress, even shared a table. I used to show up late, usually alone, and just sat wherever there was room and a welcoming nod. There was an after-hours jazz club nearby that I used to head to afterwards sometimes, pop back out around dawn. can't remember the name...?
Rellic

Post by Rellic »

The world gets smaller with every year We age slant, We may have shared a table and a smile somewhere. For a while before #5 Orange put in the stage and pole and relied on the dozen or so Bose 901's and a great DJ I became such a regular that no mater the line at the door it was always open for Me and My guest. Doormen knew regulars could find their own seat anywhere and not be a bother.
I just recently connected with an old friend now like Me living here in Vernon that used to manage and do all the bookings for Gassy Jacks Place. Our lunches somehow become 2 hr meetings.
Anything about Vancouver past 73 is unfamiliar to Me as that is the Year I left the lower mainland.
Brian T.
1Laceylady

Post by 1Laceylady »

Hello everyone...
This whole forum is very interesting. Some I agree with and some I don't , but that is not why I have entered in here.
In the mid 70's there was a club or clubs and bars all in one Big elaborate building. Not sure if it was top of Hastings or Broadway. Thought maybe Beceda had something to do with it. Any info to jog the old memory would be so helpful.
The 70's was a GREAT era to those who loved to enjoy a good life and times.
Evergreen206

Post by Evergreen206 »

The drive in near the Skyline was an A&W.
Evergreen206

Post by Evergreen206 »

Does anyone remember The Daisy just underneath the Granville St bridge, close to 2nd and Pine I would guess.
Evergreen206

Re: Vancouver Night Clubs from the 60's 70's and 80's

Post by Evergreen206 »

omisimaw wrote:
Jo wrote:The Body Shop!

The name is familiar but the memory is blocking the location..

Still trying to remember the name of the club that was downstairs at the intersection of Richards, Water and Cordova... remember the owners, remember the good times but the name excapes me
Think you may be thinking of Pharos Retreat

I remember the club in New West by the Ole Spaget factory, across from the College Pub (also a great meeting place), up the hill from the Keg. Night Train revue played there lots...
Evergreen206

Post by Evergreen206 »

The hotel on the east side of Lions Gate Brige was The Internatioanl Plaza Hotel.
Evergreen206

Post by Evergreen206 »

omisimaw wrote:Wouldn't it be great to have a real live Oil Can Harry's again, or another fun one was over off 4th near the Granville Bridge that was a beautiful venue where you could look down on the dance floor in an old heritage building of some sort....
Forgot the name of the club and the building but remember it was a going concern for awhile and very quaint

And yes ... real live music that you can dance to and that you can just sit and have a conversation over .... now that would be refreshing!

I believe that was The Daisy -great place-legal drinking age was 21 then but got in when I was 19 with an older guy. He knew the door man and we used to get right in when there was a long line up outside. The speakers were so tall and loud you seemed to vibrate the next day. Not a good thing when have a hang over!
rsampson78

Post by rsampson78 »

Does anyone know if there was a club called the TopHat in Vancouver BC? I am trying to find a history on this club table and was told by a client that it could have been from the "TopHat" nightclub in Vancouver BC. If anyone has any information, it would be greatly apprieciated. I have attached a picture of the table. Thanks!
Attachments
Photo 2017-07-06, 9 14 56 PM.jpg

Return to “B.C.”