Osoyoos border crossing stories?

Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Re: Osoyoos border crossing stories?

Post by Gixxer »

People that try and cross any border with marijuana are complete idiots.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Si. Muy loco.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

njluck wrote:Sorry to bring up an old thread but I've had multiple encounters with the Orville border patrol on the same incident recently and it was an absolute nightmare. I have a legal medical marijuana card and was carrying legally in Canada. I don't frequent this area often and made a wrong turn, ended up at the border. They arrested me, took me to county jail for 5 days, and I'm looking at over $10,000 in legal fees with potential 5 years of jail time in the US. While in jail, they made it as difficult as possible to get out including ignoring my requests to contact the Canadian Consulate (Which is illegal). It ended up taking 5 friends who I did not know was helping to get me out until the 4th day that managed to bail me out with a substantial amount of money. I had no intention of going to the US but rather just took a wrong turn.

Talking to my lawyer, this is so common (especially during Shamballa), that I do feel a little less stupid, however, I'm still stupid. I feel that the road was not properly marked and up to a certain point, the Government should take more steps to let the person know they are about the cross a border, and offer a chance to turn around.

The bottom line is the system is designed this way to get people in jail, fine them, or create situations where they can lock people up. The jails make money per inmate so it's in their best interest to have you in there as long as possible. If you don't have money for bail or to cover legal fees/fines like I did, you serve time. As much as the border is there for protection, it's also a way for them to create new channels of funneling people into the jail and "justice" system. This is bad business, it shouldn't be allowed to continue, but it's going to, and I feel sorry for the US border guys who are forced to enforce this farce.

Is this a stupid question? Why didn't you just say "Oh my goodness, I did not mean to cross the border!" and then ask to simply drive around and back into Canada? People make mistakes...
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

*removed* he breaks the law and cries about it idiot.
Last edited by Merry on Apr 11th, 2014, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unsubstantiated statement
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

There's so many holes in this guys story. He's had multiple encounters with orville border patrol, but doesnt know when he's crossing the border? There's huge signs stating that there's a border crossing, with places to turn around before attempting to cross. They cant arrest you until you cross over on to US soil. To say he made a wrong turn and accidentally ended up in the US seems false.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I agree but as soon as you are at the line up you are in the US, so yes he could be arrested there.
The story still smells.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Came through the border yesterday, after a 45 hour trip to Washington state. The CBSA agent was professional, polite and fair in all respects. No complaints whatsoever.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

One of my favorite shows on TV right now is "Border Security" Its amazing how people think they can be sneaky and try to slipp something by the officers.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

njluck wrote:Sorry to bring up an old thread but I've had multiple encounters with the Orville border patrol on the same incident recently and it was an absolute nightmare. I have a legal medical marijuana card and was carrying legally in Canada. I don't frequent this area often and made a wrong turn, ended up at the border. They arrested me, took me to county jail for 5 days, and I'm looking at over $10,000 in legal fees with potential 5 years of jail time in the US. While in jail, they made it as difficult as possible to get out including ignoring my requests to contact the Canadian Consulate (Which is illegal). It ended up taking 5 friends who I did not know was helping to get me out until the 4th day that managed to bail me out with a substantial amount of money. I had no intention of going to the US but rather just took a wrong turn.

Talking to my lawyer, this is so common (especially during Shamballa), that I do feel a little less stupid, however, I'm still stupid. I feel that the road was not properly marked and up to a certain point, the Government should take more steps to let the person know they are about the cross a border, and offer a chance to turn around.

The bottom line is the system is designed this way to get people in jail, fine them, or create situations where they can lock people up. The jails make money per inmate so it's in their best interest to have you in there as long as possible. If you don't have money for bail or to cover legal fees/fines like I did, you serve time. As much as the border is there for protection, it's also a way for them to create new channels of funneling people into the jail and "justice" system. This is bad business, it shouldn't be allowed to continue, but it's going to, and I feel sorry for the US border guys who are forced to enforce this farce.

I doubt there is anyone in this world that believes your story as the way it happened and the "create new channels" theory
sounds like you were stoned out of your mind
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

Gixxer wrote:People that try and cross any border with marijuana are complete idiots.

now that's a true story
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

anyone out there know if your over your $800PP and its food that causes the overage do u still have to pay the 12%(gst and pst)??? on the overage?
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

The answer to your question could most reliably be acquired by calling the nearest CBSA office. People generally have a lot of different opinions about these matters, to the best source of info would be CBSA.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

Treblehook wrote:The answer to your question could most reliably be acquired by calling the nearest CBSA office. People generally have a lot of different opinions about these matters, to the best source of info would be CBSA.

AGREED I have a pretty fair idea of what the costs will be.Just thought someone may have experienced such in the last month or 2.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

wanderingman wrote:anyone out there know if your over your $800PP and its food that causes the overage do u still have to pay the 12%(gst and pst)??? on the overage?

12% doesn't apply to most groceries as it is. Most basic groceries are tax exempt. Taxes tend to apply to convenience foods, snack foods, etc. There are also limitations on the quantities of certain foods you can bring over the border (like meat and dairy) as well as certain foods (i.e. produce) you're not permitted to bring into Canada at all.

Additionally, there is a 7% duty that is applied to the first $300 that you might be over the allowable $800 limit. So at best you're looking at fairly minimal duty there.
Midnite
Fledgling

Post by Midnite »

wanderingman wrote:anyone out there know if your over your $800PP and its food that causes the overage do u still have to pay the 12%(gst and pst)??? on the overage?

Probably not, allowed groceries seem to be a freebee. It seems there is minimal staff therefore they are very forgiving. Show respect and you will be treated with respect. No guarantees but in my regular dealings at the border I have nothing to complain about.
I believe they have been instructed to allow " minimal" overages possibly because collection costs would exceed revenue.

Return to “B.C.”