Osoyoos border crossing stories?

NotLikeYou
Board Meister

Osoyoos border crossing stories?

Post by NotLikeYou »

I have been hearing more and more BAD stories about how the US treats people crossing the border specificly in the Osoyoos area.
I also wanted to know IF you are treated unfairly and made to do things against your will, IS there some sort of group/agency that will step in for this?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Osoyoos border crossing stories?

Post by Glacier »

I have crossed the border at Osoyoos and the nearby Nighthawk crossing a 100 times and have never had a problem. I was search once, but they were very polite and professional.

I was treated rudely once, but that was at the Cascade crossing east of Grand Forks.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I think one of the things Canadians tend to forget is that when they cross the Canada/US border, they are entering a foreign country. Sure, they are very much like us and speak English (although their spelling is debatable :D), and they use a monetary system of dollars which we can understand easily. Sure, there are companies that operate in both countries and sell their products in both countries so we are familiar with many of the brands we shop for down there ...

But it is still a foreign country and we need to remember that. Just sharing a common border does not give us the right to think they can't refuse us or search us.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Advocate
Guru

Post by Advocate »

grammafreddy wrote:
But it is still a foreign country and we need to remember that. Just sharing a common border does not give us the right to think they can't refuse us or search us.

Indeed, the border crossing guards have more power than police with regard to search and seizure.
They are the only authority who can look up your personal orifices without your permission.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

One experience I had crossing south at Osoyoos I found the woman rather abrupt, but was told "no, she was really quite good". Especially considering the guy in front of us lipped her off and got his car and luggage searched.

Next time friend and I went across (same spot) we were questioned by two ladies who wanted to know why we were bringing an empty trailer. Told them we were picking up items being given by friend's American parents, they gave us all kinds of information about forms that needed to be faxed, where to etc. They also gave us contact info for the Canadian side. We chatted about hair colours (ours didn't match our photos) and they lamented gov't jobs that kept them from experimenting with funky tones. I guess because there wasn't a line up maybe they just felt more relaxed?

On the way back with a trailer load of stuff (nothing new, parents were cleaning out garage) we were stopped by American guards (before Canadian side) to make sure all our paperwork was in order. They joked around about the mechano and star wars toys, and implied that we could take our time while they "examined" the toys. :dyinglaughing: They were friendly and wonderful and made the trip across a lot less stressful. We weren't sure all the paperwork was in order, and everyone was just great. When the Canadian guy found out how old all the stuff was he just waved us through. We had all the new stuff itemized with receipts and he smiled and told us he trusted us. So, no problems there!
I haven't failed until I quit.
goalie
Übergod

Post by goalie »

I find the Canadian side to be worse. They are real pieces of work.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Yeah, same here. US border agents tend to be very professional and easy to talk to.

Canadian side are always worse than US counterparts. Especially if you fly into YVR.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

goalie wrote:I find the Canadian side to be worse. They are real pieces of work.

I guess it depends on how one defines worse. If you mean which side is harder to get through, I would say the U.S., but if you mean which side is not going to notice things they should like drugs and weapons smuggling, the nod goes to Canada.

I have a much easier time with the Canadian side because they seem a lot more lazier than their U.S. counterparts. Plus they believe whatever you tell them. I have never had a Canadian official question a single thing I told them. Last time I came through the border (was this fall), they didn't even ask for my passport or my children's documentation.

On the U.S. side they often verify what you are saying. They usually ask my kids if I am indeed their dad, and will from time to time check my luggage.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

American customs suck. Belligerent power hungry *bleep*. Always problems with them and never canadians. I never go down there. Whatever they have to offer ain't worth the hassle. I might as well wrap a towel around my head and grow a grizzly beard and scream praise Allah
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Maybe it is more the attitude of the people crossing the border that causes the problems and not the border guard. Some of them could use a humor adjustment though.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

WhatThe wrote:American customs suck. Belligerent power hungry *bleep*. Always problems with them and never canadians. I never go down there. Whatever they have to offer ain't worth the hassle. I might as well wrap a towel around my head and grow a grizzly beard and scream praise Allah

If you never go down there,how do you always have problems with them ?
Black Dogs Matter
netfreak
Übergod

Post by netfreak »

Both from my experience as well as a friend of mine, it seems that it is much easier leaving the country than getting back in. Canadian guards grilled my friend trying to catch him in a lie since they refused to believe anyone would drive to the US just for a day cruise. Searched his car, made him explain every single item in there (as in his reflective construction uniform, etc).
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Last time I was getting back to Canada, I crossed at Grandforks. Canada Border Agency did have questions for me (since I was coming in with a full load of boxes in the back of my truck), searched the truck, did a swap test inside the cab, and even looked at my sandwich.

But all of it was done very professionally and they did explain every single reason why they're doing it.

I guess it's YVR agents who tend to be *bleep* due to high volume of visitors and high profile.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

dogspoiler wrote:
WhatThe wrote:American customs suck. Belligerent power hungry *bleep*. Always problems with them and never canadians. I never go down there. Whatever they have to offer ain't worth the hassle. I might as well wrap a towel around my head and grow a grizzly beard and scream praise Allah

If you never go down there,how do you always have problems with them ?

....anymore...
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Bsuds wrote:Maybe it is more the attitude of the people crossing the border that causes the problems and not the border guard. Some of them could use a humor adjustment though.

Knowing what they can do I don't have attitudes with them, it's as if they are single handedly responsible for the security of the nation, they have the attitude

Return to “B.C.”