Osoyoos border crossing stories?

Woodenhead
Guru

Re: Osoyoos border crossing stories?

Post by Woodenhead »

Never crossed there. But I used to cross at Niagara all the time. Used to be no big deal. I've even been across the border, sitting on the roof of a car, wearing a toga, with a mini-keg of beer on my lap. Border guard: "You must be Canadian - have fun."

Times have changed.
Your bias suits you.
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

Never had a problem crossing into the US. Coming back into Canada was more unpleasant at times. And especially the Osoyoos border whereby they have 1 lane open and a long line up of vehicles. Yes the Canadian guard asked all my receipts for items purchased and I was ready for that. Could have been a bit more friendly tho. Bit of a smile goes a long way. Ah well they just do their jobs.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Always have everything listed and easy to find if necessary. Iv'e crossed in Ont., Man., Sask., Alb., and BC. Iv'e crossed with a motorhome with 1,000.00 plus worth of purchases and never had a problem. Iv'e crossed into the states with a loaded Motorhome and in 30 years have had one guard that checked the fridge for fruit. I've told them I have pets and never even had them ask for their shot record. I've crossed borders in european borders and the mexican border numerous times. I've over bought (usually cigarettes and alcohol), told them, walked in and paid the duty. Even then they never checked further. And during it all I've never had a hard time. A couple of quick peaks in bags and my fridge that time have been the worst.

I find Osoyoos one of the best. Staight through either way.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
animal lover1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by animal lover1 »

Had someone in my business the other day who showed me the customs bill for $300 she was given by the US Border Protection. Her crime-failing to declare 4 WHOLE GRAPEFRUITS.......she was understandably upset.
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

animal lover1 wrote:Had someone in my business the other day who showed me the customs bill for $300 she was given by the US Border Protection. Her crime-failing to declare 4 WHOLE GRAPEFRUITS.......she was understandably upset.

Oh well, you must declare everything. Crossing the border in the next couple weeks expect possible long delays that is Washington to Canada.
njluck

Post by njluck »

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I've had multiple encounters with the Orville border patrol on the same incident recently and it was an absolute nightmare. I have a legal medical marijuana card and was carrying legally in Canada. I don't frequent this area often and made a wrong turn, ended up at the border. They arrested me, took me to county jail for 5 days, and I'm looking at over $10,000 in legal fees with potential 5 years of jail time in the US. While in jail, they made it as difficult as possible to get out including ignoring my requests to contact the Canadian Consulate (Which is illegal). It ended up taking 5 friends who I did not know was helping to get me out until the 4th day that managed to bail me out with a substantial amount of money. I had no intention of going to the US but rather just took a wrong turn.

Talking to my lawyer, this is so common (especially during Shamballa), that I do feel a little less stupid, however, I'm still stupid. I feel that the road was not properly marked and up to a certain point, the Government should take more steps to let the person know they are about the cross a border, and offer a chance to turn around.

The bottom line is the system is designed this way to get people in jail, fine them, or create situations where they can lock people up. The jails make money per inmate so it's in their best interest to have you in there as long as possible. If you don't have money for bail or to cover legal fees/fines like I did, you serve time. As much as the border is there for protection, it's also a way for them to create new channels of funneling people into the jail and "justice" system. This is bad business, it shouldn't be allowed to continue, but it's going to, and I feel sorry for the US border guys who are forced to enforce this farce.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

I won't get into my skepticism surrounding not turning around at the border prior to entering the lineup....

A certain irony where someone in legal possession of something in Canada, enters a US state, where possession of the same substance is legal and gets arrested because Federally that substance is illegal.

I don't use pot, medicinally or recreationally but I find it strange, (but I know it's true) that if a Canadian is entering Washington state at the US Canada border and says they are entering Washington to smoke pot, they will be prohibited entry.

As for incarceration, the US is the best ! (at being the worst)

The US has more people in prison than any other country. Also per 100,000 they are the most.

But it must be working, look at their low crime rate. NOT.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Just crossed at Osoyoos for the umpteenth time. We were loaded to the hilt, within $ limits, had everything listed and literally drove straight through, 5 minute wait. Get the list of what is okay and what is not, list what you have and total it, you won't have any problem. No Matter which way you are going if you " forget" to claim something you are liable for huge fines as was mentioned earlier. Drugs are also a huge no, no either way.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

If you can't figure out how to do a u turn before entering the border then you belong in jail.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

why smoke pot can you not use anything else that is legal in us and elsewhere. this story stinks of pretended ignorance and blame the govt.shame on you.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Yah, I'm not buyin the whole didn't know I was crossing the border thing. I have crossed there many many times and it is as well marked as any border crossing. I even seem to remember a "last chance" sign just before you get there?

And not that I smoke weed or whatever for any reason but if I had a permit to smoke it, I don't think I would attempt to take my "prescription" with me because the whole medical thing surrounding it is still new.

It sounds risky to me.

I have never been detained crossing the border, anywhere. My daddy taught me to be polite, answer the questions asked of you and be honest about what you have. Simple really.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Yes there couldn't have been very much attention paid to where he was going. It is very plainly marked unless you are asleep at the wheel.

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Smurf wrote:Yes there couldn't have been very much attention paid to where he was going. It is very plainly marked unless you are asleep at the wheel.

Or stoned out of your tree.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Possibility. Possibly that was why he was detained so long and had such expensive bail. They probably don't care if he was legally high. If there is such a thing when you are driving. Hopefully we would do the same.

twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

I'll take a border guard over an RCMP officer any day of the week.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “B.C.”